Sign in to follow this  
CHARGER9AUTO

'79 C-121 AUTOMATIC

CHARGER9AUTO

I have my C-121 AUTOMATIC it runs except it sits in the back of the Horse barn all the wires are not fryed or any loose connections sometime I have to charge it up to start it up . the only tractor that starts on command is my '73 8 HP 4-Speed . Ben.....

WheelHorse_of_course

Hi

Didn't you just post about the same complaint on another horse? How often do you use them?

What electric accessories, if any do you use when you run them?

CHARGER9AUTO

Hi

Didn't you just post about the same complaint on another horse? How often do you use them?

What electric accessories, if any do you use when you run them?

Hi I posted about my C-121 Auto same question but different tractor It never gets used daily because I have other Wheel Horses to use for yard work I never use any of the electrical accessories except when it is near dusk I'm not the type of person who mows at night :D Ben

kj4kicks

If the C-121 doesn't get run very often, it's probably just an old weak battery. I know you have several machines, but it's best to keep a trickle charger (like for motorcycles) on them if they get run every 2 weeks or less. It will keep a good battery healthy a lot longer, since it won't be cycling from low charge, to the jolt of a jump start.

Eldon.

CHARGER9AUTO

If the C-121 doesn't get run very often, it's probably just an old weak battery. I know you have several machines, but it's best to keep a trickle charger (like for motorcycles) on them if they get run every 2 weeks or less. It will keep a good battery healthy a lot longer, since it won't be cycling from low charge, to the jolt of a jump start.

Eldon.

Eldon, I have a Sears Die Hard roll away battery charger I bought for my own to charge up my trators. maybe next time I will disconnect the positive battery cable it should not drain the battery as fast anymore . Ben

Buzz

Ben, if you're going to disconnect the battery, take the negative cable off. If your wrench slips and comes in contact with the tractor, it won't spark or do damage.

kj4kicks

Hey Ben, I was talking about a small charger (mili-amps) that is used as maintenence. They're about the size of your fist. They don't use much power, and keep the battery at a steady state, to avoid the jump start jolt. Most roll-around chargers, even at their lowest setting, will be 2 amps. Way more than you need for storage/maintenence. Unhooked or not, a battery that is stored long term will get weak.

The ones I use only cost about $10 each. They will also keep your battery from freezing in an unheated building.

Hope that helps.

Eldon.

CHARGER9AUTO

Hey Ben, I was talking about a small charger (mili-amps) that is used as maintenence. They're about the size of your fist. They don't use much power, and keep the battery at a steady state, to avoid the jump start jolt. Most roll-around chargers, even at their lowest setting, will be 2 amps. Way more than you need for storage/maintenence. Unhooked or not, a battery that is stored long term will get weak.

The ones I use only cost about $10 each. They will also keep your battery from freezing in an unheated building.

Hope that helps.

Eldon.

Hey Eldon, I have some small chargers at home to use on my C-121 sorry for the misunderstanding from my other post. Ben

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben, if you're going to disconnect the battery, take the negative cable off. If your wrench slips and comes in contact with the tractor, it won't spark or do damage.

Buzz, I will keep that in mind next time to take off the neg cable on my C-121 . Ben

Sparky

Ben, if you do use a battery tender/maintainer you will want to fully charge the battery before you store or park the tractor. Then hook up the battery tender. I have a battery tender and it will just keep the battery at the charge level its at when stored. It doesnt bring up the charge.

Mike.....

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben, if you do use a battery tender/maintainer you will want to fully charge the battery before you store or park the tractor. Then hook up the battery tender. I have a battery tender and it will just keep the battery at the charge level its at when stored. It doesnt bring up the charge.

Mike.....

Mike, I only have a Sears DIE HARD roll away battery charger to use for my tractors I have so many Horses it's hard to use them all at once . Ben.....

T-Mo

Hey Eldon, I have some small chargers at home to use on my C-121 sorry for the misunderstanding from my other post. Ben

Mike, I only have a Sears DIE HARD roll away battery charger to use for my tractors I have so many Horses it's hard to use them all at once . Ben.....

Ben, now I'm confused. On one of your posts you state you have some small chargers at home that you use on a C-121. Then, in your last post you state you only have a Sears Die Hard charger. I'm sort of confused here......

Sparky

Remember folks that a battery charger, big or small, is not the same as a battery tender. A charger should'nt be left on a battery indefinately but a tender can be.

Mike........

CHARGER9AUTO

Remember folks that a battery charger, big or small, is not the same as a battery tender. A charger should'nt be left on a battery indefinately but a tender can be.

Mike........

Mike , I see your teaching us all about the difference between a regular battery charger small or big and the tractor battery tender HEHE :D:P Ben.......