Sign in to follow this  
wallfish

Ohlssen & Rice mini motors

wallfish

I need a new hobby like a hole in the head but I couldn't pass up on 2 of these little motors. They are small little 2 stroke, 1 hp motors. One has a tiny tiger 300w generator and one has a water pump. I did search for a little while for manuals but came up empty so far. Does anyone have any info on these?

I'll post some pics when I get back to MA tomorrow

wallfish

Little Water Pump and Generator pics. The water pump has never been run before.

post-658-0-13657400-1324310629_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-47602900-1324310649_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-77262600-1324310665_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-18245000-1324310687_thumb.jpg

TT

I knew they were used on some saws and outboards, but that's some cool stuff you found, John! :handgestures-thumbup:

Here's a link to some history: http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Ohlsson.htm

Supposed to be manuals here (if you join): http://orengines.multiply.com/

wallfish

I took the guy's word for it that these would run and just tinkered around with it for 4 or 5 minutes. She fired right up! These are a very interesting little setup. The generator is 300 watts AC and has a 12 amp 12v DC hook up as well.

Here's a short video of the generator test.

http://s623.photobuc...nt=S3607934.mp4

I did join that site posted for the manual but still haven't found one yet. It's amazing how many different little machines were made with these motors on them.

AMC RULES

Looks like they're sized perfectly for a quarter scale R/C Wheelhorse replica. :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Thanks for sharing this John, very cool, and you have given me a few ideas. :text-thankyouyellow:

wallfish

Thanks for sharing this John, very cool, and you have given me a few ideas. :text-thankyouyellow:

Let's hear about the ideas Steve, whatchya got in mind?

fireman

Nice find John! Those things are cool!!!

SALTYWRIGHT

JOHN I HAVE A O&R OUTBOARD MOTOR.. IT IS ABOUT 5 INCHES TALL. I WANT THAT GEN. YOU HAVE. WHERE DID YOU FIND THEM ? RUSS

wallfish

I found them in NJ while going to buy a K90 and saw them on a shelf in the guys garage . Never knew these things existed until now.

I hope you're feeling better Russ and I want the outboard you have. These should be fun to bring around to the local engine shows.

stevebo

John,

Looks like you are running out of room in your motor area. Out of pure concern I will help you by taking that red K90 you have there.

Don1977

I have a little engine that looks similar to those. It came off a mini tiller that my boss bought some time in the 70's. I think the only thing wrong with it is the gas tank rusted. I'll have to dig it out and take some pictures.

SAM_0043.jpg

SAM_0044.jpg

Mine looks to be a copy made some where in the far east. "Advanced Engine Products Inc." Los Angeles, Califorina

I will have to find a gas tank before I can see if it will run.

wallfish

VERY similar. The only thing that looks different is the blower housing and pull starter. Appears to possibly be a newer model. The diaphram carb, air intake, muffler and ignition looks the same.

wallfish

Found another one

I'm told the chainsaw and geneartor are from the early 60s and the pump is from late 60s to early 70s

post-658-0-93567200-1324931226_thumb.jpg

stevasaurus

John, what is all that stuff hanging off the shelf?? As far as my idea...I have a scooter or 2 in the attic of the garage. You have to give me about 4 weeks to be able to get up there and drag one of them out. They are from the 80's and have (I think) 6" tube type tires on them. Wondering if an engine like yours could be mounted on it. I'll take some p[ics when I can get it down from there.

jay in nc

i saw one of those engines at the south east old threshers reunion, it had a auger drill on it. the man who owned it said it was used for drilling post & beam construction as well as r.r. tie retaining wall work. if i see another i will take pics.

wallfish

John, what is all that stuff hanging off the shelf?? As far as my idea...I have a scooter or 2 in the attic of the garage. You have to give me about 4 weeks to be able to get up there and drag one of them out. They are from the 80's and have (I think) 6" tube type tires on them. Wondering if an engine like yours could be mounted on it. I'll take some p[ics when I can get it down from there.

That's just a clamp on light for over the lathe.

They made mini bikes with these motors on them and also a clamp on motor drive for bicycles and called them "Chicken Power"

post-658-0-87176000-1325167699.jpg

wallfish

Mine looks to be a copy made some where in the far east. "Advanced Engine Products Inc." Los Angeles, Califorina

I will have to find a gas tank before I can see if it will run.

I did find out that Advanced engine Products did make different equipment using these engines so I do believe yours would be a later model Ohlsson and Rice engine. They changed the recoil to that style in the 70s.

O&R was based in L.A.