Sign in to follow this  
Martin

1057 trans

Martin

at scotts m&g the other week i picked up an 8 speed not sure what its out of but will probably be used for a future project or maybe i will just use it on the 1057. anyway i wanted to flush it out and see what sort of condition it was in. turned over nice, no unusual noises but was full of water and a little bit of oil!!!!!

got some diesel to flush it. decided on swapping it into the 1057 as that was going to be the easiest of the three. i already knew i would have dramas with the brake linkage etc and then i needed to get some sort of drive pulley close to the 1057s original size so i could reinstall the belt guard and hopefully use the same belt.

well i got it in and it seems to be good. will probably pull it down and go through seals etc as it looks like they all are leaking. all gears work good and it seems nice and quiet. hi lo shifter seems loose and needs some attention.

very easy swap. i still need to get the brake sorted, needs a band, have the linkage that goes from the cross shaft to the band and that looks like it might work on the 1057s brake/clutch setup. heres some pics of my small adventure.....

seat pan off.....

CIMG1255.jpg

CIMG1256.jpg

1057 brake setup, i had already started getting it apart when this pic was taken.....

CIMG1257.jpg

1057 trans separated from tractor...

CIMG1258.jpg

8 speed waiting to be swapped out with rear wheels from 1057 trans........

CIMG1259.jpg

wheels on, chased all threads to make install easier....

CIMG1260.jpg

handy tool for installing trans up to frame. use 2 of these to help locate trans. makes it so much quicker getting it bolted up. (little trick i picked up from rs)...

CIMG1261.jpg

8 speed mounted in. drive pulley that was on 8 speed wasnt going to work with the belt length or guard to go on. so i hunted down a 3 1/2 inch pulley (couldnt find a 4)with a 5/8 id. that would work....

CIMG1262.jpg

CIMG1263.jpg

dont have brake sorted yet, but clutch worked fine by just hooking up spring.

CIMG1269.jpg

CIMG1270.jpg

shifter plate needs to be fabricated...

CIMG1271.jpg

1057 sort of back together, drives great, just doesnt look that complete...... :banghead:

CIMG1272.jpg

CIMG1273.jpg

i didnt instal the dipstick that came with the 8 speed, it wasnt going to work with the narrow seat box so i plugged the opening, but im happy that the shifters fit good. i guess that since some of these early tractors had the trans with the hi/lo shifter, that wasnt going to be a problem...

CIMG1274.jpg

oh and it needs a boot too...... :thumbs2:

TT

The oil level can be gauged by setting up the filler opening like the 5060 tranz:

tranzfiller010.jpg

If you're lucky enough to find one, p/n 7232 is the OEM tranz pulley you need - but they were only found on the 1067/1267 models.

112209008.jpg

4" O.D. w/ a .625 bore & the proper offset for the big block Kohler.

112209004.jpg

The brake rod from a 1970-72 Raider should solve the connection problem, or you could modify one from any of the newer two-pedal 8 speed tractors with the crossover shaft.

If the correct hi-lo shifter is installed, the filler panel from the same Raider models should take care of the gap in the hoodstand. :thumbs2:

Martin

thanks for that tt, i didnt realize that the trans filler opening in the first pic was actually on a wh trans. i had this setup on my 1054 when i got it and have been using it on the 1057 as well as it gets more oil in there than you can get with just the plug. thanks for the info on the pulleys too. im happy with the 3 1/2 as it gives me a little more SPEED... :thumbs2: eventually im going to change the drive pulley on the crank and go a little larger. the 1057 has nowhere near as much pace as the 1054 with its 15 inch tires and pulley gearing. im not using the 1057 for any low speed stuff just playing around. so some more pace would be nice........

i think the 8 speed brake rod i have i can make work......