Sign in to follow this  
Kurtis Woods

1984 gt1100

Kurtis Woods

hi i just bought a 1984 gt1100 wheelhorse. the whole carb. had been taken apart. ive got it all back together and hooked back up. it runs but when i try to engage the pto for the deck it dies. was wondering if anyone has the same or similar engine and could send me some pictures of the linkage and govoner plate.because i think im either missing something or somethings hooked up wrong. the engine model is a briggs 252417-0664-01. thanks for looking

TT

:WRS:

Are you implying that the engine shuts off like you turned it off with the key?

Kurtis Woods

yes it starts idleing done and shuts off like the pto being engaged is to much of a load on the engine

TT

Nothing tight or locked up on the mower deck ~ like bad spindle bearings, bent blade(s), excess build-up, etc.?

Sparky

Maybe the seat switch is shot or missing and with the PTO engaged it shuts down the engine thinking that no one is in the seat.

Mike.........

Kurtis Woods

I checked the blades they turn by hand. And there are no safety switches they were removed when I bought it. The motor just bogs down when I engage the blades and then spits and sputters then shuts off.

TT

Possibly one of the toughest engines to get good pictures of the governor / throttle controls, but start here:

You should also track down a B&S repair manual.

Kurtis Woods

Ok. Thanks. Ive been checking everywhere for pictures everywhere and havnt had much luck

Road-Track

Try disconnecting/removing the belt to the mower deck and then try the clutch engagement lever. You might have a problem with the electrical switch wiring on the lever even though the seat switch is removed. I ran into a similar problem on my C145.

Hope this helps,

:eusa-think:

pulse301

when you rebuilt the carb, did you put in the spring on the needle that the float opens and closes? My carb kit said to NOT install that spring if the engine has a fuel pump.

Also, here is a picture before I rebuilt my carb, I don't know if it will help you, let me know what you're looking for and I can take more pictures. Mine is a 1980 1100 special, but they are the same engine I believe.

post-5652-0-03937900-1324610789_thumb.jp

Best picture of could get of my governor linkage...I know, it isn't very good...

post-5652-0-49010500-1324611320_thumb.jp