Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

Breaking Ground

Paul D.

I've never been much of a gardener but my Wife and her parents are wanting to start a garden on her parents property. Never wanting to miss a chance to use my Tractor i am more than willing to help. What is the best way to break ground on a new garden? Right know there is grass where the new garden will be so breaking up the soil will be the toughest task i'm thinking. I don't have a Tractor mounted Rototiller (YET) but I would like to get one. The problem is as many of you know the wheelhorse tillers are tough to find. What are some other options for breaking up this ground. I am a Toolmaker by trade so fabricating an attachment is definitely an option I noticed the mid mount Harrow Cultivator idea and thought that may be a viable option but wanted to know what you guys thought. Most of you have way more experience than I do. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

What type of soil do you have? Rototillers will work on hard clay soil but it will be a bumpy ride and a bit hard on the tractor and rototiller. A moldboard plow will turn over compacted clay soil and it doesn't seem to be as abusive to the tractor. Some people will start with a single moldboard plow and then switch to a rototiller to break it up after.

The local farmers use moldboard plows in the fall and let the frost break it up in the spring.

Paul D.

I'm thinking there is alot of clay there soaybe I will start looking at moldboards to get some ideas

sorekiwi

Get in touch with Kelly. I dont know where you are in relation to him, but at least it's the same state!!

He probably has a tiller available and maybe a moldboard plow as well.

hm12460

I suspect that sod will be pretty hard to break up or turn over with a little garden tractor plow. It is common in Michigan to several different soil types in a relatively small area. Is it an option to hire a local farmer to do the initial first plowing with a regular farm tractor and moldboard plow?

Kelly

Get with me, I have tillers and mold board plows, I can tell you for the first time with sod still in place a tiller will not work very well, unless the soil is soft, or after a rain will help but can be a mess if too wet, a mold board will turn it over and then a tiller will break that up, if you keep it tilled a tiller should be all you need after the first time, heck I might rent you a mold board cheep if you buy a tiller. send me a PM I'm in MI 49076

I just looked your about 100 miles West of me.

can whlvr

i have both and rarly use the mold board,because the tiller will do every thing i need ,yes it takes many passes when busting new ground but it will get the job done,i recommend a tiller,they are handy once you own it,the mold boards are cool too,but you need to be turning over a large area,but can be found cheap

tgranthamfd

My vote is for the moldboard plow first. I busted up a food plot in a jonhson grass filled field that hadn't been touched in about 5 or 6 years. I mowed it as short as I could get it, then tore the hell out of it with a plow, and it looked very good. Later on I tilled over it twice but I think it was a bit to powdery.

GlenPettit

Depending on how large your garden will be; if you lay down black plastic and weight it down with rocks even right now (January 11 in Michigan, even if snow is on the ground), the Winter/Spring sun, heat & 4-months will destroy, break down and rot the grass, then in May you can easily till the ground that was under the plastic.

Once tilled, it can easily be tilled every year after that.

Very smart to till in everything in the Fall, plus extra leaves = compost, fertilizer & great soil.

Kelly has the tillers & parts. Good Luck, Michigan Glen