Sign in to follow this  
OhioTractorGuy

B-100 vs c-105

OhioTractorGuy

If you were forced to choose :thumbs2: (and I know many would say "I choose both", however I think my wife would notice if I started getting these by the pair) which model would you prefer for primarilly snow removal?

I know condition plays a huge part, but let's say condition is equal, which would you choose and what would you be willing to pay?

C-Series14

B-100...black hoods are bland! :thumbs2:

Sparky

I'm partial to the Black Hoods so the C-105 would be my choice. Are you going to be clearing snow in the dark? You definitly want the C-105 as it has the nice bright sealed beam headlights whereas the B-100 (if it even has lights) has lousy headlights. The C-105 will have the large fuel tank under the seat and the B-100 will have the smaller underhood fuel tank. If fuel capacity is a factor go with the C-105.

Other than that your getting the same tranny, motor, frame, steering...etc...

Mike.......

illinilefttackle

:thumbs2: What he just said! C- all the way-Thanks-Al

OhioTractorGuy

Ahhh, never thought about the headlight thing, you are a wise one!! I was trying to wrestle as they have the same mechanicals.

As for price, any thoughts on these?

Ken B

Sparky has some good points there but, you'll either like the looks of a C-105 or you won't.

rmaynard

Is there any doubt that I have to go with the B-100? In my opinion, the '74 through '77 B & C series are among the best looking tractors ever built by Wheel Horse.

Besides the looks, another plus is the solid mount engine. Never did see any advantage in the cradle mount.

So my vote goes to the B-100. :thumbs2:

WheelHorseSteve

So yes... the B-100 will often have the escutcheon plate in the place of headlights... one of the differentiators between the B & C series from that day was stock headlights. In the mid-70s, only the D series had the sealed beam headlights. That said, you can get some amazing LED/aftermarket ones... so consider that option as well. Many times the escutcheon plate is broken or missing, anyway.

In terms of the gas tank, the 10 HP engine is pretty good on gas... so don't consider the underhood one as totally prohibitive for longer plowing stints.

I think the fundamental question has already been stated here -- you either like the look of the black hoods or you don't. They were probably the biggest change in looks for Wheel Horse until the 300/400/500 series. Some love them, some don't. For me... B-100 for sure. :thumbs2:

kpinnc

That said, you can get some amazing LED/aftermarket ones... so consider that option as well.

Agreed, and up to 55 watts I might add for incandescent bulbs. I assure you no factory lighting system from Wheel Horse had that kind of headlights. Best thing is they are available everywhere from Wal-mart to Advance auto parts for around $20 a set. Just keep in mind they do get hot while on, and run your charging system at max on a standard Kohler engine. If you run them in combination with tail lights, you go over-budget on amps and the battery will die after running for extended periods.

55-watt headlights with LED tail lights? No problems!

But did I mention they are bright?

muledrive003.jpg

I'm still itching to get a set of good LED headlights. They have MUCH lower current draw than anything else, but supposedly have similar brightness.

Good luck on the decision!

OhioTractorGuy

I'll need to take a closer look at these units, but the mega headlights are a big plus.

(If you get LED tail lights, maybe all you need are those hub caps which spin backward when you stop! :thumbs2: )

Would it be a sin to paint the black hood red?

tbbahner

I personally like the black hoods. Being kind of a tall guy, they seem to be a bit more roomy than the old B's and C's. Might be my imagination but they just seem a bit bigger. The black hood will grow on ya.

Either way a good choice.

Tom B

MaineDad

No engine cradle on the B also means a bigger oil pan for splash lubrication. Also the B is so much easier to access wires, rock shaft etc. I would go for the B.

OhioTractorGuy

When it comes to the ignitions on these, do the C105's have the points/condensor that the B100 has, or is it electronic?

TT

They both have the same battery ignition system with points.

Unless I missed it, you never specified which B-100....... is it a '74/'75 automatic or a '76/'77 8 speed? :thumbs2:

rmaynard

Unless I missed it, you never specified which B-100....... is it a '74/'75 automatic or a '76/'77 8 speed? :thumbs2:

He told me that it is a 1976, 8-speed.

TT

He told me that it is a 1976, 8-speed.

Oh......... OK. "Six of one - half a dozen of the other" then.

Personally, I'd look for a hydro - preferably with hydraulic lift. :thumbs2:

Wheel Horse Kid

I would pick the B-100 for sure. I had one awhile back and it was a good tractor.

hm12460

Another vote for the B-100.

Butch

I bought a pretty nice C-85 Black hood earlier this year and it came with a nice 36" SD deck. I paid $600 and was happy with the price although I ain"t much of a dickerer! But I did get him from $800 down to $600. By the way I love this tractor, it's got guts and awesome fuel mileage. I would expect the C-105 to be similiar in price based on it's condition.

c175inMA

i paid $500 for a c175 with a 48" deck and a homemade plow. hope this helps