Sign in to follow this  
hounddoghundzsa

Broken lift handle button

hounddoghundzsa

Has anyone tryed to repair one? I'm assuming there's a spring in there somewhere, but how do you get to it? (deck lift lever on 552) :dunno:

hounddoghundzsa

Anybody?

Paul D.

I have never replaced one before but when I had my motor off doing a rebuild I had the side covers off. I believe you can access it from there. Is that An auto lift or manual? Mine is an auto lift and I thought it was a hydraulic valve without a spring but I could be wrong. I didn't pay alot of attention to it when I was reassembling. (if it's not broke. Don't fix it). Wish I could be more help.

rmaynard

At the bottom of the push rod is a spring. I don't know if you can get to it without removing the entire lift lever, but that is probably broken or missing. I know that on later models it is possible to replace it without removal of the whole assembly.

post-2221-0-69148300-1325253891_thumb.jp

(Parts diagram courtesy of MyWheelHorse.com)

TT

I am almost certain that the spring can't be accessed with the lever still in the hoodstand. (I'm not home or I'd go look at one of mine)

What the IPL doesn't show is that the '62 lift lever assembly can be a real pain to get apart. You'll have to drive the roll pin out of the lift lever shaft and with extreme luck, the outside "tube" where the levers attach won't be seized to the shaft by 50 years of rust.

SousaKerry

This part requires at least 30 cuss words to remove, but as said previously you have to take the entire assembly out, I think you can pop the spring in without removing the F&^%$@! roll pin. I think I ruined several drill bits transfer punches and anything else I could find removing the roll pin on my 655 when I restored it. Oh and the 655 now features a SS button rod now just in case.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

This part requires at least 30 cuss words to remove...

Now that you mention it, I too have discovered a liberal application of this very same tool is suprisingly beneficial. :coffee:

Sparky

Make sure no young impressionable kids are around when you take on this job :eusa-doh: .

Mike.......

AMC RULES

Uh oh! :scratchead: IIRC, I discovered this technique as a young lad. :eusa-doh:

TT

This part requires at least 30 cuss words to remove, but as said previously you have to take the entire assembly out, I think you can pop the spring in without removing the F&^%$@! roll pin.

I agree with both statements above, but the lift lever assembly mounting method is totally different on the '61 701 & the '62 models compared to the '63 & newer models. It requires removal of the large roll pin (#19 in the IPL pictured above) and the ability to slide the shaft out of the pipe portion of #174. The '78 & newer models are very similar in design - with the exception of the roll pin being replaced by a square key and two hitch pin clips. (fighting to remove them is also common)

I couldn't get to my 502 or 552 and my 702 has hydraulic lift, but I did try accessing the spring on a spare lever/hoodstand and am still pretty sure it can't be done when assembled.

Here's a few pics of the lift lever plunger:

P1070218.jpg

P1070220.jpg

P1070222.jpg

hounddoghundzsa

It looks like the hood and engine have to come off to get to that daggone roll pin. I think I'll just soak it with some Blaster, wrap it with a rag and let her sit a few months. Maybe if I let some penetrating oil soak into her she'll be more forgiving... The 'ol 552 was about ready for a makeover anyhow.

Thanks Guys!