Sign in to follow this  
rsaroha

655/605/854 PTO spring attachment

rsaroha

Hi

I recently got a 1965 model 655. It is missing the PTO spring which brings the PTO pulley back (and tightens it). I got a spring (part no 5714) from internet. Now I am trying to figure out how to connect this spring. I see a cotter pin in the frame (just below the transmission belt guard). And there is a hole in the PTO itself. From the drawings it looks like one end of the spring should go in this PTO hole. Only problem is that I am unable to make it go in.

Could someone post a picture of their PTO spring area?

Regards

Raju

Kelly

They used a large cotter pin sticking through a hole in the frame near the foot rest bar, leave the head stick out the outside to hook the spring too.

rsaroha

Correction:

Hi Kelly

I went to the tractor and found the cotter pin in the frame. And one end of the spring did go in this easily. Now where will the other end of spring go? I am attaching image of the manual. Should I put another cotter pin at location B1 (Ass'y Trip lever) and Put second end of spring (A1) there or is there any other way to do it?

Thanks

Raju

Hmmm, never thought of this :thumbs2:. Will pick few pins up tomorrow (I am missing couple more). Thanks a lot for quick response.

~raju

rsaroha

Image attached

PTO.jpg

CasualObserver

The other cotter is already in the picture.

PTO.jpg

rsaroha

guess I need a new cotter there. the one which I have currently is very thin and I don't think will be able to take the stress of spring. Also I think I will need yet another cotter pin for hole B1 to keep the link bar in place.

One last question. the clutch pedal on my tractor is getting struck below the belt guard. I think it should travel freely on it's side. Am I correct?

CasualObserver

Pretty sure your B1 is where the end of the spring goes. If I'm remembering right, that spring serves two purposes. It's the tension spring for the pedal itself, and it also gives a little spring to the pedal release part so it snaps back into place when you depress the pedal to turn the PTO off. I don't have any good pictures, and don't have that PTO on any tractor currently to take a picture. The cotter is what holds the parts together. And yes, the pedal should travel freely, is your belt guard warped or out of alignment?.

SousaKerry

IIRC when I rebuilt mine i attached the end of the spring to a cotter pin in the hole you have marked B1

also on the clutch check where the shaft goes through the frame near the transmission sometimes this will rust up and bind. There is also an oil hole on the clutch pedal itself make sure this is clear and well lubed.

rsaroha

yes I think the cover is little bent at the top making it push out. I wasn't sure whether it came like this (to avoid the belt from rubbing with the guard) or something went wrong during installation etc. I will try to fix it tonight.

I will try to get some cotter pin tonight and see if I could find any strong enough to take the tension and small enough to fit through that hole (it's pretty small hole)

I have taken whole pedal assembly apart and will be cleaning it up before putting it back. There is lots of gunk accumulated there.

rsaroha

Finally found the pictures of spring attachment here on red-square (this place is awsome)

100_3563.jpg

100_3562.jpg

and the thread which contain these images.

Edited by CasualObserver
fixed old broken link

SousaKerry

Dang that stainless on that tractor looks nice......Me thinks I need to replace a few components on my 655 like that