Sign in to follow this  
Steve in Mo

Engine Paint

Steve in Mo

Want to paint my 6HP Tech black gloss I like the look. Question is will Rust Oleium take the heat?? If not what should I use to get the gloss look I want?

rmaynard

Go to your local auto parts store and look at high temperature engine paint. These paints are designed to take the heat, and they also have additives that help to transfer heat. Some regular paints will not transfer heat well. Duplicolor, VHT, and other have ceramic in the paint which helps with heat transfer.

Hydro

Any recommendations to touch up a Kohler? For some reason the starters seem to peel the paint off pretty well.

Thanks

rmaynard

Painting a Kohler engine is no different than painting anything else. Prep is key. If the starter is peeling, remove all the old paint, rough up the surface with 180 or 220 grit sandpaper, degrease with something like brake cleaner or auto paint prep, apply a coat of primer and paint. The starter does not get extremely hot, so you really don't need any special paint. Always follow the paint manufacturers recommendations for drying and re-coat times.

SousaKerry

Duplicolor's Ford Red engine enamel is a very close match to WH Red and it won't burn off. I paintet my tecy H60 on my 655 this spring ran it and mowed with it several times the paint still looks fresh even on the fins where oil has leaked

WH Raider10

I used duplicolor RAL 3003 and it looks great! :)

can whlvr

i think the paint gets hammered on a kohler starter,people hitting them when they are stuck,no ive ive never done that lol