Sign in to follow this  
ce318

Need help with mower deck

ce318

Here is my dilemma. When I purchased my WH 418A, it came with this deck (pictures included) a tiller (never used) and a single stage blower. I have original manuals for each attachment except the mower deck. I have a broken shaft on the left side and a new shaft for it. What I am needing is what model is the deck (there are no ID plates at all) and directions to rebuild it. My intention is someone here will have all the info I need to and any advice. I intend on sand blasting it then por15 on the underside with new paint everywhere else. post-5715-0-10690100-1325105458_thumb.jp

ce318

I added one more pic to give a better view. Chrispost-5715-0-03455900-1325106111_thumb.jp

TT

If it was purchased with the 418, it could be a 05-48SC01 or a 05-48MS05

Note: The offset right draft bar and corresponding rear mounting bracket is indicative of it being set-up for use with a tractor-powered collection system.

Use either of those model numbers to access the illustrated parts list at Toro.com, PartsTree.com, etc.

Replacement of the spindle shaft requires removal of the top nut, pulley, and woodruff key. (where applicable) The shaft should then pull out of the bottom of the housing. (might need to remove the zerk fitting and "drive" the shaft out using a soft drift and hammer)

The top bearing is driven out using a long drift up through from the bottom & opposite for the bottom bearing. The spacer between the bearings can be pushed to the side enough to get the drift on the inner race of the first bearing. Once the first bearing is out, remove the spacer and drive out the other bearing.

Assemble in reverse order.

• Like 1

ce318

Thank you this is the kind of info I am needing. Does anyone know of any post's on RS that may show a rebuild or have detailed pictures that I can cheat with. With all the snow I am getting (NOT) I may need the mower before the blower. Thanks for the info Terry.. Chris

Vinylguy

Chris

Could you get an image of the warning labels on the ends of your deck?

I had not seen those before and want to ad them to the deck category

tunahead72

If it was purchased with the 418, it could be a 05-48SC01 or a 05-48MS05

The 05-48MS05 is included in this parts manual:

But the diagrams in there indicate two separate belt covers (one left and one right), as opposed to the one-piece cover in Chris' second photo. So assuming this is actually an original 48" deck, I'd have to guess it's a 05-48SC01.

But also keep in mind I'm no expert, just going by the manuals. :)

• Like 1

ce318

Okay I hope these load okay. post-5715-0-49725800-1325120319_thumb.jppost-5715-0-46843800-1325120354_thumb.jp

ce318

thank you to everyone who has responded keep the info coming tips, tricks you name it, I am a sponge for WH knowledge. I am wondering I see allot of B C D models here. What is a 418A considered to be. What is the history? My tractor came with a 18hp v twin BS nice motor, runs really good. I am just wondering if my engine was replaced at some point. Everything I got looks as if it came off the show room floor other than the mower deck. Anyway thank you RS people you are the greatest. Chris

Sparky

Wheel Horse stopped using the B-C-D designation in the early eighties and went to the 300, 400, and 500 series for garden tractors. Yours originally had a Kohler 18 twin so it musta been swapped to the Briggs. Maybe you can get us a picture of the motor and tractor.

Mike..........

ce318

I posted the pics in the tractor section. Thank you

Vinylguy

Okay I hope these load okay. post-5715-0-49725800-1325120319_thumb.jppost-5715-0-46843800-1325120354_thumb.jp

After viewing the parts manual from TT's link these should be the correct decals for the 48 inch deck 05-48ms 48 inch

I need to confirm thwe dimension of the danger decal I have them at 2 x 5 inch

DECKDECALKITFORMODEL05-48MS.png

TT

TD - I have the 111188 decals at 1 7/8" X 4 7/16" :handgestures-thumbup:

ce318

I sent you the measurement this morning I got 2 inches by 4 and 3/8" . Since that seemed odd I measured both sides and they were identical. Maybe shrinkage? I don't know.

Vinylguy

Thank You TT. I will adjust the file and now I have the

correct deck set for those decks.