Sign in to follow this  
bean

rj trans help!

bean

hello,

grandkids informed me that the shifter handle was loose. I went out and looked at it, but it was getting dark. it will still shift, but the shifter rod will rotate . it feels like it would do a 360, but we obviously didn't try that. if you hold it steady, it will shift fine. i looked at the exploded view, and it looks like there is a pin through the rod that keeps it straight(?)

any help would be appreciated.

:dunno:

TT

Yes - there is a roll pin that passes most of the way through the pivot ball and shifter - with the exception of a small amount at the front of the pivot ball. (so the dog point set screw that holds the shifter in the tranz has a place to seat)

I prefer to line the ball up on the shifter with a suitable device (roll pin, nail, drill bit, etc) and weld them together from the underside. :dunno:

bean

Terry,

thank you. i will look at it in the morning. i'm having visions of the trans in 200 pcs on my work bench in the middle of january. :dunno:

bean

Terry,

I went and looked at the rj file and I see what you were refering to. what exactly happens to cause the problem i described?

does the pin shear off, or does it fall out?

can it be repaired by backing out the screw, removing the shaft, replacing the pin and reassembling?

VinsRJ

Terry,

I went and looked at the rj file and I see what you were refering to. what exactly happens to cause the problem i described?

does the pin shear off, or does it fall out?

can it be repaired by backing out the screw, removing the shaft, replacing the pin and reassembling?

The pin can shear off and or the set screw tip can shear off.... either one can cause the shifter handkle to spin. lift the shifter boot, unscrew the set screw and pull the shifter arm straight out. Terry's suggestion of welding the pivit ball on is a good solution.

bean

lf the set screw sheared off, do you recommend draining the trans oil?

MikesRJ

I wouldn't recommend leaving a chunk of metal floating around in there. The gear oil is pretty thick, and the likelihood of the metal getting into the gear train very high. I would buy a gasket set and crack the trans. You can try to drain the oil but I imagine it won't come out unless you flush with kerosine.

TT

The first thing I'd do before thinking about draining oil and/or opening up the tranz is loosen the jam nut and remove the set screw so you can see exactly what the problem is.

I've seen more sheared roll pins than set screws - especially on the early models - and I have always found all three pieces still stuck in the shifter / pivot ball.

I know there's at least one exception to every rule, but I hope that's what you find on yours and you can repair it with nothing more than a new roll pin or a zap with a welder. :dunno:

bean

Terry and Mike,

I went and bought a new roll pin and the shifter is back in and working perfectly. luckily, it was only the roll pin and all the pieces came out with the shifter :wh:

can't thank you guys enough. the grandkids thank you too.

MikesRJ

You're welcome, glad it all worked out for the best.

Kelly

You're welcome, glad it all worked out for the best.

bean

kelly,

certainly didn't want to leave you out. :wh:

much appreciated :dunno:

Kelly

Don't worry about me, I did nothing same as Mike.

MikesRJ

When people say "thank you", even when nothing helpful was done, it is polite to say "you're welcome". Perhaps his thanks were for nothing more than our direction and encouragement, but unlike you I try to be polite. You should try it sometime.

Don't worry about me, I did nothing same as Mike.

bean

the help was much appreciated. I am not familiar with the rj's transmission, and didn't know where to begin. I felt a lot better about tackling the problem after you took a look at the pics and determined it was only the roll pin.

so, once again, :dunno: