Sign in to follow this  
Road-Track

C145 not charging

Road-Track

I picked this 83 WH Black hood up a few months ago and have been working through the small problems. I suspected the charging circuit wasn't working since I have never seen the amp gauge in the plus. After I retrofit some JD headlights the needle would go negative. I disconnected the stator plug and I have no AC with engine at full throttle. I have continuity across the stator and no continuity to ground. This leads me to believe the 15 amp stator is OK (not open or shorted). Ah the magnets...I read in one of the older posts about a problem with magnets and a quick fix. Before I remove the flywheels. Can anyone give me a short course on this? :dunno:

TT

Short course on what - removing the flywheel or reattaching the magnets?

Road-Track

Anything to watch out for removing the flywheel? What would be wrong with the magnets? How are they attached to the fly wheel?

:dunno: Up in Vermont

TT

Use a puller to remove the flywheel. Never hit a flywheel because it can crack - which can cause it to explode.

The magnets are glued to the inside of the flywheel. Moisture between the magnets and the flywheel will cause rust - which will break the bond and cause the magnets to loosen. If the magnets do come loose, they will normally stick to the stator and the flywheel will just spin around the stuck magnets.

Previous post about magnet reattachment:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25746

Road-Track

Thanks Terry :wh: That was what I was looking for. I couldn't find the old post. I will take a look tomorrow after I grab my puller down at the Farm.

:dunno:

Up in Vermont

Road-Track

Pulled the flywheel and the magnets were OK. I cleaned out the chafe and rechecked the stator continuity again. Still reading good. I decide to put it back together and got 38 VAC at full throttle (might need to check it with a tach, over 3600 rpm?). I wired the voltage regulator per print and now i get +4-5 amps and +2 amps with the lights on while running. :wh:

Thanks for the help!

TT

That certainly makes things much easier!

tunahead72

... at full throttle (might need to check it with a tach, over 3600 rpm?) ...

I would make sure to check that when you get a chance, just to be safe.

The "maximum operating RPM" specified in the Kohler service manual for the K321 engine is 3600 RPM.

The information I've seen in Wheel Horse manuals says they should be set at 3400 max. RPM, with no load.

can whlvr

i once posted to a question that kohlers can run at 3600 which i thought i read somewhere but was corrected quickly that the manual states 3400 which it does for all of the motors except the 8 hp which is 3500 no load,wish i could find the other manual that says 3600