Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Snow Thrower Bearings

rmaynard

Has anyone sourced bearings, other than Toro, for the input shaft of a 06-42ST01 snow thrower?

I am referring to items number 18 and 21 in the picture below.

Also item number 31, the idler sprockets, seem to be in abundance in a 17 tooth version. Mine are 18 tooth. Is there any problem in replacing an 18T with a 17T as long as it is the right pitch?

post-2221-0-42298200-1325426237_thumb.jp

smoreau

Take of your old bearing and take it ti TSC and match it up. If the bearing is a little different, then you have to get the rite mounting plates for the bearing also. I think there is grease able ones also. as for the sprockets, they are available at TSC also and work just fine for me at 1/2 the cost of toro.

rwilson

Hey Bob. I have gotten many bearings for wheel horses and other stuff through bearing supply houses. the one I use alot it BDU, Bearings &Drives Unlimited. The other is Kaman Bearing. Both have reasonable prices alot cheaper than Napa or Toro. I do not have a part number for the bearings you are looking for. If you can get a number to cross referance it to a Timkin or an SKF number you should be able to find them pretty easy. As for the sprockets I dont think it would hurt anything. The 17 tooth would be a little smaller than the 18, but it should work. You might have to take a link or two out of the chain to get it to tigten. Sorry I wasnt much help on bearings.

rmaynard

The problem with bearing number 21 is that it is a self-centering insert bearing with a 1/4" roll pin affixing it to the shaft. Having scoured the bearings at TSC, they have one that is close, but just like all of the insert bearings that I have found on the internet, they have the wrong dimensions to fit into the mounting flanges, and none have the holes for a pin, only set screws. TSC's are 47mm OD, and the OEM bearings are 52mm.

sorekiwi

Cant help on the bearings, I've never touched mine, except for with a grease gun.

I did replace my 18T idlers with 17T last year. The 18T's had red paint on them so I guess they were Toro ones.

The ones I bought to replace them with were these:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=&qty=1&item=1-2409-17-A

They're Chinese, but have a nicely sealed bearing and l like the one piece design better than the 2 piece rivetted together version.

IMG_3167.jpg

I had to shorten the chain by one link to bring it back into adjustment range.

rmaynard

I did replace my 18T idlers with 17T last year...

...I had to shorten the chain by one link to bring it back into adjustment range.

I found some nice idler sprockets at TheBigBearingStore.com for $8.25. They are solid carbon steel with heat treated teeth. Made in the USA. Since I am replacing the chain, removing a link or two is no problem. They also have #40 chain for $14.50/10ft.

can whlvr

i too took my bearings to a local bearing and pu;;ey and belt supply.they specialize in farming stuff,i got one that was greasable,sorry i sold the blower and dont have pics,i had to replace the shaft too so i bored the hole to match the new bearing,and the sprocket was bad too