Sign in to follow this  
whfan74

Lady Ranger Commences

whfan74

Well the project "Lady Ranger" is finally commencing. This tractor has started off as a 1966 L-156 Lawn Ranger. This tractor was picked out for my little girl who is almost 6 years old. Though she isn't ready to have her first solo, I thought it would be a good time to get this tractor started and have it ready for her to enjoy. I will try and get to work on this as soon as possible but everything is located in dad's barn 20 minutes away. I would like it to be ready for the show in Fort Wayne at the Coliseum the end of March. I am sure I will be able to have it done by then........well at least I hope.

Here is what I had to start with.............

LawnRangerStart.jpg

It was a pretty straight tractor that is missing the seat assembly. Might go with a repro or a knock off. $$$$ talks on this one. The motor smoked like a chimney so off it came and had another Techy that was ready to go. Front rims were rusted through, thankfully we had two NOS two piece rims for the tractor. Tires were trashed as you could see the tubes through them. Somehow Santa knew that I needed a set for the tractor so he put a set of fronts under the tree for me this past year. The backs were taken off and will be replaced with a nice set of Carlisle Lug tires.

After one night here is what I had and I was almost ready to head off to the sandblaster and the powder coater.

LawnRangerTearDown.jpg

So back the first week of December the tractor traveled down the road and was dropped off to get a new make up job. The powder for this tractor was tough to get at the end of the year. Every supplier seemed to be out of it. So what started off as a 2 week estimate to have it done, quickly turned in to 5 weeks to the day. I was pleasantly suprised to stop in after work today and find this very nice pile of parts. Sorry for the shadows and the sun. It truly doesn't show the color of this tractor.

PinkTractor.jpg

Well folks no need to adjust your computer screen. Your eyes are not deceiving you.........it is a pink tractor. Pretty much Pepto Bismol pink to be exact. My little girl said this past summer that she would love to have a pink tractor after she saw a big pink Farmall at the county fair. So the tractor was picked out and here is where we are.

Of course Vinylguy (Terry) was kind of enough to hook me up with a one of a kind decal package for my little girls tractor. Everything is staying stock except for the color and one little twist to the decals............got rid of the Lawn and added in Lady for this personalized refurbish.

Here is the copy of the decals that was sent for my approval. Now try and use your imagination and what you see as white is actually the brushed aluminum. They turned out really nice. Thanks again Terry!

LadyRangerdecals.jpg

Well I hope to keep this updated more often than the Commando 8 refurbish. I have a lot of motivation for this one and was excited to show it to my daughter tonight. Her smile was from ear to ear........now I can only imagine what it will be when this is completed. Hope you enjoy following along with us in this next adventure.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Never thought I'd be looking forward to seeing a pink tractor done up. :)

You'll have to share some picts of the big reveal with us here on the forum. :eusa-think:

Sounds like new calender material if you ask me. :scratchead:

Jake Kuhn

It looks like she will really enjoy it scott! Those decals really are cool :handgestures-thumbup:

Sparky

Your a great dad Scott! She'll be the happiest girl around when you present her with that.

Mike.........

whfan74

Thanks you guys. I wish I had time to head over there and get to work on it. Hopefully Wednesday night will be the first opportunity that I can spend a few hours working on it. You can see the rear tires that are going to be mounted on it in the background. They are actually the ags that are on the front of our D-200.

She is a special little girl to me, can't wait to share this with her for many years to come.

kpinnc

I have three girls, and have been contemplating a similar design- but you've knocked this one out of the park. Like others have said, I'm looking forward to the finished product! I think it's great you are working so hard to have your daughter enjoy these great little machines! :woohoo:

can whlvr

thats great,the custom decals are nice too

whfan74

Thanks for the compliment guys. This one is very special to me and will be a joy to complete to say the least.

Took the day off from work today, called in for a substitute teacher and headed over to the barn to get started on this. Worked a solid 4 hours on it before I knocked off for lunch. Some things are a little slow going due to the fact that some powder coating gets in areas where the tolerance won't allow for it. So out comes the sandpaper and files to clean up some of the holes so everything fits the way it should. I will get a little better at making sure some of these areas are taped off properly.

Here is where I left it before lunch.............

LadyRanger.jpg

Had to do some running around after lunch and was only spend a little more time in the shop before calling it quits for the day. I am pleased with the progress that was done today. Was hoping to get a little further, but the project isn't going anywhere. Ran in to a couple snags...........some parts were mixed in with our 701 and they came back red, so those will be redone. A few cosmetic things need to be changed. Need to grab some tubes to be on the safe side and install the new shoes on this. Working with a great friend on a replacement seat for this. Still looking for the correct steering wheel for this L-156. If you have one in great shape, please let me know.

When I locked up the barn and hit the lights, this is what was patiently waiting for me to come back yet another day......

LadyRanger1.jpg

Hope all of you are enjoying a little part of this journey with me!

• Like 1

rmaynard

Great job so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Martin

looking good scott,

gotta love that powder...

just not where its in the way of getting parts together!

did you have to spend much time preparing parts before powder? ie rust pitting, dents, worn out parts etc?

really like the fact that parts are ready to install as soon as they are cooled down from the oven. no waiting for them to harden and as long as you dont go crazy, no scratches or paint damage. sometimes helps if you have some brush touch up the same color though, just in case the unthinkable happens....... :scared-eek:

Jake Kuhn

Looks great Scott :handgestures-thumbup:

dclarke

I'm going to enjoy watching this Scott, can't wait to see those decals on it. :thumbs:

VinsRJ

Look great! I know my daughter would love to have a pink tractor too.......

massey

Those decals are going to be the "finishing touch" to make this look complete.

JC 1965

Great job Scott, Just think, if that tractor is taken good care of, someday your daughter can tell her children and even grand children that you built it special for her. How neat is that? :thumbs2:

• Like 2

whfan74

Thanks guys! I haven't had the opportunity to get some more done on it. Hoping to in the next few days. I am pretty sure I have located some parts that I was wanting to make it look correct. May get a chance to do some wrenching tonight. We will have to wait and see.

Martin......it was a pretty straight tractor and didn't need much. It was a good one to have done. I agree, grabbing the parts as soon as they cool and start installing is a very nice luxury.

Jerry........that is the plan. Even if she loses interest in it for a while, which I am pretty sure will happen, it will always be her tractor.

c161rat

Keep up the excellent work Scott

ol550

Scott, Got to say you got it goin on there. I had asked my daughter about her own Horse

back when she was 14 or so. She too wanted a pink one, but with purple wheels. Years

passed and never got around to fixing one for her. I can guarantee my granddaughter

who is almost 2 will have one. I have a 32E that I plan to fix for her.

And all you guys out there get going on the kids memories before it's too late, Mike

• Like 1

whfan74

And all you guys out there get going on the kids memories before it's too late, Mike

Couldn't have said it better myself Mike!

whfan74

Well it has been week since I had the Lady Ranger come back from the powder coater. Since last Tuesday, when I took the day off, I haven't been able to get as much done. I have run in to some snags, which happens with every refurbish, but nothing that can't be taken care of. Some of the pink parts ended up getting mixed in with the red ones so, they will need to head back over to be powder coated again. Had a tough time getting the tires off the old rims, but they went on to the new rims without too many problems at all. Put a couple little scratches in the tractor.........live and learn I guess.

I was able to get some nice things to help finish off the tractor this weekend. Gene Simpson, formerly known as Haasman35 provided me with the correct seat pan and replacement seat cover for the tractor as well as a set of hood screws. This morning I was able to meet up with Stephen Jones, aka Rollerman, and picked up an awesome two spoke steering wheel. Thanks guys.....getting these items will make the tractor special!

Well I am happy to say this tractor is up on it's own feet right now and off of the jackstands. I still have some things that I can get accomplished, but am going to have to wait to progress in some areas until I get the parts back from the powder coater. Also going to give me little girl a nice little accessory to go with her tractor. When that comes back from the powder coater, I will be sure to post pictures of it as well.

Here is where I finished off this afternoon. Not a whole lot done, but making progress nonetheless...............

LadyRanger2.jpg

LadyRanger3.jpg

When I complete this one, I am going to focus my attention toward tearing down my 500 special for my little boy. This one will stay red and look stock. Even though he is only 2 years old he has tugged at my heart when he saw his sister's tractor coming together. He looked at me and said "Daddy I want a tractor".....I couldn't resist. He has quite a few years before he can start off on his own but I need to get little brother taken care of as well.

Then the plot thickens, as it always does. My wife looks at me after talking about my daughter's tractor and says "Hey I want a tractor too!" So the madness begins. Of course her favorite color isn't red.............but rather yellow. I thought what the heck..........she never wants anything to do with the hobby and if this is all it takes to get her involved in it, then I am all for it. The good news is I need to find another tractor. This is turning out ok in my favor.

So of course it could stop there but why should it? I was chatting with dad on the phone and he told my mom about the future plans. Of course mom doesn't want to be left out so dad is on the search for one for her as well. I am sure she will want something other than red so I am sure before we are all done we will receive the nickname of the skittle gang, or something along that line.

Most importantly this is turning in to a great family hobby. Can't wait to see what future holds............stay tuned!

HorseFixer

It't comming together Scott :thumbs2: and Looking good. :bow-blue:

~Duke

Jake Kuhn

It looks great Scott and you can't argue with having the whole family in the hobby,Jake

wheelhorse656

scott thats a cool looking tractor let me say your duaghter is one lucky person to have a dad that loves her enough to build her a custom tractor.

Martin

its great that youve got the rest of the family interested too scott. i dont know what happened but, all of a sudden my wife now calls the 1054 'hers' and most of you guys know that kent claimed the 875 not long after i got it. all of them started off thinking i was weird for wanting to mess with these things, but now they see how much fun it is and they all want in too.......

Rollerman

Scott I see a Pepto commercial in your daughters future?

It's gona look great when your all done!