Sign in to follow this  
varosd

lift linkage for snowplow

varosd

It's that time of year and while I have a great ST (thanks to all the WH folks who helped me last year with all the advice and help), the snow in Oct was a bit too wet to "throw"...so we (the Frau and me) resorted to the "lift and tote" method. So, then she said the magic words.."Can't you get a plow , so I don't have to shovel?" :greetings-clappingyellow:

I am going to look at a plow, that is for sale, tommorow.

As I look at all the old posts on snow plows..I keep seeing a chain that goes up to the rock shaft. my 77 B-80 doesnt have a chain, it has a rod that attaches to the implement lift to the rock shaft. Might I be missing pieces that should come with the plow (hopefully), or is the chain only on some models?

I'm sure I can add a chain/eyebolt,trunions etc if needed.

The plow for sale may or may not have the much sought after rear attachment hitch...we will see tommrow. It does have the solid lift link from the plow to the implement lift.

Thanks in advance!

smoreau

That would cause it to have down pressure on the blade with both links solid. For some snow removal its good to let the blade float across the ground. But if you want to remove some frozen snow that leaves a bump in the drive, then the solid link will be better for that. I use a chain as I want the blade to float across the un-level ground. With the solid link I believe I would dig into the drive too much and have stones in the grass more. I would guess that it's a personal preference, And you need to find out what works better for you.

varosd

Thanks Scott Got it! I saw a seller that had homemade "solid links" for sale that provided that down pressure you were talking about. Floating would seem a better (and safer for the asphalt) solution..so, just remove the rod and buy some chain! Was adding a chain in any manual or just a trade secret?

smoreau

I think you had a option, My 875 came with a factory solid link, but it would still float because it was manual lift. But with hydro lift you can get down pressure with a solid link, witch works good for moving dirt, but bad for moving snow on a gravel drive. I have both and I use the chain most of the time. It would be nice to have a float option in the hydro lift valve so you could have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

TT

my 77 B-80 doesnt have a chain, it has a rod that attaches to the implement lift to the rock shaft.

The top of that rod should be threaded and pass through a trunnion attached to the arm on the lift lever shaft. There should be a locknut above the trunnion. The hole through the trunnion is not threaded, so the rod can slide and the attachment can float.

can whlvr

my solid fitted plows float,and when you want down pressure you push on the lift handle

rwilson

I prefer the plow blade to float in the snow. If the snow melts a little and refreezes then I want down pressure to scrape it away. There are pros and cons to both. Its realy what you like best. My mid grader blade is solid mounted soI can apply down pressure. I never run the grader on a hydro lift either.