Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

under deck paint

can whlvr

so over the years ive tried a few things on the belly of the deck,even epoxy,nothing seems to last,ive read here many times of pore paint,can anyone tell me how it has lasted,i know its pricey but if it lasts its got to be worth it,and i think its made up here so shipping wont be too bad

zieg72

so over the years ive tried a few things on the belly of the deck,even epoxy,nothing seems to last,ive read here many times of pore paint,can anyone tell me how it has lasted,i know its pricey but if it lasts its got to be worth it,and i think its made up here so shipping wont be too bad

2K epoxy is your best abrasion resistant coating hardness wise. Por15 is a moisture cure polyurethane, also should hold up well.

can whlvr

thanks for the reply,i used a 2 part epoxy before,its called system three,i bought it to do boat repairs,they claim it is also used in the nuclear industry,its supposed to be that good,it didnt last more than one season,maybe its not meant for that type of job,i will look up 2k

zieg72

thanks for the reply,i used a 2 part epoxy before,its called system three,i bought it to do boat repairs,they claim it is also used in the nuclear industry,its supposed to be that good,it didnt last more than one season,maybe its not meant for that type of job,i will look up 2k

2K just refers to 2 part epoxy. I have used a 100% solids epoxy on the deck of my 269H but sold the tractor before I had a chance to see how well it held up. Next one I do will be with this as well. I know I have it on the top of my 48" deck and it is holding up great. It goes on thick, it self levels, dries hard like a powder paint and has a high gloss.

Lane Ranger

I have used this on about four decks and it has held up very well.

POR-15

I buy it in the four oz cans which will coat one deck underneath at least two times.

I like the way it works and weems to last very well. No rust after three years.

http://www.advanced-rust-protection.com ... Code=POR15

15 is a paint-like substance which acts as a total rust inhibitor and is also very effective as a metal filler.

POR-15 Info

POR-15 FAQ

Using POR-15 on Concrete and Other Applications

It's consistency is approximately that of paint and it has very good spreadability (one quart covers 96 square feet). POR-15 ® chemically bonds to rusted steel to form a rock-hard, non-porous coating that won't crack chip, or peel. It works by isolating metal from moisture. Without moisture present, steel can't rust.

Thin, covering coats are best; POR-15 ® will accept all paints, including lacquer-based paints. Silver contains metal filler and should be used in badly rusted, pitted areas. It will fill in holes better than Black, Clear. or Grey.

POR-15® works great as a concrete sealer and is impervious to fuels, battery acid, oils, etc., and when applied to concrete floors in shops or factories permits quick and easy clean up.

4 oz.covers @ 12 sq. ft.

Pint covers @ 50 sq. ft.

can whlvr

thanks lane,and zeig,its a tough thing to keep a product under the mower decks,i have some sandy areas that blast her real good,ive been using four different decks to spred the wear on decks and tractors,ive allways said cutting the grass is the hardest thing on the wheelhorse because of the dust

Lane Ranger

I would say two good coats of the Por 15 with about three days bewteen coast (and maybe three) would make your decks last a whole lot longer and the coting should last a longer time than anything else you can use.

Lane

Red Cow

2K just refers to 2 part epoxy. I have used a 100% solids epoxy on the deck of my 269H but sold the tractor before I had a chance to see how well it held up. Next one I do will be with this as well. I know I have it on the top of my 48" deck and it is holding up great. It goes on thick, it self levels, dries hard like a powder paint and has a high gloss.

Heh Zieg 72. I haven't been on RS for so long I had to resubscribe with a new with a new handle (my old CB handle). I had to respond when iI saw you'll picture with the tiller. It sure looks familiar! The snowblower still works great.

Your friend from Wis., Merle Loomer

PS. Do you know where I can get a rear axel attachment bracket?

powerhawk56

Has anyone tried truck bed liner? The epoxy paint I've seen in power plants is normally put on around a 1/4" thick and only on floors.

specialwheelhorse

I hear there is a marine grade of rino-liner or similar

Smooth not rough. I've been temp ted. Get Back ! !

Jim In Texas

smoreau

We just need Buckrancher to start mass producing stainless decks and this issue would go away! I know I'm dreaming here, but this topic has been on my mind for a few weeks as spring is around the corner.

