Sign in to follow this  
nyquil junkie

Changing the drive pully size - 855

nyquil junkie

I was looking and thinking (a dangerous thing sometimes) and I was wondering, on the side of the 855's transmission is the drive pully.... it's small.

Will it damage the transmission to put a slightly larger size pully on there to lower the gearing overall and get a little more power?

When I test drove this 855 where I picked it up, I noticed even 1st gear was a little quick, I'm used to driving my old bolens 854 around in low range 1st pushing and pulling stuff.

I just noticed, I bought an 855 to replace an 854 in another brand.... to weird.

Anyway, I was just curious if bumping up the drive pully size to lower the gear range would do any damage to the 3sp transmission. I'm gonna be pushing stuff around with the blade with it so a little lower range would be nice.

Thanks for the input.

:)

TT

Wheel Horse did the same thing way back in 1964 with the SR-64 speed reduction kit.

Along with the obvious "supporting" pieces, the tranz input pulley was changed (from 4" up to 7 1/2")

To give you an idea what the kit consisted of, here's the parts list: http://www.partstree...0-71400015-0006

• Like 1

nyquil junkie

Cool. That extra set of idler wheels shouldn't be to hard to fabricate. Might not even need it if the pully is 6" instead of 7.5"

From 4 to 6 or 7 should lower the range down just perfect. Thanks man!

I dont see why you'd need that extra set even with a 7.5

It'll be something to experiment with and an excuse to take pictures.

:lol:

nyquil junkie

I found a pic of that setup on a google search.

post-5696-0-69906700-1322610498_thumb.jp

TT

That's almost correct, but that tractor also has a larger-than-stock engine pulley.

I'm pretty sure that the additional idlers were used to help "contain" the drive belt within the profile of the original belt guard design as much as possible - even though the lower rear portion had to be modified quite a bit.

The lower idler also help put more belt "wrap" on the pulley - which means less slippage under load.

Don1977

I have a copy of the original SR 64 Parts and instructions. It includes a new belt guard and states that it is almost a fifty percent reduction in speed.

SpeedReductionSR-64_0001.jpg

SpeedReductionSR-64_0003.jpg

nyquil junkie

That's pretty cool.

I wonder if anyone here has one of those kits handy.

I measure the drive pulley shaft at 3/4", is that right?

I could just pick up any keyed 6"+ pulley and get near the same gear reduction.

Finding a longer belt might cost me some bucks.

Once I start shoving the manure around I'll know real quick if I need a lower range.

which might lead to just buying another Wh with an 8 speed hi-lo on it. I hear this sort of thing happens once you buy one.

nyquil junkie

Since I am upgrading this tractor I will add today that I put a 6" pulley on in place of the stock 4".

Since the engine is being replaced, I just repositioned it back a bit so the original belt works.

Do you think 6" will create a good creeper 1st gear? I need a really slow gear to maneuver and pull some stuff n the woods and around the cow barn.

The stock 1st gear is too fast, I am hoping the 6" slows it down a lot.

If not I can go with an 8" but I'm not sure it will fit plus I will need a new belt.

pfrederi

You may have to modify the belt guard.

nyquil junkie

Yes I had to cut a little and tweak it bit. If I get lucky it wont rub or hop off... it seems tight and right.

nyquil junkie

We put it to work today hauling cow manure and bark mulch with a big wagon (big enough to put the tractor in plus some) up a few steep hills and over some tough ground....

That stepped down gear really worked well. Pretty much no place it won't drag a loaded wagon.