Sign in to follow this  
546cowboy

Have you ever seen anything like this?

546cowboy

I saw ths at the scrap yard this week and just had to get it. It looks like an aerator with a roller mounted behind it. It is factory made and another guy there said he thought it was an aerator/packer. Now that just doesn't sound right. Why would you want to aerate and then pack it back down? :dunno: Anyway here are some pictures.

100_1237.jpg

100_1238.jpg

100_1239.jpg

Fun Engineer

This was common years ago. Depending upon how aggressive the aerating is, you can get tufting of the turf which leaves a dimpled surface. This usually smooths out over time. Some times, depending upon your situation, a light rolling won't hurt. The aerating tines on the machine in your picture are slicing tines and are not very aggressive however any extra air/water into the soil is helpful. It would most likely depend on how much weight you were to put on the weight rack. Nice aerator cowboy.

546cowboy

I did a little work to it, straightened the tongue, oiled all the turning pieces, wire brushed it some and painted parts with rust converter, cut out the roller drain plug and replaced it and it looks a lot better than when I got it.

Well here's what I thought it might be good for. We have horses and a manure pile that makes great top soil after a couple years but when you spread it, there are clumps that are hard to break up with a hand rake. I thought maybe this will work to break those up by running back and forth over it. What do you think? :dunno:

shootinok

That thing is COOL!

I think you have the perfect application with the horse poo composter. :dunno:

Fun Engineer

Sounds like that would work.

AMC RULES

How's it work, have you tried it out yet? :dunno:

KC9KAS

"We have horses and a manure pile"

I'm glad my horses ( :dunno: ) don't make a mess like that!

Doubletrouble

Looks like it would turn very hard though. No pivot point between the roller and the tines.