Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Oil Rub-Down Questions

71_Bronco

Was wondering if somebody could explain when whole oil rub-down thing.

I see allot of original tractors on here with people talking about rubbing it with old engine oil to help with patina.

Could someone shine some light on this? How its done, what glyph use to rub with, what the benefits are?

Thanks!

stevebo

Nick,

I guess I can answer since I do it all the time. I only use the oli method if I do not plan on painting it. I will usually pressure wash the tractor and really clean it up good. TT suggests using very light steel wool etc. Once dry, I will actually pour motor oil ( I usually use old engine oil since it is free) and wipe down the entire tractor. I have and believe others do as well use a lighter oil like WD-40 etc. That works very well too.

The reason is that is will coat the tractor and prevent it from rusting, it adds a nice sheen (like armor all) and lastly I like the overall appearance. Here are a few examples.

Before

IMG_4015.jpg

After

IMG_4487.jpg

Before

8-1.jpg

After

calander1.jpg

Sparky

Hmm..I have a very rustic C-100 that might benefit from this treatment.

Mike.......

timmy b

Interesting...good examples...I'm going to do that...thank you

AMC RULES

Geeze, I haven't seen that in forever. We used to use that method(about thirty years ago)to put a spit shine on tactical vehicles in the Army. :eusa-think: I can remember while driving for our company CO, and using cherry juice, I had the best looking M151-A2 in the unit. IIRC, it's kinda slick, and attracts lots of dust though. :eusa-doh:

Kelly

I like WD40 it's not as messy, and does not collect dirt as bad, but it cost lots more, I buy a gal. can of WD40 I just did a whole mess of tractors as I put them away for winter, I've never tried the steel wool trick, but I will I have a 855 that I like how it looks in the faded red, but wish it was a bit brighter, and the steel wool might do it.

CTPATRIOT

I plan to do this to my C120,but i will paint the wheels and get new rubber!

pfrederi

Geeze, I haven't seen that in forever. We used to use that method(about thirty years ago)to put a spit shine on tactical vehicles in the Army. :eusa-think: I can remember while driving for our company CO, and using cherry juice, I had the best looking M151-A2 in the unit. IIRC, it's kinda slick, and attracts lots of dust though. :eusa-doh:

We used to use diesel on the old semi gloss OD Green paint. it looked great until somebody drove through the dirt motor pool stirring up dust

Retired Wrencher

:USA: :wh::thumbs2: I do not deny that this works but what ever happen to the old method of compound and waxing. by hand or buffing???? I have had good success with this in the past. Good luck with your project. Gary B..........

• Like 1

wheelhorse656

Intereasting i will have to do this to my lawn ranger!!!

can whlvr

i have done both oil and wax,the wax is better at repelling dirt,but the oil is easier,we used to add 50-50 wd40 and clean oil to coat our cement mixers and mortar mixers,buy it attracted alot of dust,so regular hot water power washing was needed

tractornut46

Ihavent personally used any of the above mentioned methods i use pledge or a generic form old dulled out paint brings a shine back to it just as it does your woodwork

dandan111

Waxing? Who has time for that! On my 654 I had to redo my hood and a few little spots. After I was done I did some light sanding and oiled it up with wd40. My brother commented how good I had matched the paint,it just kind of blended things right in my situation. I wouldn't take this route on a nice painted machine.

grnlark

Steve knows I bust him all the time about this. I ask him if he's getting his tractor ready for the croutons and bacon bits. I have to admit, I dont quite understand it myself. If you're looking for shine, wax it and buff it. If it sits indoors, then its not going to rust. Just my $0.02.

Kelly

But you can't wax the old semi rusted faded paint, it will just turn it white, then you will have a mess.

• Like 1

wheelhorse656

But you can't wax the old semi rusted fadded paint, it will just turn it white, then you will have a mess.

showed my grandpa this thread and he said he used to use a hershey's chocalate bar on semi rusted paint and it would remove the rust and leave a light clear wax that would shine the paint right up!

AMC RULES

:USA::wh::thumbs2: I do not deny that this works but what ever happen to the old method of compound and waxing. by hand or buffing???? I have had good success with this in the past. Good luck with your project. Gary B..........

I agree, and use this method too. :thumbs: A bit more work involved though. :dunno:

Only negative is that you can say goodbye to the patina(accumulated oxidation)that many people seem to like these days, but, If you like 'em to glow, it's the only way to go. :twocents-mytwocents:

Pollack Pete

But you can't wax the old semi rusted fadded paint, it will just turn it white, then you will have a mess.

showed my grandpa this thread and he said he used to use a hershey's chocalate bar on semi rusted paint and it would remove the rust and leave a light clear wax that would shine the paint right up!

I'd rather eat the Hershey bar. :woohoo:

TT

But you can't wax the old semi rusted faded paint, it will just turn it white, then you will have a mess.

Exactly!

This isn't a procedure for the "shiny" tractors. It's done to keep tractors that are weathered/rusted from getting worse.

71_Bronco

Exactly!

This isn't a procedure for the "shiny" tractors. It's done to keep tractors that are weathered/rusted from getting worse.

This is exactly what I am looking to do. I am picking up some little toys from Matt in a couple days, and I want to keep them original while preventing them from getting worse, and giving them a little "sheen" in the process. I too like the "weathered" look, and these particular toys are gonna remain this ay until I finish the RJ & Bronco. Will make a post about these new additions when I get them and can get some pics.

EDIT: Hush Hush Matt, want this to be a surprise LOL

stevebo

While we are at this topic, an old timer told me to use a 50/50 mix of mineral oil and mineral spirits on the tires. It works very well and "preserves" the tires.

Ken B

Exactly!

This is exactly what I am looking to do. I am picking up some little toys from Matt in a couple days, and I want to keep them original while preventing them from getting worse, and giving them a little "sheen" in the process. I too like the "weathered" look, and these particular toys are gonna remain this ay until I finish the RJ & Bronco. Will make a post about these new additions when I get them and can get some pics.

A couple of trinkets from Matt? Hmmm, now what can they be? Don't worry, your secret is safe.

71_Bronco

Exactly!

A couple of trinkets from Matt? Hmmm, now what can they be? Don't worry, your secret is safe.

LOL

When it comes to Matt, it could be just about anything, seems to have some of the most bizarre and off-beat stuff. But as odd as the stuff is, I must admit, its all really cool stuff

Ken B

I love Matts collection, variety is the spice of life!

Steve B.

It's funny. I've used the oil rub down to maintain and protect rifles and yard tool (shovel, axe, etc.). It never even occured to me that I could do this with my tractor. DUH!

The Horse will definately be getting this treatment as soon as it warms up enough (likely March). Hmm.... wonder if the truck could benefit from this too?