wheel horse generator

perry

i have never seen one of these before.

its selling on ebay 30 miles north of me. click on link

WH generator

6c12_1.JPG

9bb7_1.JPG

T-Mo

Now that would be a nice attachment to have around my house. I bet I can justified that to the wife. :D

nylyon

That's what Mike was talking about when he had to disconnect the seat switch. I would love to have one of those, no idea what I would use it for, but sure would want one.

T-Mo

That's what Mike was talking about when he had to disconnect the seat switch. I would love to have one of those, no idea what I would use it for, but sure would want one.

I could use it, let me tell you. Though I'm not sure if it would be fuel efficient. Our electric is constantly going off, i.e. once or twice a month or more. It's always the same grid, the same homes, that loose power. A generator would come in handy for power outrages, but I'm not sure if it would be fuel efficient, nor if it would be practical. I probably need one that would automatically turn on and also switch over to it when the power is lost.

But, still, it would be nice to have.

CasualObserver

they show up on ebay every few months... the regularly bring between $350-500 depending on condition and wattage (there are 3KW and 5KW).

Curmudgeon

Efficient they are not. A medium to large sized Horse running full tilt on a generator will consume about a gallon an hour. That may not sound like much until you try to run it all day. I run mine a couple hours on, a few more off. That keeps the house warm, and the fridge cold.

Remember also, it's a PORTABLE source of 220, that makes your welder portable too. I just put the welder in the trailer and go.

Dale

nylyon

Remember also, it's a PORTABLE source of 220, that makes your welder portable too. I just put the welder in the trailer and go.

Same would hold true for a beer cooler too.... Would extend the fishing trip putting a fridge in the trailer!

Sparky

If your gonna need 220 dont buy the 3000 watt unit. Its only 120 volts. Wheel Horse also made a larger one at 5000 watts and it would have 220. Mine is a 4000 watt unit with 220 output and is made by Generac not Wheel Horse.

Mike........

Curmudgeon

Uh, yeah Mike, didn't realize the smaller one didn't have 220. But then, some little welders only draw 110....

Mine isn't a Wheel Horse model either, got it from Northern Tool, 10,000 watt. Don't mess around, go big!

Dale

WheelHorse_of_course

I have seen 2 or 3 of these on ebay. Apparently they were also made for some other brands of tractors.

Rule of thumb is 2 HP per kilowatt. (real kilwatt, not "peak output"

3000 W = 6-7 HP

5000 W = 10-12 HP

Efficiency will be best if the two are matched. With the clutch disengaged the efficiency should be no worse than any other comparable generator using the same engine.

An, yes, this I lust after, but since you all do too, I have given up finding one at a price I can afford. On my long term list is to build one!

BTW, having to refill the tank periodically is a good thing unless your engine has a low oil shut off. C|heck the oil frequently s this is the most common cause of death in generators.

cheers