Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Credit / debit card got hacked

nylyon

Got a call from my bank last night, someone in Canada racked up $1,200 in charges on my credit / debit card. They caught it and stopped more from occurring, put a hold on my account until I spoke with them. Well, I got my cards cancelled, now I have to do the cleanup and try to get my money back. Just in time for the Holidays!

Sucks!

Zeek

Happened to me three years ago :angry:

nylyon

I'm sure I'll get the money back, just a matter of when, then the hassle of updating all that auto pay stuff

rmaynard

$9.00 per month for LifeLock. Never thought I would need it, but several years ago I got a similar call from the bank. I'd rather pay $100 + per year and not have to worry about similar situations happening again.

rexman72

so lifelock is the real deal?

$9.00 per month for LifeLock. Never thought I would need it, but several years ago I got a similar call from the bank. I'd rather pay $100 + per year and not have to worry about similar situations happening again.

pulse301

Lifelock wouldn't prevent someone from stealing your debit card number and using it. It would likely prevent someone from opening a credit card with your name, but you can do the same thing that Lifelock does. Just call all 3 of the credit check companies (Experian, Transunion, and Equifax) and freeze your credit. That is exactly what Lifelock does. Then, if someone tries to use your credit to do something (take a loan, open a credit card, etc) the credit reporting company must contact you, to get your authorization password or pin in order to unfreeze your credit. Then, you can use annualcreditreport.com (NOT freecreditreport.com) to get your credit reports each year to check for inaccurate information.

There is no doubt that lifelock makes this stuff easier, because they do those 2 things for you, but $100 a year could buy you a dinner at Ruth's Chris while you review your credit report :-)

reecie

Nylon, Sorry to hear about that. Yeah, that does suck.

What is wrong with people? Too much time and not enough...

AMC RULES

Any idea where they hacked your account info from?

rmaynard

All of my credit cards have built-in fraud protection. But I can't be watching my entire portfolio 24 hours a day for anything that may be endangering my identity. That's the point. I don't want to have to review my credit reports while eating dinner. I'd rather pay someone else to do it 24/7 while I sit back and relax. I'm not saying that LifeLock is the best, but I am saying that having some sort of protection beats the alternative.

And if you happen to Goggle LifeLock, I am not the original founder.

nylyon

Any idea where they hacked your account info from?

No, could be a lot of things, someone hacked a site that had our information, an on-line purchase without SSL enabled?

I have realtime credit and identity theft protection and I am not overly concerned. My Bank does a pretty good job with these things (as do most larger banks I assume), just the time of year to be missing that money sucks!

shootinok

I've had that happen twice now.

The credit card company (Citi) has been really good to work with in both instances. It does take a little while for things to clear off but they got it done for me.

I only use a credit card now for online purchases because if they had gotten it from my bank i.e. a debit card or direct debit I dont know if i'd ever get it back.

rmaynard

... just the time of year to be missing that money sucks!

Your bank/credit card company should not charge you any more than $50.00 for the loss. It's their job to watch for patterns of card use that do not fit your profile. That is unless you gave your card to someone who misused it, then you can be liable.

AMC RULES

I wish everybody took paypal.

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Lifelock wouldn't prevent someone from stealing your debit card number and using it. It would likely prevent someone from opening a credit card with your name, but you can do the same thing that Lifelock does. Just call all 3 of the credit check companies (Experian, Transunion, and Equifax) and freeze your credit. That is exactly what Lifelock does. Then, if someone tries to use your credit to do something (take a loan, open a credit card, etc) the credit reporting company must contact you, to get your authorization password or pin in order to unfreeze your credit. Then, you can use annualcreditreport.com (NOT freecreditreport.com) to get your credit reports each year to check for inaccurate information.

There is no doubt that lifelock makes this stuff easier, because they do those 2 things for you, but $100 a year could buy you a dinner at Ruth's Chris while you review your credit report :smile:

Lifelock was fined $12 million for deceptive business practices and the CEO had his identity stolen over 13 times since he brilliantly published his social security number to the world. The founder Robert Maynard was forced to resign after being caught lying. He also stole his father's SSN and opened up a American Express card and charged up $175,000.

I setup my credit cards to text/email all purchases over a certain dollar amount. Most credit cards offer these types of notifications that you can setup. I don't use debit cards. They probably stole the number from a company that you used it to purchase something from. I always see in the news where huge lists of credit card numbers are stolen on a regular basis.

I had some lady try to buy Airline tickets to Jamaica with my Discover Card last year. She has to give her name for the tickets and show a proper ID to get on the plane and it was bought months ahead of time so it was a bit obvious. But thieves aren't known for being smart.

stevebo

Several years ago I had a group of people that worked for me at a lunch meeting and I was busy with topics at hand. I gave my ccard to the waiter and he had not returned with anything for me to sign prior to us getting up and leaving. I remembered the next day and went to the place I was the day before and the waiter was not there. Come to find out he actually went on a spending spree at the mall (close to $1500 worth) with my card !!! Did he not think I would figure it out?? The thing that sucks is the stores in which he purchased the stuff lost out as the ccard refused to pay for the items. I cannot believe some people...

Sorry to hear about your situation Karl but I am sure your bank will reverse the charges for you.

Rooster

Banks are supposed to....., stores are supposed to.....yadda yadda, pffffffffffffffffffffft.

When people do not do what they are supposed to...you end up on the short end, even if just for a short period.

Life Lock protects your credit, not your money!

No one protects your money!

I do not count on other people to protect my hard earned cash, I do it myself!

I have a card I use, when I want to buy something, I transfer money to it and make the purchase.

They cannot steal money that is not there!

yes it can be a hassle, but not as much hassle as getting your money back!

Sorry about your luck Karl, hope it gets straightened out quick!

I wish everybody took paypal.

Paypal is pretty safe...but one scam you have to watch out for there is the "gift"...

You buy something, they say send the money as a gift to save the charges...then never send you anything.

You will not get your money back from PayPal for not getting something when you told them you did not buy anything!

As a matter of fact, you will most likely lose your paypal account for Defrauding them of funds!

can whlvr

thats a real drag karl,i had a similar thing happen to me and the bank wouldnt tell me where the crooks got my numbers so i could avoid that store in future,thats why i never use my credit card on the internet,but its hard because theives are kniving weasels,they find other ways to rob hard working people,we as a society should have MUCH harder pennalties,make them dig in coal mines with pics and shovels,no tv or internet,and give em slop for food,maybe then theives would get a job and earn there own money

nylyon

It's an inconvenience, but it isn't personal, so I don't feel like I was attacked or targeted. The bank stopped the remaining transactions, but one or 2 did get by. They are sending me papers to get notarized which will get me my money back. It doesn't matter if you frequent an on-line shop or local retailer, your information eventually gets stored on computers. Computers get hacked and your information is in the hands of those who shouldn't have it. In this case, it's just money, what you need to safeguard is your ratings and privacy, which is increasingly more difficult to do now a days.