Sign in to follow this  
dodgeramsst2003

Hydro engagement lever problems

dodgeramsst2003

I have a gt1848 workhorse that I'm having problems with the engagement lever on. I'm talking about the lever that engages the belt to the trans, not the actual forward/reverse lever.

I had to move the tractor one day and so I pulled up on the lever to disengage the trans so I could roll it around. It kept popping back down and I had to fiddle with it for a while to finally get it to stay up. The problem now is that it won't stay engaged. I push down and forward and it pops back up to me. Can anyone tell me how exactly this stays down? I looked at the toro website and it looks like it either has a spring, or some teeth, or both. has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks,

Chris

Trouty56

There is a spring that pulls the drive tension pulley down. The same spring locks the lever up. Better remove the belt cover and take a look see.

I don't know about the GT tractors but pulling the lever up does not disengage the trans on the hydros I own. There is a relief valve on the pump somewhere.

can whlvr

sorry i dont have a 1848,i wonder if the spring let go that puts tension on the lever has slipped off,or broke,thats the first thing to look for

dodgeramsst2003

Thanks for the quick replies. I already have the belt cover off and there is no spring anywhere in sight. i expected to see one, but I've looked all over and there is no spring. I guess I'll have to dig through my big ol box of springs that I picked up at a garage sale and see if I can find one that will work. This is a very very beat up worker that I got on trade. It's had many owners in its life and has all sorts of character from each one of them. Just today I removed a nail that was holding the lift chain in place, and another nail that was holding the lift flag in place.

Chris

Trouty56

I got one at Home Depot. Too bad you don't have the broken one. It attaches to the little arm from the tranny at the bottom and to the middle of the lever assembly (there is a small tab with a hole in it). My guess on size.....3/4 X 3 3/4......just a guess.

dgoyette

Here is a photo I found that may be helpful

post-1143-0-77264500-1322997882_thumb.jp

• Like 1

TT

The belt tensioner locks in the released position by snapping over-center. As long as all of the pieces are there and not completely worn out, it should lock.

The IPL:

gt1848spring.jpg

Real life:

GT1848dbtensioner001.jpg

The top hook of the spring does indeed fasten in the small tab welded to the idler arm:

GT1848dbtensioner002.jpg

But the bottom hook attaches to a bolt through a hole in the frame:

GT1848dbtensioner003.jpg

Disengaging the drive belt does not make pushing the tractor easier, however it does make starting the engine easier since the pump isn't turning. (especially when the oil is cold)

If you need to move the tractor, release the parking brake, push the direction control lever as far forward as it will go, and slowly push the tractor. There is no release ("tow") valve on the Eaton 1100 hydro unit.

dodgeramsst2003

Thanks for the pictures I am indeed missing that spring on mine. This tractor is very new to me and I just saw "disengage" on the center tunnel and thought "hey that must be how you push it around" I've looked all over the garage for the remains of the spring and can't find anything anywhere. It's much easier actually seeing it in a picture.

dodgeramsst2003

I found a spring in my box of springs that worked like a charm. I'm back in business.... well except for the batter being down and it not starting lol.