Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

1973 18 auto tranny help

Hodge71

Finally got my 18 auto home :woohoo: and I need some help. :confusion-helpsos: Does anyone have the capacity of the hydro system and a location for the filter? I didn't have alot of time to look once I got home because it has a dead battery, blown hydraulic line, and darkness comes pretty quick in winter :confusion-waiting: . I need to get oil tomorrow and don't know how much I need. I'm hoping to change the o-rings or the entire lineset ( scored a new one off fleabay) if need be. :text-thankyoublue:

stevebo

Hodge,

The hydro on your machine uses tranny fluid. I am not 100% sure what kind but it should say in the manual that I emailed you. It does NOT take motor oil. It fills right below the seat in the fill tube. Good luck-

stevebo

Okay, I just reviewed it and it takes either Dexron or Type F tranny fluid. It calls for 6 quarts. The engine oil calls for 3 quarts.

Hodge71

Steve,

Theres definitely oil in it, not tranny fluid, as it's clear, not red. The sticker under the seat pan says, type A automatic trnasmission oil, the owners manual says type F. and yet theres 10W-30 in it. I'm really lost on this one. I DO NOT want to disassemble this to remove all the oil to try and switch to Type F, as I know they dont mix well. Any ideas? What am I going to hurt if I put 10/30 back in?

massey

It's already been changed to 10-30, just put that back in.

Ed

pfrederi

There are several hydraulic lines which one is blown? The Manifold set (4 steel lines that run from the bottom of the pump to the top of the hydro motor), or one of the lines to they lift cylinders and control valve. If it is the manifold set you will need to round up O rings and backer rings. They are available from Toro, but not cheap. Haven't found an alternate source for the square backer rings. I may have some of the O rings I will check.

Trouty56

You should download the Sundstrand Tranny Manual. I uploaded the document here.....

I had to break it into 4 parts cause it is fairly big. There is a good tip on lining up the manifold to the pump and motor cause those square o rings are a bugger to keep lined up. I used a film of grease to make them a little sticky.

In the middle of the page marked Supplement 2 (about the 3rd page of the file) it mentions oil types.

Maybe you already have this manual tho.