Sign in to follow this  
bean

verticle shaft garden tractor?

bean

heelo,

did wheel horse make a garden tractor with a verticle shaft engine?

I have seen what I thought was an a-series, but it was light duty and had no way to mount a clevis style hitch. is there another series that has a 3 speed/ verticle shaft?

thank you

VinsRJ

I may be wrong here but I beleive the general though process is that any tractor with a verticle shaft is not considered a garden tractor.

sorekiwi

I know very little about vert shaft tractors, but Joel posted pics of a Commando V8 with a clevis hitch:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=874

Rollerman

While WheelHorse did put out some sturdy tractors with vertical shaft engines, link Vince stated they are not really considered full on GT's

Some could even be had with a clevis hitch, tiller, & be used to plow snow, run a snow blower for "light" use.

The over all tractor & transaxle on the vert tractors just isn't heavy enough for the long term abuse the bigger GT brothers with the uni drive could soak up without a sweat.

rexman72

rollerman is correct when he says the vert tractors arent as heavy duty but let me tell you that my 400Xt series has plowed a 200 ft driveway for 9 years and mowed 1 acre with ease.But yes it doesnt have an eaton 1100 like my 417 A but does a great job.I know alot of guys dont like vert shaft but i have had a great experience with it.

While WheelHorse did put out some sturdy tractors with vertical shaft engines, link Vince stated they are not really considered full on GT's

Some could even be had with a clevis hitch, tiller, & be used to plow snow, run a snow blower for "light" use.

The over all tractor & transaxle on the vert tractors just isn't heavy enough for the long term abuse the bigger GT brothers with the uni drive could soak up without a sweat.

Rollerman

Actually the XI & XT series tractors are very capeable GT's

I was going after more of the vintage LT's that Wheel Horse produced....like the OP mentioned with the A series.

rexman72

But you were right when you said they dont take ground engaging attachments except for a tiller.yes the 419xt weighs about 700 pounds and has the hydro gear 330 and has taken care of the snow in the maine winters which is heavy and we get alot.

Actually the XI & XT series tractors are very capeable GT's

I was going after more of the vintage LT's that Wheel Horse produced....like the OP mentioned with the A series.

bean

great info,

I was curious because I have a 12-13 year old tractor that has fallen apart, except for the 15 hp kohler command. it probably has less than 500 hrs. it is pressure lube, electric start and runs great. I would love to put it in a wheel horse. I really like the appearance of the commando v8. are those 20" wheels?