Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Picture of dash panel for Commando 8

AMC RULES

Where did the information on that list come from? :scratchead:

rmaynard

That's a real good question. I have found serial & model numbers incorrectly listed on some of the Yahoo groups. But having said that, anyone can make a mistake. Lord knows that someday I'll make one. :lol:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Making mistakes is easy to do, correcting them is the challenge. :dunno:

COMMANDO6

Making mistakes is easy to do, correcting them is the challenge. :dunno:

There's no correcting things on the internet. It's there forever.

AMC RULES

For real? :scratchead:

CasualObserver

I made the same mistake once and found out it was a two year model.........68 and 69.

Yes your dash should have a decal on it.

The Commando 8 is a one year only. the 4831/4832 is a designator for a mid-year change. Same as the Charger9 1-7931/7932 (notice....both 1968 tractors.) I don't know what specifically changed though. Just some insignificant detail. We all know Wheel Horse implemented improvements continuously through the years. Some were at model year changes, some were in mid-production. It's just incorrectly identified as 1969 on "the list" which was made by a member here long ago before he was a member or RS even existed.

And that dash will likely get a decal on it now if you restore it... but the original was screen printed.

Oh... and FWIW Bob (rmaynard) My Commando 8 has a generator light (that works) and lighter... and is in good shape. Unfortunately though, it's 350 miles away so I can't take a picture for you.

whfan74

Good info Jason......unfortunately I was misled a long time ago as well. Who knows what the real story is behind it. Any way we could get that changed in the model list as this subject comes up at least once a year?

And yes a replacement will obviously have to be a decal.....as they were screen printed. I should have made that more clear.

rmaynard

Oh... and FWIW Bob (rmaynard) My Commando 8 has a generator light (that works) and lighter... and is in good shape. Unfortunately though, it's 350 miles away so I can't take a picture for you.

It is curious though that the wiring diagram and parts list do not refer to the generator light or it's wiring, even though mine (purchased from the original owner) has the red lens.

CasualObserver

Any way we could get that changed in the model list as this subject comes up at least once a year?

Good idea! Done. (and I also fixed the 1969 Raider 10 that has been listed as a 1970. That one always bugged me too.)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:greetings-clapyellow: Yea Jason! :woohoo:

rmaynard

This thread seems to have veered off the track a bit, and onto a discussion about model years and non-existent 1969 Commando 8's. So now that it is back on the track again, here is another question about the original dash. Some pictures that I see have a white painted dash. Mine has a white painted dash. Others have a chrome, silk screened dash. The parts manual calls for a #7222 dash which is silk-screened and used on the 867, 1067, 1267 as well as the Commando 8. My dash shows no evidence of being "re"painted, and after removing the white paint, then a dark mustard-colored primer, it is bare metal with no evidence of any prior silk-screening. Could there have been two different dashes? Maybe the original silk-screened ones used in 1967 were used at the beginning of the 1968 model year, and then blanks painted white on later builds after they ran out of silk-screened ones.

AMC RULES

Mine showed faint evidence of the silk screening process remaining under the white, no primer.

MikesRJ

Robert (RManard), would you happen to have a picture of the inside front of the Commando 8 belt cover?

rmaynard

Robert (RManard), would you happen to have a picture of the inside front of the Commando 8 belt cover?

I can shoot one tomorrow and post it or email it.

rmaynard

Email sent.

Bassquack

I know I am late but here is my dash also Bob...

gallery_3863_50_31097.jpg

Bassquack

Unfortunatley, the only thing I noticed under that rust was more rust, I would'nt have known what the silk screen was if I seen it. By the time I got the rust off, it was bare metal.. :)