Sign in to follow this  
family tradition

wheel horse tractor is aggravating me

family tradition

wont'stay started and backfiring and spitting fuel out of the carb. about to go grab a parts tractor and fix my raider 8 for 170.00 with a plow and another deck :thumbs2:

family tradition

thinking it got water in the gas from all the rain we had and i changed the carb bowl gasket . i could have moved the carb float alittle bit and thats why its spiiting gas out the carb

stevasaurus

What you said about the float adjustment could very well be part of the problem...need to fix that first. Make sure the needle valve for the float is working correctly. A little background is in order here....have you had this horse for a while and was it running correctly before. Could be bad gas, but I think it is more in the whole fuel system. Simple fixes would be the fuel filter, making sure the fuel pump is pumping gas, the needle valves are at the correct adjustment, check the fuel shutoff and make sure it is not sucking air by the gasket plug...check the spark plug and see if it is burning clean. A little carb cleaner can go a long way here....maybe pull the carb screws and spray some carb cleaner into the holes...put the screws back in and softly bottom them out and then back them out to where they are supposed to be. Does it run better when the choke is out a little, it is sucking air somewhere then. Check it out and let us know...hard to guess until you check some of these things out. We can go from there. :thumbs2:

tunahead72

Walk away calmly, put down whatever you're threatening your tractor with, take a deep breath ... and then do what Steve just said. :thumbs2:

woodchuckfarmer

Its like Steve said, start with the fuel tank. Clean it , get new fuel lines. change the inline fuel filter , clean the fuel pump and carb. Do all of it then there is no questions about the fuel system hope this helps Wayne

family tradition

i bought it 2 weeks ago and it ran fine but went to start it today and all this stuff happens and plus it rained all week and it was out in the weather because i have no room in my shed . i will try all that was said thanks guys. i do wanna gt the parts tractor though could use it for spare parts a grab the motor and put on my raider 8

170.00 for tractor ,plow and deck isn't a bad deal .the parts tractor is a c-81 thats beat up. and the deck is shot

family tradition

the funny thing is i dont remember whether i tightened up the carb bolts when i did the gasket on the bowl . think they are only finger tight. have to check them tomarrow

stevasaurus

Looks like you have a great place to start... :thumbs2: Let us know what you find. :banghead:

tunahead72

It's not related to your starting/backfiring/spitting problem, but if this tractor has been spending a good bit of time outside in the rain, and especially if you don't know a lot about its history, you should check the trans. fluid carefully. If it's milky or chocolaty looking, you probably have water inside the trans. and should make a note to change the fluid soon. Make sure the rubber gear shift boot is in good condition also, and replace it if it's not.

family tradition

ok thanks . does anyone know where i can get a air cleaner cover for it can't get it from my dealer

Jim_M

Post a want ad in the classifieds or look on eBay. They're out there and plentiful.

tunahead72

Mr. tradition (can we call you "family"?), :thumbs2:

Check your engine decals first just to make sure, for a 1986 312-8 it should be a Kohler K301S, spec. 47828.

You're talking about the metal cover for that whole air cleaner assembly, right? That should be part no. 235102-S, and as Jim mentioned it should be available lots of places, any Kohler dealer should either have one in stock or be able to get one quickly for you. Brand new, they're not cheap for what they are ($20-$25 or so, probably primed not painted), I would probably look for a good used one.

By the way, do you have owner/service/parts manuals for your engines and tractors? Free downloads are available online, they're hugely useful, just ask here if you need anything, somebody can point you in the right direction. :banghead:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there's also a transmission repair manual that could come in handy at some point.

family tradition

was told when i bought it that it was a 1986 . but i ran the numbers and its a 1989 with a kohler magnum

tunahead72

Okay, no problem, I was going by one of your other posts somewhere.

According to the information in the model list here on RedSquare, and confirmed on the Toro site, your tractor model should either be 21-12K806 or E1-12K802 (those are both numbers for the '89 312-8, don't know what makes them different).

The Kohler Magnums on both of these are model M12S, spec. number 471527 or 471546. They both use the same air intake system, and the engine parts manual (available on the Kohler site) and OPEEngines.com both list the following "air cleaner covers":

• [*:2mx4nbaz]air cleaner element cover (a.k.a. "inner air cleaner cover") 52-082-04 ($12), and[*:2mx4nbaz]air cleaner cover (w/hole for fuel line) 47-096-10 ($78).

I've seen your photos in your profile and one of your other posts, and I can't tell which part you actually need, but it looks like they're both still available new. If your dealer still can't get what you need, I would try another dealer or online, or look for used.

Good luck!