Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Picture of dash panel for Commando 8

rmaynard

I was wondering if anyone has a good picture of an original dash on a Commando 8. Am I correct in assuming that this is the right replacement decal for the dash?

post-2221-0-21373100-1322526173.jpg

Is the item shown below with the arrow just a blank or cover for a non-existent light switch? Did the Commando 8 come with a lighter standard, or was it optional?

post-2221-0-11221400-1322526295.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Vinylguy

Bob

I have always wondered the same thing. I can take the lettering off where the light switch plug is and also the lighter if you need me too.

rmaynard

Thanks Terry. I need to see what was "factory" original first. I want to restore the tractor to original condition.

Vinylguy

Roger that B-100

Anxious to see myself.

MikesRJ

Light switch for standard headlights. I would post a picture of it but I am in Detroit, MI at the moment. I can send a picture of my Commando 8 when I get home.

Similar to this switch (not the dash plate obviously), but with a chrome tin bezel ring around the switch:

DSCN2493.JPG

rmaynard

Mike,

I remember that dash. That's on the 800 Automatic that I picked up for you, right?. The original dash on the Commando was not plastic according to the parts list, and there was a blank plug where the light switch would have gone, Does your Commando 8 have an original metal dash? When are you coming back from Detroit? You could stop in Williamsport on your way home and pick up the Commando for me. :ychain:

AMC RULES

Picture1947251572.jpg

Looks like mine is pretty similar to yours Bob. Light switch blocked off, and no lighter when I got it. Original or not, lights and lighter have been added since. Still looking for the correct switch though. Terry do you have the pictured dash decals currently available on your site?

rmaynard

Terry do you have the pictured dash decals currently available on your site?

Here is the link to Terry's page for dash decals.

http://www.redoyourh...H-DECALS/Detail

TT

The '67 867/1067/1267 models and the '68 Commando 8 list # 7222 as the correct dash panel.

The # 7379 dash panel was used on the '68 Raiders and the Commando 6 :scratchead: - which is this panel:

e924_3.jpg

I have no clue what the difference is. :confusion-shrug:

The lighter was standard but lights were optional on the Commando 8.

rmaynard

Thanks TT. That's what I needed to know.

sorekiwi

Still looking for the correct switch though.

A source for the correct switch is in this post:

Make sure you order the one with the -02 suffix, the -01 suffix switch has a narrower bezel.

AMC RULES

Terry do you have the pictured dash decals currently available on your site?

Here is the link to Terry's page for dash decals.

http://www.redoyourh...H-DECALS/Detail

Thank you Bob. :techie-idea:

MikesRJ

Looking at my dash today, I notice it is painted over. Bob. Guess I will be watching the results of this thread closely myself.

sorekiwi

The '67 867/1067/1267 models and the '68 Commando 8 list # 7222 as the correct dash panel.

Not the greatest picture but this is the dash from the 1267 (p/n 7222):

IMG_2804.jpg

JCHARLEY22

I BELIEVE THE LIGHTER CAME ON ALL THE COMMANDO 8 BUT THE LIGHTS WERE AN OPTION

Fun Engineer

Bob

You have the correct decal in your post. I'm looking at my original dash right now. On my Commando 8 which was bought by my parents the lighter came standard. Mine has the black cover where the light switch goes.

whfan74

Bob,

The decal that you have listed in your first post is the correct one for the Commando 8. I just finished my Commando 8 and that is what I have along with the black plastic cap to fill the light switch hole. Mine came with the escutcheon plate.

rmaynard

Interestingly, my Commando 8 has a generator light red lens, (with no bulb or wiring), and if you look at the wiring diagram for the Commando 8, there is no wire for the light, and in the parts list, no lens, or bulb.

AMC RULES

Mine, for reference.

post-3498-0-70042300-1331167818_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-86879900-1331167848_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-48190200-1331167870_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-39707500-1331167903_thumb.jp

COMMANDO1

I have a 1972 commando 8. no lighter

rmaynard

I have a 1972 commando 8. no lighter

Commando 8 was only made in 1968. Are you referring to a 1972 Commando 800?

AMC RULES

Commando 8 was only made in 1968.

Not according to our model list posted here on the forum Bob. :teasing-poke:

1-4831 1968 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando 8 4-Speed Kohler K181S-30108D 8 Wheel Horse 5053

1-4832 1969 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando 8 4-Speed Kohler K181S-30108D 8 Wheel Horse 5053

COMMANDO6

I know this is a little off-topic, but I have a couple questions about the dash for my Commando 6.

post-5275-0-30521600-1331237833_thumb.jp

First, it has the plastic cover for the optional light kit (8-0811)

(If anyone has one, I would be willing to take it off your hands)

But the original key switch rusted away to nothingness, so in the big hole (Was for a cigarette lighter?) was used for a bigger key switch, and there's a a transformer for the starter behind the dash. But the key switch I'm using doesn't allow for you to shut the tractor down, so I use a regular toggle switch in the original starter hole to cut power to it. The Commando 6 did not use a generator light cause it's got a Tecumseh. But did it originally have a decal on the dash?

The setup I'm using is far from original, but it works...

Oh and the commando 6 was only made in 68, but the Commando 8 was made from 68 to 70.

whfan74

I made the same mistake once and found out it was a two year model.........68 and 69. Then it changed to the V8 which is a vertical motor.....whole different beast.

I know things may be changed over the years but my dash did not look like it was touched at all in the 44 years it has been in existence and had the red generator light with all of the wiring, and still works today. :)

Yes your dash should have a decal on it. You are right......Where your key switch is where a cigarette lighter is supposed to be. And the original key switch moved over to your toggle switch hole.

rmaynard

Commando 8 was only made in 1968.

Not according to our model list posted here on the forum Bob. :teasing-poke:

1-4831 1968 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando 8 4-Speed Kohler K181S-30108D 8 Wheel Horse 5053

1-4832 1969 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando 8 4-Speed Kohler K181S-30108D 8 Wheel Horse 5053

Craig,

I know what the list says, but I and many others believe that is a misprint. No one has ever provided an ID tag or a picture of a 1969 Commando 8. :wwp:

• Like 1