faster

654 restoration

faster

Heres a few pictures of my 654 thats looking more like a 704 ( 6 1/2 hp kohler )restoration with no hood. If you have and old hood let me know I`ll buy it.

How I found it.

DSCF6474.jpg

DSCF6473.jpg

DSCF6470.jpg

DSCF6485.jpg

Now with some primer new axle seals and some tractor supply paint.

DSCF6502.jpg

DSCF6504.jpg

DSCF6508.jpg

DSCF6510.jpg

DSCF6519.jpg

DSCF6518.jpg

DSCF6515.jpg

DSCF6513.jpg

DSCF6516.jpg

DSCF6529.jpg

DSCF6528.jpg

DSCF6533.jpg

DSCF6538.jpg

DSCF6539.jpg

DSCF6540-1.jpg

Still need a hood if you have one let me know .

• Like 1

rmaynard

Great job on the Wheel Horse, but I love the VW Kombi. What year is it? Probably older than the 654. My dad had a '62.

And, you've got to be single. My wife won't let me have a horse in the house, much less use it for a coffee table. biggrin-1.gif

faster

Its a 65 and runs like a top. I think the two are made for each other. Its in the basement man cave.

HorseFixer

Yer my Hero! :help: Workin on the Tractor in the Front Room. :dunno: Nice Job Yer Doing. :wh:

Coadster32

Looks great indeed. You're doing fine work there. :dunno:

Kelly

Very nice job, looks like you started with a pretty clean machine, I have a hood but it needs work, they are getting very hard to find in good shspe and the prices are going skyhigh.

AMC RULES

Finished to that level, I expect that lil' guy is gonna stay in the house from now on.:dunno:

massey

looks great so far, nice attention to detail. :dunno:

chazm

Nice Tractor & VW to boot :dunno:

Chas :wh:

VinsRJ

Very nice! :dunno:

Zeek

Boy, you're the second cleanest person I know besides me :dunno:

faster

Thanks for all the great comments it will push me to finish it. Well the 654 got it first battle scar and never left the basement last night. I believe this was my own fail I didnt have the grip or the rubber nipple on the handle and I guess the locking shoe dropped to low and made contact. I`m sure there will be others before it over.

DSCF6541.jpg

faster

A little update on the 654. To night I set the brakes got the steering in mounted the fenders and gas tank (not sure if I keep the foam under the clamp) but all and all it`s looking good. One thing that I have been trying to do is use as many of the orginal bolts as I can but without paint most have cleaned up like new must of had a good plating on them to start with. The seat after removing the cushion and the bolts holding it together took a lot of welding just to call it a seat again but I think it will be fine. So heres some pictures (some are alittle bright but you get the idea) and I still need a hood.

DSCF6543.jpg

DSCF6542.jpg

DSCF6544.jpg

DSCF6545.jpg

DSCF6546.jpg

DSCF6547.jpg

DSCF6550.jpg

DSCF6548.jpg

DSCF6552.jpg

DSCF6554.jpg

Some of the paint runs that I work on later.

DSCF6553.jpg

whfan74

It is really turning out nice. :wh: Keep up the great work and see it through to the finish. This is going to be one sharp 654!!!!! :dunno:

faster

It is really turning out nice. :wh: Keep up the great work and see it through to the finish. This is going to be one sharp 654!!!!! :dunno:

Thanks. I just wished the wheels would fit in my blast cabinet not sure how I`m going to clean them yet. :help:

COMMANDO6

Very nice.

That's terrible about the battle scar. That'll be the one thing that bugs you forever.

And I like the Coke cooler :dunno:

faster

Got alittle more work done today made a spacer to lift up the seat from the fenders don`t need anymore scatches. Took the deck apart in really good sharp shouldn`t take much to finish it some sanding primer and paint . But did find one problem with the belt guard with the kohler k161 the front bolt has no where to go. I guess the tecumseh engine bolt pattern layout wasn`t the same as a kohler so I may have to trade this engine for a tecumseh or find one. One thing for sure I don`t want to cut and weld a good guard it`s just to straight. Heres a few more pictures.

