Sign in to follow this  
Fun Engineer

Commando 8 Restoration

Fun Engineer

Well Murphy's Law has struck the Fun Engineers shop. I layed out all my bearings before pressing them into place and found I was short one. I checked, double checked and finally triple checked. Yep, I ordered the exact number of each bearing the owners manual said was required.

Here-in lies the problem. The owners manual is wrong. The wh pn 1529 (Torrington M-12121) lists only one bearing. There are actually two. So... I finally got the second bearing and will be able to finish this thing next weekend. At least I'm able to paint parts while I wait.

Terry M

Well Murphy's Law has struck the Fun Engineers shop. I layed out all my bearings before pressing them into place and found I was short one. I checked, double checked and finally triple checked. Yep, I ordered the exact number of each bearing the owners manual said was required.

Here-in lies the problem. The owners manual is wrong. The wh pn 1529 (Torrington M-12121) lists only one bearing. There are actually two. So... I finally got the second bearing and will be able to finish this thing next weekend. At least I'm able to paint parts while I wait.

I can relate! I'm waiting for the same bearing...moition industries sent me a bad M-12121. Oh-well....

:angry-banghead:

Terry M

I can relate! I'm waiting for the same bearing...moition industries sent me a bad M-12121. Oh-well....

:angry-banghead:

Forgot to say...Your project looks nice! Wheels look nicely painted...Keep up the good work!!!

bowtiebutler956

Well I'm sorry for the set back, but I must say you are doing a beautiful job with your restoration! :woohoo: I really like the story behind it as well, just makes it more special. :thumbs:

Matt

Fun Engineer

Matt and Terry, Thanks guys. It is a very special project for me. I'm trying to get it finished for the June show. Only having two weekends a month to work on it makes it difficult to accomplish much at one time. I brought some parts to work with me so I could get some painting done during the week so I could finish this thing in time. I got the wheels repainted the proper Linen Beige so by the end of next week I should have the tires mounted and installed on the tractor and I should have the transmission back together. I'll continue to post pictures of my progress.

AMC RULES

That's good, 'cause I'm using this thread as reference for the resto of my own Commando one day. :popcorn:

Fun Engineer

Let me know if there is any questions I can answer for you Craig or if you need parts let me know. I have a Commando Parts tractor that I will be parting out once I'm finished with mine.

AMC RULES

Not to jack your thread up, but I'm always looking for a good condition, or restorable factory '68 Commando seat. :popcorn:

They looka likea thisa one...

post-3498-0-59490300-1333900067.jpg

post-3498-0-98145000-1333900090.jpg

Fun Engineer

No problem Craig. I feel your pain. I'm looking for a newer seat with the 7 inch by 7.5 inch bolt pattern for this Commando. I have a seat pan but the vinyl is shot Non of the neweer seats have the same bolt pattern and I don't want to drill any new holes in the fender pan. I don't have the time to try and find another good original. I currently have a friend at work that does boat upholstery making me a seat for my 67 Ranger. If it turns out I thought I would have her make a seat or two for my Commando and any future short frame I work on. My 857 had a beautiful seat on it when I got it. I had another family friend replace the very top panel on it. Cost me $40. Way too much to spend now a days. The friend at work thinks she can do the whole seat for under $50. We'll see. I'll let you know if your still interested in a reproduction.

Fun Engineer

Here are a few pictures of my dash from last weekend. Dash courtesy of Terry at redoyourhorse.com

IMGP4424.jpgIMGP4439.jpgIMGP4448.jpg

AMC RULES

The friend at work thinks she can do the whole seat for under $50. We'll see. I'll let you know if your still interested in a reproduction.

Please do...keep us posted. :popcorn:

The dash looks mint. :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Man, Terry sure does nice work. That dash looks perfect! :wicked:

Matt :flags-texas:

Jake Kuhn

That dash looks great! Jake

Fun Engineer

Well my transmission is back together, painted and installed on the tractor. Sorry, no pictures as I spent Sunday stripping parts off machines and sandblasting them for the plater. I still need to find replacement front tires and mount all four and mount the engine that hasn't been started yet since being rebuilt.

I did a quick calculation and I only have four weekends left to finish this. I'm not sure I'm going to make it for the show.

AMC RULES

You're almost there already...don't give up now...keep up the great work. :thumbs:

You can do it...and we can help. :popcorn:

Fun Engineer

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO MAKE IT. I THINK.

My wife helped me place the engine on the frame last weekend and it fired right up. I haven't even adjusted the carb yet. I'm sure glad I don't have hidden cameras in the garage to see the happy dance I did. Pretty embarrassing for a grown man. Still lots to do but the end is in site. I'm supposed to pickup my 45 pounds of metal I took to the platers today and I finally found a drive belt that should fit.

Here's a few pictures of the progress to date.

IMGP4491.jpg

IMGP4489.jpg

IMGP4484.jpgIMGP4485.jpg

In case you're interested, the rears are Carlise 23x8.5x12 and the fronts are Deestone 4.8x8. I've had the rears for about 10 years waiting for the opportunity to use them.

Arendtsville, here I come.

whfan74

That looks sharp! You are right you are almost done!

I think we have all done the happy dance from time to time.......no need to be embarassed about it. Next time we need a video though! :)

COMMANDO6

Where did you get the white front plastic emblem thingy? I desperately need one and the things to hold it on.

Also, I kinda need a new seat, I don't know that an upholsterer could make one with the emblem and fancy pattern.

Great work BTW!

rmaynard

In case you're interested, the rears are Carlise 23x8.5x12 and the fronts are Deestone 4.8x8. I've had the rears for about 10 years waiting for the opportunity to use them.

Arendtsville, here I come.

Dave,

If you have your camera handy, can you post a shot of the front tires taken from the front, not side? I'd like to see how the width of the 4.8 tire look on those 3.5" rims.

rmaynard

Where did you get the white front plastic emblem thingy? I desperately need one and the things to hold it on.

Also, I kinda need a new seat, I don't know that an upholsterer could make one with the emblem and fancy pattern.

Great work BTW!

If you are talking about the escutcheon plate that covers the hole where the lights go, it and the mounting nuts are still available from Toro.

AMC RULES

About $14...they're on ebay too. :thumbs:

Fun Engineer

How's this Bob? I actually had this in my photobucket.

IMGP4490.jpg

I had my originals all cleaned up and ready to reinstall but I decided that since everything else is either rebuilt, repainted, replated or new including the rear tires, I better put some new treads on the front so this one will last another 44 years. I also looked at the 5.7x8 but thought it was too tall and didn't like the way it looked on the wheel. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the 5.7x8 for those using it. Its just a personal preference.

Here's another angle.

IMGP4483.jpg

rmaynard

Thanks for the pictures. Your tractor looks fantastic. :thumbs:

Fun Engineer

Thanks Bob

I can't wait to see pictures of yours. If anything like your other tractors It'll be a standout.

What are you thinking of doing for the front tires?

rmaynard

I am currently looking at some old Wheel Horse logo'd 16 x 5.50 x 8's. A little Miller tire paint can make them look fresh again. If that doesn't work out, I may just go the same route you did with the 4.80's.