Rooster

Cad Users?

Rooster

Anyone else use cad programs.

I use Solid works to make 3d models of my racing mowers, then turn them into reality.

Chassis.pngChassis-2.png

Several of my racing Buddies are SW Users, we save each other time by sharing models.

Was just wondering if anyone else on here had anything to share or even just show off?

You know, like a Suburban Deck......or anything :)

71_Bronco

I use SolidWorks on a daily basis at my job. I freakin' love that software.

Here is a blade I designed on it. Only thing I have on-hand at the moment. This was a "work-in-progress" pic. The blade section on this is roughly 11 3/4" long, and 1 1/2" at the widest point. This was a blade I modeled from mind, not off a part or anything.

Sword.jpg

I wish i could upload some stuff I did here at work. Some really sick stuff. I go the extra mile to do helical threads, and I even do knurling as well. Only issue is that if I post some parts up, it would be really easy to tell where I work LOL.

I also make prints for custom cutters & reamers, so I have a few of those on SolidWorks. Came out really cool with the flutes shown and all the grinding reliefs.

wheelhorse656

do either one of these programs cost money? If they are fee i would be intereasted in knowing where to download it.

Rooster

No, they are quite expensive.

I think Solid Works is about $6K-$7K to get started.

71_Bronco

do either one of these programs cost money? If they are fee i would be intereasted in knowing where to download it.

I think there are free "trials", but not 100% sure. I know that the standard E-Drawings is free, but that is only a viewer for SolidWorks files, not really of much help.

Rooster

If you are an engineering student, there is also a Student version that is free....there are some limitations to what it can do, not sure about it though.

Something to look at is called Alibre...I have played with it, and I think they have a free trial.

SousaKerry

I'm a Solid Edge guy myself I have a nice model of an 8 speed transmission, I used it to set up my hitch and wheelie bars for the puller PM me if ya want the files and what format you would like.

here is a taste

post-4531-0-34262500-1323883696_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Rooster

I am building a new website, one of the things I am planning on adding is a members only cad file sharing page.

SousaKerry

Heck why make a new site just for that, Why not make one here? Or at least build a link database and post the files on 3d central or traceparts or one of the other CAD sites

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I think there are free "trials", but not 100% sure. I know that the standard E-Drawings is free, but that is only a viewer for SolidWorks files, not really of much help.

Bit-torrent has it but I don't use it.

Rooster

Heck why make a new site just for that, Why not make one here? Or at least build a link database and post the files on 3d central or traceparts or one of the other CAD sites

Not making a new site just for that, really updating my current site and adding that.

Trying to make the site more interactive

Lane Ranger

One of you CAD users needs to gt in touch with John Campbell - Brrly1 - and assist him -and the rest of the Red Square gang with a cadcam drawing of the Tombstone Wheel Weight frame that goes on the RJ Model tractors.

John has made up the molds and had several copies formed of the Wheel Horse Tombstone Weights ( and he is also selling them in the classified section) and is wanting to make up a frame.

Just a thought on a good use of CAD!

Rooster

That'd be an easy thing to do.....Happy to do it.

• Like 2

71_Bronco

That'd be an easy thing to do.....Happy to do it.

Agreed. Based on what I see of Roosters work and knowing some of the complex stuff I've done, a simple bracket shouldn't be too difficult.

Come to think of it, I have a grader blade lift links modeled, both the short floating, and long down-preasure link. I could make some PDF's of those prints if that would help.

Let me know.

• Like 1

71_Bronco

ShortLink-2.jpg

ShortLink-1.jpg

LongLink-2.jpg

LongLink-1.jpg

• Like 1

mnWHfan

I am a Solid Edge user and I modeled in all of my C161 automatic except the engine, the hood, and the rear fender. I have also drawn in the rear quick quick attach and most of my snow blade.

DavidD

Good topic, I use Solidworks at my job. I do stamping tool design and manufacture. i get to use 2 seats of it, my boss has 1 seat. We got premium on 1 of my seats, get to work in the simulation a lot. I push both seats pretty hard, seems like there is no end of things to do. I had no idea that so many forum members have the kind of job to get to play with Solidworks all day.That is what it is for me. play all day. :woohoo:

T-Mo

Unigraphics (NX) here - use it at work, have been using it for 20 years or so.