AMC RULES

http://www.eastwood....c_engine_paints

I can attest this nano technology, ceramic stuff is bulletproof...that's for sure. I did an intake with this stuff a couple years ago, that I recently tried to sandblast back to natural finish. Next to impossible to get it all off. Tough as nails, so I think I'll be using the leftovers on the underside of my 48" deck this year. :thumbs:

546cowboy

I like that Eastwood idea and just ordered a quart of the red. If it comes close to matching it may get used for something other than just the bottom of the deck. I may have to try some of that rust encapsulater they have too. I have an aerator/roller that it might work nice on. Thanks for that link Craig.

I have tried some of the bedliner stuff before on footrests with results that left me with mixed results. I believe that was because of my prep work not being as good as it should have been. I think if you use bedliner you need to really rough up the metal to get it to stick really well. It does work well on a yard trailer bed though and it can be painted RED!

• Like 1

pfrederi

I like that Eastwood idea and just ordered a quart of the red. If it comes close to matching it may get used for something other than just the bottom of the deck. I may have to try some of that rust encapsulater they have too. I have an aerator/roller that it might work nice on. Thanks for that link Craig.

I have tried some of the bedliner stuff before on footrests with results that left me with mixed results. I believe that was because of my prep work not being as good as it should have been. I think if you use bedliner you need to really rough up the metal to get it to stick really well. It does work well on a yard trailer bed though and it can be painted RED!

I have used he rust encapsulator on several decks. Prep varied from wire brush and spot paint to sand blasted and complete painting. It is better than rustoleum but far from perfect. Considering it is supposed to work over rust it seems to require annual touch ups.

546cowboy

I wasn't considering using the rust encapsulater on the decks. I may try some of that on the frame of my truck though and that aerator and then paint over it.

can whlvr

so how much for this quart cowboy,and do you guys spray or brush,id brush on a deck bottom,but just curious

Duff

Call me cheap, or....well....just call me cheap! I wire brush the underside of all three of my decks in the spring then liberally brush on new bar and chain oil. I let it sit for a few days before the first mowing, then wash the underside of the deck with a garden hose after each mowing (with the deck on the tractor and the blades spinning to create more turbulence). I've found I only need to repeat this "treatment" a couple times during the season and then before I put them up for the fall. Cheap, effective and really not that time consuming! :twocents-02cents:

Download06-01-10010.jpg

Download06-01-10017.jpg

Duff :thumbs:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos: Looks like you've mastered the proceedure Duff. :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

I'd never thought of oiling my deck before Duff. :confusion-scratchheadblue: I bet it sure helps with rust. Does it make the grass come off easier? :thanks:

546cowboy

Well it was $50 for the paint and activator and it says you can thin it and spray it or use a brush. It usually costs me about $23 a quart for the paint I use and then about $20 for a large can of hardener so it doesn't seem to be out of line as far as cost. Like I said if the color matches pretty close I may have other uses for it. By th way FREE shipping on that paint.

Hydro

Don I checked out the POR 15 here and there is one distributor in Grimsby. I think I would like to try that stuff for the underside of my decks.

Duff I save my used engine oil and brush my decks with it. I usually power wash the deck and then let it dry and coat it generously with oil a couple of times during the season.

varosd

the oil on the underside of the deck is a smart idea!

can whlvr

how did you find that out gary,i would like to try it out,im not anal enough to clean the deck every time i use it,lots of times i cut the lawn at night,when i have time,so washing the deck at 11.oo oclock probally not gonna happen

JackC

I have a friend who uses 2 cycle oil to coat the underside of his decks after each season and after a thorough cleaning.

He says the 2 cycle oil really sticks and penetrates any rust.

Moisture held by wet or damp grass is the food for rust thrives on.

I would say the annual cleaning and oiling should be the minimum maintenance that should be done.

Having a way to easily raise the front of the tractor would make it easier to clean the deck more frequently compared to removing the deck.

I wonder if someone could come up with a molded to shape, thin aluminum liner that could be bolted to the underside of the deck with existing fasteners on the deck?

bowtiebutler956

That would be nice, as I am getting tired of cleaning under my deck all the time.

Matt