Sign in to follow this  
bean

snow blower 8hp 4 speed compatability

bean

I just bought a wheel horse 1973 8hp 4spd. it has the attach o matic and I was looking for some advice on a snow blower. I would like to get the narrowest blower that will work with the front mount. 32"? 36"?

I know it is only 8hp, but most of our snowfall is 4"-6".

any advice?

TT

any advice?

Putting a snowthrower on a "lower" hp tractor without having low range (or a hydro) is not the best idea.

Even in first gear, the ground speed is often too fast, resulting in the need to "feather the clutch" - which means slippage/wear of the drive belt.

If you go through with it, a 36" thrower will be fine. Nothing says you have to load the full width of the auger when clearing larger areas. (except on the first pass)

For full-width paths, sidewalks, and for deeper / wetter snow, see my first comment. :)

bean

thanks terry.

my driveway is probably 60' long, so I could do half widths and still be done in a few minutes. it is something the grandkids want to try.

varosd

Terry is right! I have the B-80 with the 8 speed and will "carve" out swaths..especially if its steep and deep! I run a 42 inch w/o any issues on horsepower. of course more horse are better, but I did have another brand tractor with a old old worn out 12 hp and the B-80 is much more powerful!

bean

here is another question;

can a snowblower that is setup for a verticle shaft engine, be used on a horizontal shaft tractor?

it appears that the snowblower is just a regular horizontal model that has an added right angle setup to allow it to be used on the verticle tractor

TT

I suppose if a guy had access to welders, torches, lathes, etc., he could make anything fit anything. :ychain:

The biggest factor would be the cost, effort, time, & energy required to convert vs. spending some more money and buying one that is a direct fit.

varosd

if you don't own this ST yet........like Terry states anything is possible with a cutting torch etc, it might be easier to keep looking for one that FITS w/o trying to switch it back from vertical shaft to horizontal shaft. I picked up a ST that the PO was nice enough to even deliver (only about 15 milesdown the road )and showed me how to to hook it up! WH folks are that type of great people!! can you post a picture of this ST?

bean

I haven't bought a snowblower yet. I happened to see the model from the verticle shaft tractor. I will wait until I find a 36". no rush, we have a self propelled blower that the grandsons can operate. that keeps them happy.