Sign in to follow this  
soofoodude

Tiller Swap - Am I crazy?

soofoodude

Greetings Folks - I have a question for those more knowlegeable than I regarding the older series tillers and the newer 5xi tillers. I have a nearly brand new 5xi tiller for my 523Dxi and am thinking about swapping for a brand new tiller that would fit on my 520H. I like to mow with the diesel as it is much more fuel efficient but will be doing a significant amount of tilling throughout the summer next year. It would be much more convenient to just leave a tiller on the 520. I tried out the 5xi tiller this fall and it ran really sweet, but I have never owned or ran a tiller for the 520H. Are the older tillers as "solid" and perform as well as the newer tillers. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

zieg72

Greetings Folks - I have a question for those more knowlegeable than I regarding the older series tillers and the newer 5xi tillers. I have a nearly brand new 5xi tiller for my 523Dxi and am thinking about swapping for a brand new tiller that would fit on my 520H. I like to mow with the diesel as it is much more fuel efficient but will be doing a significant amount of tilling throughout the summer next year. It would be much more convenient to just leave a tiller on the 520. I tried out the 5xi tiller this fall and it ran really sweet, but I have never owned or ran a tiller for the 520H. Are the older tillers as "solid" and perform as well as the newer tillers. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Never had anything newer but the one on my 520H pictured works flawlessly...

floor-it

I have an older tiller made in 1989/1990 and it does a great job when used on all of my 300 or 400 series tractors. I think that the tiller does the most wear and tear on my tractors than any other attachment as I vibrates and shakes the tractor. So now I only drive the tiller with my older 417-8 tractor and keep my more favorite models for mowing, leaf collection and snow throwwer use.

I would like to see a photo of the tiller for the 523Dxi

Gary

Kelly

The tiller if memory serves me right is the same with only the mounting frame being diff. be sure if you do the swap you get all the parts to the 520 tiller, tiller, axle bracket, mid pulleys, belt, and some other small stuff.

Forest Road

I've seen the both tillers side by side. The gearboxes appeared to be identical. Suppose you regret your decision later on will you be able to get another tiller for the xi?

soofoodude

Suppose you regret your decision later on will you be able to get another tiller for the xi? -------- GREAT POINT

Maybe I will get an extra - There is still room in the Barn.

Floor-it was looking for a pic of the tiller - here it is . Nothing spectacular

DSCN1855.jpg

Here are some Photos of the 523 - Ready for some snow.

Still have to get the chute rotation and spout automation finshed

DSCN1860.jpg

DSCN1865.jpg

DSCN1862.jpg

DSCN1863.jpg

DSCN1861.jpg

DSCN1864.jpg

40 Amp Alternator makes life easy :)

Kelly

They look like beast, I'll have one some day, love to have a DXI.

Forest Road

I grabbed a tiller a few months back.... The price was right and.... Do I really need a reason?