Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

My new ride

Sparky

At this years WH show I took a liking to a Wheel Horse Workhorse (the gray tractors) but decided against it because of the Briggs motor. I know some of you guys have had good luck with your Briggs powered Workhorse machines but they do have a bad reputation for not being a long life motor. In New York a GT-1600 popped up on Craigslist with a Kohler Magnum 10 transplanted in it and that is just my cup-o-tea!! It was offered with a mint 42"SD deck, 42" snow/dirt plow, grader blade, front and rear wheelweights and two link "V" bar chains. It runs perfect and the engine transplant was done right with all the charging system, lights and even the volt gage working just as it should. The price wasn't firm and I struck a deal with the owner and its in my garage now.

The best part was our very own Karl (nylyon) was able to go with me (actually I just needed someone to carry the heavy stuff like the deck out to my truck :eusa-whistle: ). It was great to see Karl again and catch up in the small amount of time we had.

Now I need to find room for all this stuff as I'm approaching maximum capacity real fast here!

Of course I have a couple pics of the tractor. It also came with a strange looking bracket that mounts in the mid and front attach-a-matics. Anyone have an idea of what its for. Someone has already mention it might be for a Macissic type chipper.

Mike..........

post-2-0-08387900-1324760619_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-93062000-1324760424_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-99977900-1324761705_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-87400500-1324761181_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-48056900-1324760773_thumb.jpg

Retired Wrencher

:USA: :wh::thumbs2: Mike regardless of the above mention this is still a good tractor probably last a life time if maintained well. T/Care and Merry Christmas Gary B..........

Sparky

:USA::wh::thumbs2: Mike regardless of the above mention this is still a good tractor probably last a life time if maintained well. T/Care and Merry Christmas Gary B..........

Gary....Maybe you misunderstood, the Briggs twin is long gone and a Kohler is in its place.

Mike.......

Duff

Sparky, nice machine! In your second picture it looks like an arm that maybe adjusts the angle of the grader blade? Is that OEM or something someone fabbed up? I've got a beautiful [rebuilt] 42" grader blade but to change the blade angle I have to get under the machine and lift and reset the dog that catches the angle adjustment. Perhaps a close-up picture of that set-up if you have a minute sometime? Thanks and Merry Christmas! ~Duff

Sparky

Sparky, nice machine! In your second picture it looks like an arm that maybe adjusts the angle of the grader blade? Is that OEM or something someone fabbed up? I've got a beautiful [rebuilt] 42" grader blade but to change the blade angle I have to get under the machine and lift and reset the dog that catches the angle adjustment. Perhaps a close-up picture of that set-up if you have a minute sometime? Thanks and Merry Christmas! ~Duff

Yep that's the angle lever for the grader blade but once its pulled you still need to use your boot to move it left or right.

I've never had a grader before so I'm assuming its all factory stuff. It did come with the original owners manual for the grader so I'll give it a read and let you know what I find out Duff.

Mike.........

Rollerman

Nice score Mike, but your cheating with that Magnum.

Grader blade wheel weights & all with that tractor?

Can't say on the bracket, the Mac chipper brackets I've see are for the older tractors & bolt on or pin on around the frame sides.

That looks like the makeings of a good generator mount or front weight carrier.

Sparky

Can't say on the bracket, the Mac chipper brackets I've see are for the older tractors & bolt on or pin on around the frame sides.

That looks like the makeings of a good generator mount or front weight carrier.

I kinda thought the same thing with the generator. A gen head can be mounted in any position so it would be perfect, just need a plan for belt tension.

Mike........

varosd

looks great! It is nice that the Kohler transplant was done right!

sgtsampay

Looks great! Looks like you did a great score on that tractor. Great job!

shallowwatersailor

Looks good! That's nice that it has the Kohler transplant instead of the "Briggs and Scrap'em." I don't think that the bracket is for the MacKissic Shredder but something homegrown. It looks pretty beefy!

can whlvr

real nice score,i have a 308 that uses the "weaker"4 pinion and 1 inch axles,its a great rear end,i think that it pushes snow a little better,dont know if its the smaller tires or what,but its my fav plowing tractor,i think those grey tractors are cool looking,different than the usual red machines

KC9KAS

Nice looking tractor and accessories.

Maybe that is a home-made bracket for a generator

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE A GT-1800 WORK HORSE WITH THE BRIGGS THAT RUNS VERY GOOD. IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY PAINTED BLACK. THAT COST $40.00 EXTRA BACK THEN.

IT HAS THE AUTO TRANS. IT WAS MY PLOW TRACTOR FOR 4 YEARS. RUSS

RCTruckDaddy

I have a GT-1142. It runs great. I really like mine. :)

nylyon

Guys, the tractor that Mike got today was really nice, that Kohler ran fantastic, it was so smooth and it really just purred. The grader blade looked like new, and the deck was in fantastic shape. The previous owner took great care of the machine and everything else around his home as well. It was a fantastic trip up, but way too short. Mike maybe the next one can be in Albany or something?

Ken B

Very nice score, I saw that one on C/L as well.

I'm not real familair with that model Briggs that was original to your tractor but I have a friend that has well over 1500 hrs. on his and it still runs plenty strong. He does keep up on the maintenance religiously. I have some pretty old Briggs motors (one is on my 62 Economy the other a 66 B-10 Allis Chalmers) that have never been rebuilt and they still run very strong.

TT

You KNOW that I like it. :thumbs2:

Wheel Horse Kid

Great find! That is one nice looking GT!! The Kohler transplant sounds like a winner to me!

Sparky

Thanks guys. The Magnum single cylinder motors with that big muffler have the sweetest sound! I took it around the yard yesterday and its a nice tight machine. Starts almost instantly. Steering is dead on and no rattles! Those 2 link V-Bars will have to come off tho as they look like pavement ripper-uppers to me :eek: . I've never had a grader blade before so we'll see what it can do in the spring, but for now its coming off and going in the shed. I already have 2 machine set up with snow-plows so I'm not sure what to do with this one all winter. Maybe I'll stick the plow on it and have 3 machines ready for action :eusa-whistle: .

Mike..........

JC 1965

WOW!! Great looking tractor, sounds like you made a great haul. You got just about everything you will ever need in one haul. :thumbs2:

Forest Road

That's a very nice Christmas gift you got yourself. The handle for the grader is original. The 50" grader is my favorite attachment, ok a close second to the snow blowers. We have a rather long driveway upstate which I cleanup a couple times a year. I tried using a 48" snow plow a few times. The results weren't to favorable. The plow blade dug in and and really just made a mess. The grader blade on the other hand works flawlessly. With the dial a height you can get very consistent results. Merry Christmas!

stevebo

Mike,

I have to admit I am not a big fan of the silver workhorses but the fact that you have a kohler in there makes me like it !! Nice...

mowerman1193

I have two of those GT1600 and a GT1642. The 1600 has about 1800 hours and was bought new by my father. I have all the original sales papers etc. It still runs like new..Only thing we ever done to it is regular maintainence..Motor never been apart...I still like the kohlers but these two tractors have run strong for us for many hours and still run like new..Guess I can't say anything negative on the briggs as all I have ever had had been strong runners..

That is a pretty decent looking tractor and the Kohler looks factory installed the way it was done..Great score

Kevin

can whlvr

they look so nice with the magnum,not to put down the briggs,any engine properly maintained will give many years of good service

ben06351

Nice score Mike. I'm sure your going to love it looks great. :greetings-clappingyellow: