Sign in to follow this  
StWeiler

Foam fill or RV anti freeze

StWeiler

In an effort to add some weight to the rear end I'd like to either foam fill or liquid fill the rear tires on the C120. I've been told that foam filling adds about 70 pounds per tire, have any of you done this? Any issues with it? I know that once done the rim is pretty much shot but that doesn't concern me so much.

Any input?

And to aid in the draw of this post....PICTURES

111011002.jpg

111011001.jpg

111011003.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

shootinok

Windshield washer fluid went into mine.

I used a small gear oil transfer pump and took out the valve stem core. Then used a short piece of vacuum hose which fit tightly over the pump tube and the valve stem. Worked Great!

Each wheel took about 6 gals - so figure if it weighs the same as water (8.3 lbs/ gal X 6 = 49.8lbs) I added just under 100lbs for under $20

non corrosive and cheap - :dunno:

StWeiler

My only issue with WW fluid is we often get temperatures below the freeze point of that fluid. It's pretty common to have the ww fluid be frozen solid. It would be a much cheaper alternative to RV anti freeze, but I fear the freezing of the windshield washer fluid would do damage to the tire as it bulges.

Rollerman

I used washer fluid one time, it leaked & created streaks in the lawn where it killed the grass.

I'm a big fan of poly fill or "foam filled" tires.

I have two sets done, an older set of the 22x7.50x12 Wheel Horse used to use & the rears on my Lawn Ranger.

The 22's weigh close to 70 pounds, the Ranger rears closer to 60 pounds.

This doesn't make the tires solid like a lot of people believe, in fact I can bounce them.

They still deflect or conform to the ground.

I've never got flat spots after sitting in cold weather.

You will NEVER get a flat tire, this is especially nice if you have any thorn trees or the like.

Your rims are not permanently bonded to the tires, the tires just have to be cut at the bead to remove them in the event the tread wears out & you need another set.

The only down side is the process isn't cheap & not to many places do it.

(Again the tires will never go flat, be subseptable to punctures or pancake & crack on the sidewalls from going flat)

Mostly tire shops that deal with large construction or agricultural tires.

StWeiler

Thanks for the insight Rollerman. We have a tire shop here that does them on Fridays only, and I was quoted $60/tire. To me that doesn't seem too bad considering my carlisles are brand new and will most likely outlast me, especially if I have them foam filled. I also have an extra set of ags that I'd consider having foam filled rather than the turfs...hmmm decisions.

I gotta admit if it takes near 6 gallons of fluid per tire to liquid fill 12 gallons @ $3,79/gallon = +/- $45 the price to liquid fill sure sounds more appealing, but the longevity of foam filling sure sounds great too.

Ya know what's funny though. The tire shop I'm speaking of actually talked me out of foam filling my Gravely commercial ZTR because they said it will put too much stress on the hydros. Some how I really doubt that a mere 60 pounds would have much ill affect, but on a machine that gets run 8-10 hours a day I guess he could have a valid point. I was getting tired of replacing tires all summer long on that thing. Went through 3 sets in one summer, but they were tough properties to maintain.

chevrat68

Use beet juice! Most dealers use this now. It will bio degrade if you get a leak, will not freeze until like -30 and its extremely heavy. I have my kubota 2710 rear tires filled and I don't counter weights when I use my loader bucket. I Highly recomend it and it will not eat your time like calcium used to.

Rollerman

We have a tire shop here that does them on Fridays only, and I was quoted $60/tire.

Thats a great price for poly/foam fill, cheaper than I payed :wh:

It will bio degrade if you get a leak, will not freeze until like -30

Polly/foam fill will not leak or freeze :dunno:

speedyleedy

would'nt wheel weights be alot less messier & easier :dunno:

Rollerman

would'nt wheel weights be alot less messier & easier :dunno:

Yes & no....wheel weights are great, I have them on most of my Horses.

Not all of mine are the Wheel Horse or "ring" type weights so you have to remove the weight if you for some reason you'd need to pull the tire & fingers do get pinched, rims & weights can get stuck.

They can also set off the tire/wheel some, hang up on things the tire & wheel normally wouldn't.

Tires still go flat with wheelweights too.

Don't get me wrong, I like wheel weights.

As far as filling tires for ballast though...I'm sold on poly filling.

can whlvr

if i could afford it all my tractors would be foam filled,we used it consruction on our forklifts and skidsteers,like rollerman said no flat tires ever

carlsbarn2

I put soft foam in mine & gained 80 lbs per tire. ( 23x10.50x12 Tru Power ) Arnco makes 3 grades of foam.Get the soft.