Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Anti-Scalp "Crazy" Wheels?

71_Bronco

So my mind was goin' today while chatting with a co-worker about our wheel horses.

One thing that came up was the anti-scalp "rollers" on our mower decks. We both have experience with the mid-sized Kabotas (my dad has an early 90's 20 horse diesel), and one thing we noticed was that on the larger decks, the front anti-scalp wheels are the pivoting type, to help reduce wear and to roll over un-even ground easier.

Has anybody ever modded their deck to have wheels like this? Doesn't seem too hard, just have to get some metal stock and have some welding skills.

Here's a pic of sorta what I'm talking about

5009.jpg

jusjeepn

The antiscalp wheels on W/H deck are just that...antiscalp wheels. W/H decks are designed to float in the front and ride in the back. That is how your cutting height is adjusted with just the rear wheels. The deck carriage is designed to keep the deck level no matter what height it's set at. These decks are not designed to be pulled along such as the Kubota decks are. Adding a swivel wheel to the front would, more than likely, make the height adjustment non effective and quite possibly give a very ragged, uneven cut.

Don1977

The 42 and 48 inch 75 and later model decks with the 5 rollers and 2 gauge wheels won't scalp if in good condition. I have cut gouges in my yard with other mowers but my 48" deck Wheel Horse has never scalped my yard and it's yard is not level.

Those are home made Dogwood roller with brass bushings, gave up on the latest plastic ones.

IMGP1676.jpg

71_Bronco

The deck I have doesn't have the 2 front, outside corner rollers. It just has the one front roller, 2 center rear rollers, and the height wheels.

Don1977

The deck I have doesn't have the 2 front, outside corner rollers. It just has the one front roller, 2 center rear rollers, and the height wheels.

It would be good to add the two outside front rollers. I mow one area around a catch basin and 48" base doesn't scalp, ever other mower I have used will.