Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

This is NOT what I wanted for Christmas

chesbaycruiser

Having finally finished with all the leaf cleanup, last week I took the TracVac to the river house for the winter. So Saturday was one of my favorite "Red" days of the year....the ceremonial dropping of the deck, and installation of the snow blade. At the end of the day, just as I was about put her away, I snapped a photo on my phone to send to my "Partner in Wheel Horse Crime"....something we regularly do just to let the other know whenever we're tinkering or getting some seat time.

ready.jpg

So I snapped the image above, but figured before I sent the image along with a text message something to the effect of "look what I'm doing but you're not", I figured I'd put the tractor away. So about sixty seconds after snapping this image, I'm backing the tractor into the shed next to the ZTR when suddenly there's a short, curious sound from the engine, which then just stops firing, but continues spinning until it finally stops. Hmmm...that didn't sound good.

I briefly hit the key, but no ignition happening. Pulled the plug and a quick check showed I had good spark. I'm no mechanical genius, but I had a really bad feeling. Suspicions seemed confirmed when I was able to spin the motor by hand much easier than what I expected. Pulled the head and sure enough, the valves were pumping up and down, but the piston just sat there.

Did the tear-down last night, and this is what I found....

piston1.jpg

piston2.jpg

This is NOT what I was hoping for for Christmas!

Going to make lemonade out of these holiday lemons though, and go ahead and do a full rebuild. After 36 years, I figure the 'ol girl deserves a few new parts! Need to get the cylinder mic'd to determine what size piston I'll need, etc, but once done I figure I'll have a brand new K181 worth another 30 or 40 years of service! (I say this with my fingers crossed, as this is the first rebuild I've ever done!)

Probably won't get to this before Christmas, but will update as this progresses. In the meantime...and I can't believe I'm saying this....let's hope the snow holds off in Richmond....

:no:

Merry Christmas all!

tunahead72

OUCH!!

Maybe you could regift this particular present?

Kidding, of course. Good luck with your rebuild, I'll be watching your progress closely, as will others I'm sure. :handgestures-thumbup:

And in the "lemonade out of lemons" department, better for this to happen on a nice day than in the middle of a driving snowstorm.

• Like 1

JC 1965

WOW !! Sorry about your bad luck, hope you can get it up and running before the first big snow. Great looking tractor. :thumbs2:

rmaynard

As Del Griffith said in the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, "I thought it would be a lot worse than this. They'll be able to buff this out."

Well maybe not, but I'm sure you will get her back together in time for the first snow. Hope there wasn't any damage to the block.

Let me know if you want to re-power that thing with a 12 HP. I am in the process of modifying a K301 off of a Simplicity snow blower, and turning it into a Wheel Horse power plant with a 1" crankshaft. Should be a direct fit to replace a K181.

Pollack Pete

WOW......sure dosen't look good.Any idea what caused the self destruction? Run out of oil? Good luck with your re-build.

Rollerman

Chris looks nasty, hopeing for a speedy recovery for your worker.

chesbaycruiser

OUCH!!

Maybe you could regift this particular present?......And in the "lemonade out of lemons" department, better for this to happen on a nice day than in the middle of a driving snowstorm.

Regifting is a GREAT idea Tuna, and you're right about the timing....given my usual luck it would typically happen the morning of a huge snow!

WOW !! Sorry about your bad luck, hope you can get it up and running before the first big snow. Great looking tractor. :thumbs2:

Thanks JC!

As Del Griffith said in the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, "I thought it would be a lot worse than this. They'll be able to buff this out."

Well maybe not, but I'm sure you will get her back together in time for the first snow. Hope there wasn't any damage to the block.

Love the reference....what a great flick! No block damage that I can see. :dance:

WOW......sure dosen't look good.Any idea what caused the self destruction? Run out of oil? Good luck with your re-build.

Not sure Pete. The oil was due a change, and when I checked it "post-apocalypse", it was a little low on the stick, but I wouldn't have thought it was anywhere close to low enough for this! On top of that, I only ran the tractor for a few minutes in fairly cool weather, so....who knows? I sure hope it wasn't my fault! :eusa-doh:

Chris looks nasty, hopeing for a speedy recovery for your worker.

Thanks Rollerman!

AMC RULES

Umm right now? :scratchead: I'm going out to check my oil. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

chesbaycruiser

Here is a link to the kit i bought for my tactor!

It doesent come with the valves but he sells those for a few bucks more.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5890f36e54

Thanks Jordan...I saw that kit (and similar ones) on e-bay and other sites.

You know, I find it interesting that I haven't been able to find a kit with everything. Some include the valves, some include the governor gear, some neither, but not both, or at least not that I found. I'd like to see one kit that includes all of that stuff, plus the bearings too!

Just sayin.... :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

stevebo

That really is bad news-sorry to hear that! Just another reason to justify at least one back up tractor....

varosd

Ouch!!! at least the block doesnt have hole through it! but a headache to be for sure!

KC9KAS

Sorry for the bad luck.

Like you said, after a rebuild it will be good for another 30-40 years.

That is a sharp looking B-80 and snow plow.

Don1977

Sorry you horse is broken, but I have to add that you sure know how to brake one. Never seen that kind of damage before. What does the cylinder wall and crank look like.

VinsRJ

Sorry to see this happened. As long as the block didn't get bit you should be fine.

Wheel Horse Kid

WOW! What a bummer! Hope that you can get it fixed soon.

massey

Perhaps a diesel transplant?

Zeek

Bummer, I hate strange engine noises :wacko:

• Like 1

wheelhorse656

Here is a link to the kit i bought for my tactor!

It doesent come with the valves but he sells those for a few bucks more.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5890f36e54

Thanks Jordan...I saw that kit (and similar ones) on e-bay and other sites.

You know, I find it interesting that I haven't been able to find a kit with everything. Some include the valves, some include the governor gear, some neither, but not both, or at least not that I found. I'd like to see one kit that includes all of that stuff, plus the bearings too!

Just sayin.... :confusion-shrug:

Me too! It can be a pain in the butt!

rmaynard

I have talked to that seller (bakt4kids) on the phone. He used to put kits together for you with whatever you want. His number is 419-337-1548

stevasaurus

Sorry about the tractor Chris...she sure is a good looker. There is no feeling like getting her fixed and that first ride when you are done. Plenty of help here if you need it.

chesbaycruiser

Sorry you horse is broken, but I have to add that you sure know how to brake one. Never seen that kind of damage before. What does the cylinder wall and crank look like.

Don, the cylinder wall looks OK...some slight marring on the crank but still should be useable.

Perhaps a diesel transplant?

I was thinking Chevy 327? :music-deathmetal:

...I have talked to that seller (bakt4kids) on the phone. He used to put kits together for you with whatever you want. His number is 419-337-1548

Thanks Bob...a friend of mine (who did the original restore on the B-80) has also used and recommended your source. Once I get the specs on exactly what I need I'll check with him about a full kit.

wheelhorse656

bakt4kids comes highly recomended from me too! that is who i buy all my kits from!

ben06351

Ouch that's a present no one wants. But hey now you get to fix her right..

Retired Wrencher

:USA: :wh::omg: Chris I feel your pain. This is something we never expect form a kohler engine. these are built prof if maintained well. I hope Santa is good to u and u are up and running in no time. T/Care Gary B..................