Sign in to follow this  
ce318

Craftsman snow plow

ce318

Just wondering if any of you have retrofitted a Craftsman plow to WH. I purchases a brand new plow 48" today at a indoor flea market for 25.00. I monted it to a plate under the tractor with 3/8" rod and welded a tab for the center lift with a 3.5" s rod for lift and it works. So hoping for some ideas to help.

Sparky

So hoping for some ideas to help.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. What help are needing :scratchead: ?

Mike............

wheelhorse656

:text-worthless:

I would love to see how you did this and how it works!

ce318

I will see if I can figure out how to post pic's some how as I dont use photo bucket. Anyway, I hooked up to a bracket underneath the tractor directly below the seat. welded a tab on the plow for the hydro lift. the plow shifts from side to side at the front maybe 2 inches left or right. The plow lifts up about 6" and I pushed some dirt around and it worked great. The only reason I did this was because of price and I cannot get WH plows around here. What I need to know is what was that bracket under the tractor is for and will I damage it. The bracket is about 7" inches across and part of the tractors undercarriage. The plow frame was long enough to extend out where the blade does not hit the tire when angled.

ce318

Today I removed the plow and disassembled the whole thing, sand blasted and painted it. Found Regal Red at Walmart for 1.99 per can. I found some steel for a cutting bar off of an old Hesston baler and cut and drilled it to fit. I installed all new stainless steel nuts and bolts. I installed a urathane bushing on the pivot point and drilled and tapped for a zerk for greasing. Then primed and painted the whole works. I can lift the front wheels up about an inch (dont want to do that much). I still dont know how to post pic's so if someone will explain I will post them. I just agreed to blow and plow a church parking lot and side walks to with the money earned I will purchase some toys from the east coast to add to my collection. Wish WH would have been more popular on the west coast all we have is Green and Kubota.

ce318

Ok, so here is some pic's that I shot this morning. If anyone has some ideas to improve this project, please let me know. I reinforced the rear conection. I am not sure about the lift mech. and I dont think it is heavy enough for dirt and gravel. It lifts well and seems solid. Chrispost-5715-0-06861600-1325448935_thumb.jppost-5715-0-64535200-1325448975_thumb.jppost-5715-0-28681700-1325449059_thumb.jp

varosd

you want to fab or obtain a lift link instead of using the mower deck pin attachment. don't want to strain the hydro lift too much

plow2.jpg

the silver thingy

ce318

I will try that. I didn't really like my solution that much and would rather have a direct conetion. Thanks for the picture. I will save it. My next move is to use a cable some how to release the blade angle lock. I was thinking some thing along the line of a old bike brake or an old throttle cable.

Chris

varosd

there is a pinned Snowblade thread under resto/mods that is excellent. do you have a picture of the right side of the tractor? I'm sure that Crapsman was like all companys long frame Snow blades and had a right side angle handle. perhaps a a model search of Sears parts ( except it runs so slow)) or fab up a piece of flat iron with correct, some sort of pull cable. how were you looking to angle the blade. other than kicking it? LOL

I'm sure this has been done before on a MTD/JD/Cub etc blade and someone will chime in before long

Also, nice looking 418!!!

Sparky

I wonder if you need some sort of stabilizer to stop the plow frame from being forced to the left or right when using it in the angled position. The rear of a WH plow frame is something along the lines of 12" wide which gives the frame some lefty-righty strength.

Mike.........

ce318

Sparky when I was a kid I had a MF12 and the plow was on a similar frame at the front of the was a hoop, open at the bottom about 4" wide and the hoop raised up about 10". there was a peice that was attatched at the front directly behind the plow that fit in the hoop to stabilize it. This is what I was thinking of doing.

Don, I will definetly check that thread you mentioned I was thinking of fabing up a handle bar to the plow frame and attatch a bike/brake handle and cable.

Thanks all of you for the input. I wish I was on the east side there would be more WH stuff and I would not have to build my own. However I am the only one here with a WH. Excuse the spelling and typing I am on the Itouch...Chris

ce318

the toppic attatchment looks alot like I was describing in the above post. and the rods are height adjustments on my old MF12

varosd

West Coast WH's? there is a 416-H on fleabay this a.m. yes, the concentration is in the Midwest and East for WH. maybe it was turf (ha!,get it?) battles or shipping costs?

ce318

Well one thing it does is force me to be creative that's for sure. I get so many good ideas from all the members here. I actually have RS as my home page. LOL I guess I am addicted.