Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

Home emergency transfer switch.

Forest Road

Jeff

I feel for you. You contacted your local utility looking for an answer. The problem is that its none of their dam business. Their authority ends at your meter. That being said anything that you do which adversely affects the outside plant is your problem. And that's where a properly installed transfer switch OR interlock device comes into play. Both are NEC approved! I have an interlock kit installed at the family getaway. I've also installed several multi-circuit transfer switches for customers. I prefer the interlock kits hands down.

For actual PERMISSION in your area contact your local municipality and ask to speak to the electrical inspector. Many towns upstate do not require electrical inspections. Call a few different electricians in your area as well.

Good luck

Kevin

IthacaJeff

Good stuff, Kevin, thanks.

Jeff

truckin88

Jeff

I feel for you. You contacted your local utility looking for an answer. The problem is that its none of their dam business. Their authority ends at your meter. That being said anything that you do which adversely affects the outside plant is your problem. And that's where a properly installed transfer switch OR interlock device comes into play. Both are NEC approved! I have an interlock kit installed at the family getaway. I've also installed several multi-circuit transfer switches for customers. I prefer the interlock kits hands down.

For actual PERMISSION in your area contact your local municipality and ask to speak to the electrical inspector. Many towns upstate do not require electrical inspections. Call a few different electricians in your area as well.

Good luck

Kevin

I have an interlock at my house, and am a big supporter of it for the right conditions. That being said, generators are the utilities issue, because if you backfeed the lines you can kill a lineman especially once the power hits the transformer and amplifies. That being said, as long as it meets NEC, the utility can pound salt. The only issue with the interlock is if your main is mechanically functioning correctly. In other words, when you switch it off (or to open) that the breaker is really open. I was at my buddys when he had a gene running, and basically the same setup w/o the interlock metal, but the main off and a 30 amp breaker on, backfeeding the panel. When the power came back the gene let out a horrible squeel, we got to it right away. We confirmed the main was open, but it wasn't really.....thats is what the utilities worry about. You are suppose to exercise the main once a year or so.

Here is the link of my interlock install

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22792&hilit=interlock+kit