PS. thanks for the search here on redsquare I would be lost without it.

The seat lift.

DSCF6557.jpg

DSCF6556.jpg

DSCF6558.jpg

DSCF6563.jpg

Heres the deck

DSCF6565.jpg

DSCF6568.jpg

DSCF6567.jpg

And the big problem with the guard

DSCF6561.jpg

DSCF6560.jpg

KC9KAS

Thanks. I just wished the wheels would fit in my blast cabinet not sure how I`m going to clean them yet.

Try cleaning them up in an E-tank.

TT

This might give you an idea for the belt guard:

viewtopic.php?p=66806#p66806

sorekiwi

My last Tecumseh guard to Kohler adapter wasnt as overengineered as my first one:

IMG_3542_mod.jpg

Just a bit of 1" flat bar with a 1/4" stud welded to it that bolts to the hole in the Kohler engine that is at about 7 Oclock. Hope you can see what I've done in the pic.

faster

Thanks for all the pictures of adapters. That looks like the way to go and without screwing up the guard. As far as blasting the wheels the front will fit in my blaster with the tires on and if I remove the tires from the back they to will fit also. I was hoping to leave the tires on for fear the a tire machine could damage them they are old but still in great shape. Thanks again for all the help. Rob

Scrumpy

Faster,

I know you are worried about damaging the tires taking them off and I have no advice for that but when you put them back on to avoid scratching the paint on the rims you can do the following. Prime the rims and also paint the inside of the rim the color you want. Mount the tires but don't inflate. Then take some cardboard and cut a circle smaller than the rim and insert them between the tire bead and the rim making sure they are big enough to cover the complete tire to avoid over spray getting on them. Then do the final paint on the rims and when you are done and they are dry just lube the beads and inflate. No scratches in your new paint trying to mount them afterwards.

-Scrump

faster

Faster,

I know you are worried about damaging the tires taking them off and I have no advice for that but when you put them back on to avoid scratching the paint on the rims you can do the following. Prime the rims and also paint the inside of the rim the color you want. Mount the tires but don't inflate. Then take some cardboard and cut a circle smaller than the rim and insert them between the tire bead and the rim making sure they are big enough to cover the complete tire to avoid over spray getting on them. Then do the final paint on the rims and when you are done and they are dry just lube the beads and inflate. No scratches in your new paint trying to mount them afterwards.

-Scrump

Thanks Scrumpy sounds like a great idea I`ll do just that. I just got back from having the back taken off $5.00 each not bad and they still look good. The front I removed myself so now I can start on the rims. I also traded rydogg for a good tecumseh engine that has everything I need so everything is moving right along. Thanks again

Scrumpy

Sounds like you are on track. It is going to look real nice when you are done. Is the Techy an HH60? I have been watching this because I have a 656 that I will be doing the same to, more of a refurbish than a restore though. Been fixing the mechanical items and what not on it in the meantime. Currently it has the wrong seat and air cleaner but it runs nice and drives well. I have a mower deck and a plow so it will be a good little worker to go with my C160

-Scrump

faster

Sounds like you are on track. It is going to look real nice when you are done. Is the Techy an HH60? I have been watching this because I have a 656 that I will be doing the same to, more of a refurbish than a restore though. Been fixing the mechanical items and what not on it in the meantime. Currently it has the wrong seat and air cleaner but it runs nice and drives well. I have a mower deck and a plow so it will be a good little worker to go with my C160

-Scrump

Scrumpy, Its a H60 not the cast iron engine its off a 65 ranger with electric start I believe its the same as the 654. Its funny when you say you have the wrong air cleaner and seat I`m missing some sheet metal bolts 1/4" but with a 7/16" head and can`t find them anywhere I guess they where made for wheel horse only LOL. The nice thing about restoring a WH its really not that expensive its fun but I do still have along way to go.

PS. post some pictures of your 656