Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

1978 Cub Cadet 1000

CRE1992

Well about two weeks ago I picked up this Cub Cadet 1000. I wasn't looking for another garden tractor at the moment, but I was surfing craigslist, and saw it and realized it was only 2 miles away from my house and came with a mower deck, snow plow, and a Peco rear vacuum. So I went a took a look at it. I told the guy after looking it over that, if I could get the engine to run I would take it home with me. Well after running 12v to the coil, and using a jumper on the starter and a spritz of starting fluid she started and stalled. That was good enough for me. The price was right and it is all original. Along with coming with all of the original manuals, paperwork, and service receipts made it even better. I rebuilt the carb, flushed the gas tank, changed the fuel line, cleaned the battery ground point, and she started right up and runs great. When I tried to drive it I was met with a loud grinding/chattering noise and decided to pull the drive shaft cover since it has a drive shaft and automotive style clutch. Come to find out that the drive shaft is bent. So I have to fix that but otherwise it is a nice sound original unit. And sorry to the guys on chat who have heard me blabbing about it. Needless to say I wish it was as simple as a wheel horse, and I hope to find my future 416-8 soon! Here are some pictures and a video of it running!

Before Power washing:

121212010.jpg

121212011.jpg

After Power washing:

things004.jpg

things006.jpg

things008.jpg

things007.jpg

things010.jpg

Video of it running:

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb356/silveradostud/Cub%20Cadet%201000/?action=view&current=things009.mp4

hm12460

Nice machine, those rear ends are pretty tough. They are a little more difficult to access things as compared to a Wheel Horse, but not bad once you gain some experience on them. Be sure to check the ISO mounts under the engine. Kind of a sore spot on the quietline models.

Sparky

Nice! It looks better with those side panels off, more like a tractor :eusa-whistle: .

Mike...........

Jake Kuhn

Wow that thing is clean! I have to agree with Mike I also like it better without the side panels,Jake

T-Mo

Nice find. Those old Cub Cadets were stout machines. As for as being more difficult to work on, at least that is a wide frame model. The narrow frames of the '60s had even less room to work. Myself, I like the side panels in place and those were design with the side panels for optimal cooling. As someone mentioned, check the engine mounts, that was a wear problem on those and can cause clutch and drive train problems.

CRE1992

Nice find. Those old Cub Cadets were stout machines. As for as being more difficult to work on, at least that is a wide frame model. The narrow frames of the '60s had even less room to work. Myself, I like the side panels in place and those were design with the side panels for optimal cooling. As someone mentioned, check the engine mounts, that was a wear problem on those and can cause clutch and drive train problems.

Thanks. I havn't had a problem working on it as of yet, however being that it has drive shaft problems at the moment I will be replacing the mounts, haven't decided if I want to go with solid billet mounts that go in place of the rubber ones.

And then go through the clutch assembly and replace all of the bushings and the drive shaft. I want another wheel horse, and I may be looking to sell it in the future.

T-Mo

If you go to the Cub sites, they have an engine mount upgrade kits available on some of their vendor sites.

CRE1992

If you go to the Cub sites, they have an engine mount upgrade kits available on some of their vendor sites.

I already tore the cub apart and ordered billet engine mounts. I am solid mounting the engine. I also ordered a 304 alloy stainless drive shaft. I am having a fellow red square member (Rooster) resurface the clutch discs on a lathe. I am replacing the the fiber disc with a new fiber disc, or an aluminum one. I am also mounting a pillow block bearing on the middle of the drive shaft like Brian Miller did. I am also pulling the engine, cleaning the mouse nest out of the shrouds, and then pulling the head to decarbon it.

CubCadet100012.jpg

CubCadet100010.jpg

CubCadet100013.jpg

CubCadet100015.jpg

CubCadet100014.jpg

Pillow block is going to look like this, (this is from Brian Millers Website)

support.jpg

AMC RULES

Cool little tractor, even if it isn't our familiar :wh: red.

Ken B

I've had many Cubs thru the yrs. but never a nice clean original like your 1000. I personally like it with the side covers on, probably because I know it came with them and it looks like something is missing without them. Nice score.

CRE1992

I've had many Cubs thru the yrs. but never a nice clean original like your 1000. I personally like it with the side covers on, probably because I know it came with them and it looks like something is missing without them. Nice score.

Hey Ken I'll trade you this for one of your power kings :laughing-rofl: haha. I'll even shine it up for you when I'm done putting the new parts in. :ychain:

-Charles

whfan74

I know it seems to be backwards thinking but the covers need to be on in order for the engine to be cooled. They were designed that way for a purpose. Hard to believe but true.

CRE1992

I know it seems to be backwards thinking but the covers need to be on in order for the engine to be cooled. They were designed that way for a purpose. Hard to believe but true.

I know, I only had them off because I washed them by hand because the decals and pin striping would of came off if I power washed it.