Sign in to follow this  
tmix

Flushing Raider Trans

tmix

I been reading threads how people drain and flush tranmissions.

1. Drain Trans Fluid

2. Put Diesel Fluid in 1 1/2 Qts?

3. Put on Jack stand and Spin wheels.

4. Drain Diesel Fluid out.

5. Refill with 90 weight.

6. Question after draining diesel fluid out DOES it matter if it all doesn't come out it will mix with the 90 weight? Or do I take my AIR nossle out and try to blow it out from the TOP Down you know there is Still gonna be some in there right. Or don't worry about it ? :dunno: TMIX

rmaynard

Because the diesel fuel is so thin, it will drain out pretty easily. Jack up the front of the tractor to assist the draining process. Any remaining diesel will not dilute the new oil to a point that would be detrimental. Wheel Horse calls for 90-140 gear oil. A little diesel won't hurt it. I don't think you will accomplish much by using compressed air.

tmix

Thanks Bob just thought I would ask frist. tmix

Martin

2. Put Diesel Fluid in 1 1/2 Qts?

i always try to get as much diesel in as possible. fill it up especially if the oil has had some water in it at some stage. helps to flush as much out as possible. you need to get that diesel up in the area above the normal settled oil level too. :dunno:

can whlvr

depending on how bad the existing fluid is you can do a couple of flushes,i buy the new oil by the 5 gallon pail so i fill them after the flush,run them for an hour or 2 and then drain and refill,sounds like over kill but it makes me feel good about the flush

Actonhorse

Yup, I have done a few of them, some took one flush, some took a few flushes. I ended up opening up the one that took a few and it still needed a good cleaning. Keep in mind that it sat outside for about 5 years and the oil water mix was a thick sludge when I went to clean it.

Kelly

I just did one, the steps I did on this one.

1. drain, refill with 2qts auto trans fluid, drive around 20 min. or so, (I turn a kid loose for this) ATF cleans very good

2. drain refill with 2qts motor oil, again turn a kid loose for 20 min.

3. if last drain came out clean I refill with gear lube, if not another 2qts motor oil

I only use diesel/kero if the fist drain is more than just milky. I've had them that I had to poke a screw driver up the hole just to get it to start draining.

Doubletrouble

I agree with Kelly, auto ATF is a vey good cleaner for several different applications where oil is normally used. Then by replacing the ATF with the motor oil will get all the ATF out then refill with the 90wt.

can whlvr

the tranny fluid would lubricate good when flushing too

condo630

I used kerosene, had to drain and refill several times, jacked up and spun wheels as the OP said. I repeated the process until the kero came out clear. I did use compressed air to try to blow out any residual kero, but I don't think it made a huge difference. If you are meticulous about maintenance, I wouldn't worry about a small amount of dilution after a flush.