Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Where to add weight

71_Bronco

I am currently restoring my Bronco 14 to be my worker. It's biggest job will be mowing, but I also have a mid-mount grader blade (that attaches to the rear axle) and I will be pulling a small trailer for yard clean-up.

We use to have a home-gym in our basement, but the cables wore out and snapped, and we trashed it since we didn't use it anymore. My dad kept the weight stack, similar to the one pictured below. Each weigh is the same size (roughly 12" x 6") and have 3 equally spaced holes in them.

I was thinking about making some kind of bracket for these weights, but I do not know where I should put them, on the front, back, sides etc. I'd like to only do 1 bracket if possible, but might be wise to do 2 for different situations.

I know the tractor itself is no lightweight (manual says 690 lbs shipping weight, plus my 140 pounds), and I am not even sure I would need the weights for what I am using it for.

So what do you guys think? Need the weights or no? And if so, where should I put them?

Thanks

weight_stack.jpg

WheelHorseSteve

I find with grading (with that exact grader blade) that some weight in the rear helps... otherwise the tractor can get a little light in the britches going uphill (the material you are moving uphill will cause the rear end to lose traction). This definitely seems like a nice way to use those old weights... wheel weights are preferable but "suitcase" weights (sort of like these) are another traditional way to add ballast to a tractor.

Hydro

I was looking at different heavy duty hitches which would allow me to pull my boat around the yard. It has about 250lb. tongue weight. I also wanted to add weight to the rear of the tractor. I looked at something "Coles Dad" came up with and re-made that to suit my purpose which might well suit your purpose. I used two pieces of 1/4" angle 12 inches long and bolted them across the top of the axle to an implement bracket underneath. The bracket I am referring to is used for plows, grader blades and the tiller.

Then I joined the angle with a piece of 4" x 1/4" flat bar. Weld it or bolt it to the underside of the angle. It will be about 14" or so in length, then lay your weights in between the angle on the flatbar. Drill holes and bolt through your weight holes. If you want, weld a receiver for a trailer hitch on the underside of the flat bar.

Stigian

I like your thinking, that's a great use for gym equipment weights :dunno:

Have you thought about filling the tires with a water and screen wash (stops the water freezing) mix? Best done with tubes in the tires though.

I fill the rears on my 312-8 a few years ago (the water must stink my now :wh: ) and the amount of extra traction it created made the job more than worth doing.

sorekiwi

Kinda like this?

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

Hydro

How much weight you got on there? :dunno:

sorekiwi

How much weight you got on there? :dunno:

Those weights are the plastic ones filled with concrete. They vary a bit, the heaviest one I have is about 16lbs and the ligftest is 9lbs. So to take an average, there is probably 80 lbs or so on the back, plus 30 lbs on each wheel.

can whlvr

bet she will push a mountain now

sorekiwi

bet she will push a mountain now

I'll probably find out later this week when the snow is due to arrive. I've never used the 520 in snow before, we'll see if she can keep up with the 1276 I used last year!

sorekiwi

Just an update to this thread as I finally got to try out the 520 with the blower today.

The verdict was too much rear weight, the thing wouldnt steer worth a damn. I took off 4 of the weights (around 50 lbs) and it was much better. Steered a lot better and never got stuck.

Guess I really need to save some penny's for some tri-ribs.

Sparky

Just an update to this thread as I finally got to try out the 520 with the blower today.

Its a strange winter Mike. It took you almost three months after your Nov-28th post to try out your 520. I cant remember a winter void of snow as much as this one.

Just an observation.

Mike...........