Sign in to follow this  
fireman

RJ-35 Engine Stop Switch Pictures Needed!

fireman

Hey All,

I am going to try and find a vendor who has, or can re-produce the large stop switch for the early RJ-35s. I am looking for pictures of the switch itself removed from the hood. If someone can take close up pictures of both sides and take some measurements that would be great. Overall height, diameter of the housing and button itself.

Thanks,

Jeff

This is the switch I am talking about:

post-1626-0-17418800-1325460411.jpg

stevebo

I would love to find one too jeff.

buckrancher

I would love too have one also

Brian

VinsRJ

I was told they were used by Studabaker (however you spell it). The thing I find interesting is how Pond back in the day seemed to use parts off the shelve from various manufactures but this switch is MIA.....

I have my original brass bezel for mine but the actual switch is gone.

fireman

Come on! Someone must have one they take pictures of!

stevebo

I would send Clay (RJ35hunter) a pm. He may have one. Make sure it is for the larger hole 55

VinsRJ

Jeff, I looked for a while for one of these switches with no results, I haven't given up though. Clay does have RJs with the original switches on them. The pic you posted is the correct switch and most likely the best pic out there. I saved that pics a couple of years ago for future reference. If I remember correctly the pic you oposted was from the Ebay auction of the cable steer that sold on Ebay a couple years ago with the sickle and $2600 price tag.

I think the question now is what was the original source of the switch? Like I said before I was told it was a Studabaker switch. I got that info from Joe Papke but he even said it could not fully confirm that. The switch, I was told, was also used on Seniors. That leads me to believe that Pond had a source for the switch and did not just run down to the local hardware store.

Does any one have a pic of a Senior with this style switch? If so, what year of production is it? We know that about early 56 this switch goes out of production for Pond. If we put this info together we may be able to create a date range of years the switch was used by Pond and ultimantely years of switch production. Also, IMO, the actual source of the switch could not have been "located" to far from the original production garage because I can't see the boys ordering these from a source located in CA. LOL!

fireman

Vin,

I found a bunch of Studebaker websites that offered complete parts for restoring them. I searched through all the electrical stuff and nothing matched. I just had a thought were I think I have seen these before. I used to go to Quassy Amusement Park when I was a younger and the kiddie rides that just went around in a circle and were dunebuggys, cars, motorcycles etc, would have horns in them. If my memory serves me right, these were those buttons. The rides were from the 40's, 50's. Now I will have to wait till Quassy opens in the spring and see if I was right. They had to be brass because these rides sat outside all year long. I am going to check that route and see if I can find some amusement websites that have parts.

Kelly

Fireman I think your right, I remember those annoying little horns, and that button, you may be onto something there.

Coadster32

Call up Danielle at antique archiology...They might have something like that. (American Pickers from tv) :eusa-think:

AMC RULES

:eusa-think: Maybe we should get our own Danielle, for our :wh: archeology? :ychain:

stevebo

For some reason I think Quassy may be missing a few buttons in the spring :scratchead:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

That's funny, and I don't even know Quassy. :scratchead:

• Like 1

fireman

This is Quassy Amusement Park.

http://quassy.com/

Check out the history page. It has a pretty amazing past seeing how far it goes back.

AMC RULES

Wonder who supplies their repair parts for the rides? :dunno:

Maybe a call to their maintence dept would help to provide you with a supplier? :eusa-think:

rj35hunter

Jeff, I'll try to post some pics & dimensions by this weekend.

Clay

fireman

Thanks Clay! I really appreciate it and I'm sure other will too if I can find a supplier or have them remanufactured.

rj35hunter

Jeff, the oval brass bezel is 1 1/16" tall at the tallest point & 1 1/2" wide. The main switch that slides into the bezel is 13/16" across or wide. The switch is 13/16" overall high from base of switch to top of the button. Let me know if anymore info is needed & sorry for the late response.

Clay

6705943749_a500fc6239_z.jpg

6705943603_543122e2dc_z.jpg

6705943665_279d3d5710_z.jpg

6705943843_67ae7e6aa9_z.jpg

6705943523_61282c1e3c_z.jpg

6705943937_836aa91e0f_z.jpg

6705943429_3f77b9bf3b_z.jpg

6705943351_43989da7b3_z.jpg

6705943251_0c52d5373c_z.jpg

• Like 1

fireman