Don1977

I drew blue prints for 45 year. Used Autocad for 25 years never got into 3D drawings. Was always too busy drawing 2D.

jdpuller

I have been using SolidWorks for two years and love it we use it to model most parts for our pullers.

6533955053_187aa6b213_m.jpg

this is a front wheel I modeled for our puller.

Rooster

I drew blue prints for 45 year. Used Autocad for 25 years never got into 3D drawings. Was always too busy drawing 2D.

I used Autocad for a bit, once I went 3D I never looked back!

It is actually so much easier not having to "think " in 3D as you draw in 2D.

I have had guys call 3D Modeling an "Unnecessary waste of money", actually it saves alot of engineering time. It has, however, in my opinion allowed for a degrade in the quality of engineers today. Like anything else you either use it or lose it.

71_Bronco

I used Autocad for a bit, once I went 3D I never looked back!

It is actually so much easier not having to "think " in 3D as you draw in 2D.

I have had guys call 3D Modeling an "Unnecessary waste of money", actually it saves alot of engineering time. It has, however, in my opinion allowed for a degrade in the quality of engineers today. Like anything else you either use it or lose it.

Being on both sides of the coin, I see the point made.

Little background on me. I am 22 years old, and work almost exclusively with SolidWorks at the moment. When I started schooling, the first 2 years were strictly board work. I did floor plans, part layouts, construction plans etc etc on paper sizes from A up to D. After that was 2 years schooling on the computer, AutoCAD at the time, working in 2D. I am extremely good at visualizing the part and making the proper views without having a model to go by. I know that is a weak point for some people. After that, and for the past 2 or 3 years, I have been 3D modeling in SolidWorks.

Back when I was doing manual drafting, by hand with a pencil, layouts and planing were crucial to making a print, or many hours would be wasted. I also learned dimensioning, GDT, all that by hand as well. The fundamentals of print layout and dimensioning is a lost art I feel. I have yet to come across a newer "drafter" with the skill-set I have learned. SolidWorks really eliminates the need for that unfortunately. It even has an "auto-dimension" feature built in, which is a hunk of crap in my opinion.

Anyways, the point of this post is this. People learning strictly on SolidWorks, I feel, are not as good of a "drafter" as the "older generation". Even text has gone way down hill. I used to have to take classes on the correct way to letter on a print. No more with SolidWorks, or any computer program at that.

The good side though, is for people like marketing (yes, I work with them daily) who cannot visualize a part from a 2D print. SolidWorks allows you to do assemblies in the blink of an eye, and can show marketing exactly what they are getting. I even had to work with them on color selection one day, and I was able to print out different versions of the part with different colors and textures applied. Then once you get into stress analysis, fluid dynamics, casting analysis etc etc, SolidWorks has definitely reduced the amount of work to get results, although at a price. Gone are the days of long-hand formulas, and pages of calculations. The price though, is that you don't really understand where the results come from. When you do it by hand, you can go through and make sure everything is accounted for, how it all comes into play etc, but with SolidWorks, you hit a button and it spits out data.

In short, I find that 2D and 3D modeling do have their roles in modern day work environments, however I feel that the level of worker it is putting out is at a lower key then what was produced back even one generation ago. Not trying to knock the "new guys", but seeing everything and growing with the technology has really opened my eyes.

Sorry for the rant guys... :soapbox:, and I do apologize ahead of time if I insulted anybody.

• Like 1

Don1977

Most of my drawing as architectural and still requires 2D. I have also drawn mechanical , electrical, plumbing, structural, site plans, churches, school additions, mobile homes. Also a lot of Handicapped toilet remodels, screen porches, just to name a few. Did a couple for the US Navy while we were in dry dock in Japan. What you young men really missed out on was hand drawing with ink. :laughing-rofl:

Rooster

Hand drawing with INK?? Not this kid! LOL

71_Bronco

Hand drawing with INK?? Not this kid! LOL

Not I either lol. I have heard of the technique, but never had to do it. If I recall correctly, didn't you have to lay it out & draw it all in pencil, then go over it again in pen, then erase all the pencil?