Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Its been a long wait!

Ken B

I've wanted one of these tractors for at least 20 yrs. now. I spotted this on Craigslist the next town over from me. The asking price was more than I wanted to pay but with some very creative bundling on my part I scored it for one of my Simplicity tractors and a few attachments that I had about 400 bucks into. I hated parted ways with my Simplicity 7016 but this was my chance.

I haven't yet dated it but I think its a very early 60's Economy. I'm guessing its a 9 hp Briggs, it runs awesome. No two speed rear in it but this tractor is more powerful than anything I've ever owned. This one moves right out to! I think I'm going to do a nice repaint on this tractor.

Tomm. I'm off to Napa to see if they can get me some snow chains for the 16 inch tires.

Photo11111617.jpg

Photo11111617_2.jpg

fireman

Nice score Ken! I saw that one too. Your really gonna like it.

wallfish

That's nice. Can't wait to see it at one of the shows next year.

P.S. I thought the Simplicity was your son's tractor?????????

stevebo

Ken,

I have mine set up to plow this year. I am sure you will have it cleaned up nicely. I believe the color code most use is chevy orange :wh: You might want to reach out to Mark C (who bought your little red speed boat) as I know he has a few sets of new (or newer) heavy duty chains that he is looking to sell. Let me know if you need his contact info.. Good luck with that one ! I am fine with you going off brand for that one :dunno:

stevebo

One more thing... check the rear end and bull gear housing for water. They tend to get water in the rear. Before I bought mine I went 2 hours in the dead of winter on a Friday afternoon to Springfield MA to buy a 69 and the guy told me what I wanted to hear over the phone however when I got there it would not move out of his shed (but ran) due to ice in the rear gears :dunno:

Ken B

That's nice. Can't wait to see it at one of the shows next year.

P.S. I thought the Simplicity was your son's tractor?????????

You mean this one? It is Coles and it is the leaf clean up tractor. I got rid of another Simplicity.

Photo10141718_1.jpg

Sparky

Nice rugged lookin machine Ken. Are those military issue tires on the rear?

Mike.........

Ken B

I'm not sure if they are military issue or not, I do know they are the original tires to the machine. I will have to get some pictures of this tractor next to a normal sized garden tractor. The difference in size is pretty substancial.

VinsRJ

Very nice score Ken..... can never go wrong with a Economy. :dunno:

grnlark

Great machine Ken. I really liked mine, but just too big for my uses - which is normally nothing more than walking in the garage and looking at it :dunno:

The guy that bought mine took the entire thing apart and completely restored it. It looked sweet all done. I bet yours will look better :wh:

fireman

Alright, it's been six days since you posted this. I just know that it must be half way apart and and the restoration beginning!

:dunno::wh: :help:

truckin88

Awesome!

Ken B

I have begun tearing into it, There were about a dozen holes in the hood for some reason or other. I welded them all shut, ground and filled them. I'm painting the hood today. I'm not too sure how far I want to go sprucing it up.

squonk

If you haven't found any chains yet, I have some chains that should fit the 16 " wheels. I bought a set for my 2414 and there was another small set attached with chain connectors. They are like 56" long. You would just need 2 more connectors for the ends. I put the ends together and I estimated they would go on a 18 "wheel. 3.14x 18"=56.5". I like $50 plus shipping. I think I can get them in one flat rate box. Here are some pics of the chains on my tractor and the ones i have left.

DSCF1068.jpg

DSCF1070-1.jpg