Sign in to follow this  
caddisman

Wheel Horse Snowthrower Drive Chain Problem

caddisman

My Wheelhorse snowthrower has a lot of play in the chain when running. I've adjusted the idler sprocket out the entire way and drive chain still has quite a bit of play. Should I remove a link from the chain? Could the problem be something else? The snow is about to fly and I want to get this right before it does. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Model is 66-42ST01

Thanks!

TT

:WRS:

Save yourself the future aggravation and install a new chain now.

#40 roller chain is available at most agricultural/farm product stores, as well as many OPE dealers. Buy a 10 ft. length and you'll have enough for a spare - if you purchase an additional connector (master) link.

It beats the heck out of dealing with this: :omg:

throwerchain003.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly

Hey TT how did you get a pic of my blower chain last year?? I never took a pic, LOL yup mine did that and a new chain from TSC was under $20 10' will do 2 blowers.

TT

Hey TT how did you get a pic of my blower chain last year?? I never took a pic, LOL yup mine did that

That was mine about two years ago...... one horrendous BANG and pieces of the little plastic guard went flying everywhere! :hide:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a friendly reminder to make sure all bearings are smooth & tight on both idler sprockets, jackshaft, and auger shaft & check the sprocket teeth condition too.

caddisman

Thank you Terry! I appreciate the help

Anthony

Road-Track

Same result a month ago on my blower. Got 10 feet of #40 chain at TSC along with extra connecting links and to really get the chain tight I got the offset links. All for about $25.

Runs a lot quieter too :twocents-02cents:

bk-scouter

Anthony-

I just went throught this a few weeks ago getting mine ready for the season. I remembered at the end of last year the blower was very loud and that it should be gone through. Well, I found a few things that needed to be replaced and I'd recommend you check them out as well. Like you, I had a loose chain. So I loosened the lower idler sprocket and readjusted it's position to tighten things up a bit. While I was in there, I also noticed that the top idler sprocket was still loose and jumping around a bit on the bolt. Come to find out that the bearing in the sprocket was fried, and the lower sprocket was also on it's way out too. I went ahead and ordered two new ones ( at $33 each :angry: ) While I waited for the parts to arrive, I noticed that the chain had a few tight links links on it, so I cleaned and soaked the chain for a few days in hopes it would roll better. I didn't work as good as I liked, so I ended up getting new chain at my local Ace Hardware. There was a BIG difference on how the new one rolled freely compared to the old one. I'm so glad I didn't try re-using the old chain. Everything is buttoned up nicely, and a heck of lot quieter too.

Now if it would just snow so I can use it.... Good luck Anthony. ;)

-BK

pfrederi

One thing to remember, chains are not belts, you want do not want them to be too tight.

TT

.....and don't forget the chain lube. :thumbs2:

caddisman

Thanks Everyone! I've located the chain at tractor supply and going to pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully I wont need the idler sprockets. I've already located them if need be.

It's great to have the help of others to get you through the head scatching!

Thanks!

Anthony