Sign in to follow this  
JSPC160

C160 hydro stopped moving? Help plz

JSPC160

Hi guys,

Today I am tilling in the garden and everything was going great and the all of a sudden I could not move forward or lift the tiller. 73 c-160 hydro. It is stuck in the garden. The engine runs great. The drive belt is in place. Any tips on getting her moving will be appreciated.

Edit: trans fluid is right in the middle between L and F.

Thank you,

Rollerman

Double check to see that your driven pulley on the transaxle itself is still secure to the shaft.

Since you mentioned your lift quit too, it doesn't sound like a free wheeling rear hub.

Is the belt tight?, have you pulled the belt guard to see if the idler pulley & tensioner spring are still dooing what they need to do?

You might also double check the tow valve to make sure it hasn't been turned out putting the tractor in "tow" mode......should be up under the left footrest fender as you sit on the tractor.

JSPC160

Open and closed the tow valve. It looks secure. I am going to figure out how to pull the belt cover. From under the tractor the belt seems tight but I'll check. She never spent the night outside before. I live in the city too.. Scrappers will drive by her every 15 minutes...

Rollerman

With the tow valve open you should be able to roll it inside....it won't be easy, but should move.

squonk

Since everything was fine and it stopped with no warning My guess is either the belt broke or the pump pulley key sheared key sheared. If it was an internal hydro problem, I think there would have been some warning or at least a noisy hydro.

JSPC160

Drive belt looks good. Started it and the front and back pulleys are spinning from the engine to the trans. I noticed if I disengage the hydro/park at full throttle and re-engage it in nutral I will be able to get very little lift on the tiller. Actually no lift on the tiller but the lift gage will move 2+ and 2- numbers but that will stop if I push forward or back on the drive.

I sure hope she will not be a yard ordainment.

Edit: hydro only ever whined when I have low throttle and in the fast position. It would go "whinnnnnne".

Rollerman

You say the back pulley at the pump is spinning, but is the woodruff key inside that keeps it fixed to the shaft sheared?

can whlvr

i dont want to be negative but my c160 auto quit a few years ago with no warning,no noises,nothing but the engine running,it was a few things inside,mainly the retainer ring,had to get her rebuilt,i started it myself but it proved to be too much for me,and im pretty mecanically inclined,it cost me 350 cash but worth every dime to me to know it will be good for many years,i use her mainly for snow blowing so it doesnt get alot of hours so she might last me forever

squonk

The Hydro in my 160 quit this past spring. Started to whine and operating erratic. Had to replace the Hydro motor. Got one off of flea-bay.

JSPC160

Tonight after work, I will get a huge workout pushing her back in the garage.

I am lost right now with it.

Original 174 hours. Attached is a picture of her resting.

2bd7a827.jpg

JSPC160

I am progressing. Not sure how to pull the pulleys on the engine to check if a key sheared. I want to get to the bottom of this.

4fd9a63a.jpg

fab8d512.jpg

JSPC160

This one did not slip. :dunno: I just started her Before taking off the rear pulley. Nothing seems to slip from the engine to the hydro pump. The tractor seems to roll in "n" after tightening the tow screw release. Any tips on what to check now? Should I pull the front pulleys? I can turn the engine over by pulling on the drive belt I do not think there is a problem up there.

bcf8b2e6.jpg

JSPC160

I have to admit two things. I cannot believe that my hydro pump failed.. Really the tractor only has 174 hours on it and I put 14 of those hours on her. I really think that this should be a simple fix. Like most things. So that is the first thing. Second.. I am terrified although I love fixing everything, of tearing apart the hydro pump. I do not and mean I do not want to ever get rid of the c160. I have sifted throughy budget and read everything on these pumps and I do not want to admit the it needs a rebuild at all. I will pay someone to fix her. I live in Chicago and I have no clue to whom I would have work on this. Any recommendations of someone or a shop would help me greatly. Thank you for all the replies but I checked everything and I have not a clue to move forward.

squonk

I see those pumps and hydro motors on E bay all the time.

dennist

My boy has a 160 and we had trouble with it also, but after we did all the smaller items as you are doing, we bought a used pump and motor from a member on RS and it was a quick easy fix. We have used it problem free since. I paid only 75.00 and 52.00 for shipping, and I know that was a great price, but I would have paid 200.-250. to get it back running. I too believed it could not be the pump, but decided if I were to replace it and still have a problem atleast I would have a spare for another time. I wish you well, but like above mentioned if you want your tractor back E-bay shows them quite often-Maybe put up a wanted post here on RS?

can whlvr

getting a used one is an option,especially when on a budget,but for me i wanted to know that if i buy a used one i will be fixing it too,so i bit the bullet and got her rebuilt by a hydraulis pump shop that does mostly really big pumps but they do sundstrand still,i gave him the sundstrand manual(which he said was very helpful because i tore it down,)and now iknow shes ready for hard duties for many years,it will breakdown at the worst time for me,blocking the road or something like that