Sign in to follow this  
darren

A quick tyre/rim question

darren

Should I be able to mount a 23x8.5-12 tyre on a 12-8j rim?

The rims came off my 312-8. I've just tried putting a 23x8.5 on there and then I was going to fit them to a c-series. The beads are no-where near the rim lip at the moment, so I can't give them a blast with the compressor..

The tyres are new but have been sitting horizontally a while with a light weight on top, so they're a bit more flattened than they should be. If they should fit that rim width, I guess my best bet will be to break out the ratchet straps and get one around the tyre to help seat it.

Thanks for helping!

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I don't have a direct answer to your question but I saw on the Discovery channel a while back how they re-seated a tire that came off the rim up in the Arctic with starting fluid. Obviously it's inherently dangerous but I did it a few times on some stubborn tires and was amazed. I had a hose near by in case it caught fire and wore safety glasses and crossed my fingers. Here's one of the many examples on YouTube.

I did it as a last resort and I'm not sure I'd recommend it due to the danger level but it does work.

TT

I have no idea if you have access to any larger tire shops, but if you can find one with a pneumatic bead-seater like a Cheetah, that would be the safest and easiest way to take care of your tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajQnEe-oRI

• Like 1

dodge78

rachet strap

TT

A ratchet strap does absolutely nothing when the beads are almost touching each other and are several inches away from the rim.

Short of installing tubes, the Cheetah (or similar tool) is the way to go.

Irv

The last time I got new tires and they were flattened I took 3 pieces of 2x4 about 12" long and spread the beads and stuck the 2x4 pieces in to hold them spread for a few days. When I removed them, the beads stayed out long enough for me to mount and inflate the tires.

c161rat

2nd degree burns on my index finger and thumb using the Dr's method.....would not recommend it!!!!!! Put a tube in it and be done....or take it to a tire shop!!!!

Monkalunka

Gotta say i'm with the Rat on this one. Tire shop or a tube, I have access to a Cheetah and we use them for tractor trailer tires I would assume that we would have to dial that one down quite a bit for this size. Tube it or tear off a $20 that way you can still open your presents...LOL

Chris

can whlvr

i pit 2 tires on my skid steer this summer,did it my self,im too cheap to pay and i didnt want to wait,i tried the ether and all it would do was burn,not explode,i didnt know how to do it,i used the strap and a hammer hitting it and bouncing,it worked but it took a long time,might build a bead seater now that i saw one,i have a spare pressure tank from a well pump,good for 150lbs and it has a 11/2 opening too

dodge78

A ratchet strap does absolutely nothing when the beads are almost touching each other and are several inches away from the rim.

Short of installing tubes, the Cheetah (or similar tool) is the way to go.

Then I did it wrong, or I got really lucky. I had to crank it quite a ways, just about to the rim but it wrorked.

darren

Thanks guys, plenty of different ways to skin a cat by the sound of it!

I'd been wondering about Irv's method. Given it's xmas and I've got the time, I'll try that method and if that doesn't work I'll take it to a shop.

I've tried ratchet straps in the past but not had much luck..I'd noticed the Cheetah bead blaster tool a while back and idly wondered about it. I've got a few tyres to do so I'll see how I get on with the others. Depending on my success rate with them, it might be worth me investing in one.

Thanks for the starting fluid idea :) I'm too much of a wuss to try it but I enjoy watching it :handgestures-thumbupright:

littleredrider

I mount all my tires, and if the bead is too stubborn, I use the ratchet strap. Most of the times it goes on with a little work, but now and then it just won't cooperate, so then the attitude and bad words come out. If you use the strap, sometimes it needs to be tightened so that the tread starts to fold in on itself. Once it does that the bead gets pushed out towards the rim bead. But make sure you take the valve core out.

Try mounting ATV front tires that have been shrink wrapped for who knows how long, and when you cut it off, they are still touching!!!! And need to go on a 7" wheel, also a 6 ply that doesn't like to flex....

Also helps if the tire is warm so it will flex, many times just warming it softens it up and will open on it's own, then little persuasion is all that is needed.

Trouty56

I'm too much of a wuss to try it but I enjoy watching it

Me too...I do enough stupid stuff. Glad I live in the country where neighbors are distant enough not to see some of my idiot tricks. I always check though just in case they saw something.

jrc0528

I just mounted a 235/75R15 for my s10 this weekend, had it off to put an interior patch on a hole, but that another story. Anyways the ratchet strap method just refused to open the beads enough to catch the air. I'm no fan of fire around tires or even in the shop for that matter... I have a different trick hiding up my sleeve! On the shelf was an old patched 20" bicycle inner-tube. I inflated it to about 1-1/4", layed the rim/tire on its side on the floor, and then stuffed the tube into the gap between the tires bead and the rim. With the valve core out of the truck rim I filled the tire until the bottom bead popped on, the bike inner-tube was now bulging out around the rim. Next I let the air back out of the truck tire, pulled out the inner-tube, installed the valve core in the truck rim, and re-inflated it, making sure the top bead also popped into place.

For mounting tractor tires I'd recommend getting a 12" or 14" inner-tube for the little kid bikes.

dodge78

Something I forgot to add was I use the wide rachet strap, not the narrow ones.