Sign in to follow this  
bass

1985 312-8

bass

hey guys

neighbor just gave me a 1985 312-8 with a 42 inch deck and all the original documentation

meter shows 1200 hours on it and it Looks ok and my other neighbor gave me a snow blower for a wheel horse. pulled the battery to put it on a charger. He stated it runs and then dies but he's not sure what the problem is. Going to start working on it next weekend but any idea where I should start with this dying problem.

thanks

Steve

CRE1992

Could be the coil getting hot, or maybe it is starving for fuel. As a rule when ever I pick something up the first thing I do is replace the fuel line and fuel filter, as well as give it a complete tune up.

bass

thanks cre

I'll change the fuel lines / filter and fluids next weekend

HankB

Hi bass,

First of all, :thumbs2:

Next... If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen! Let me put this another way.

:banghead:

OK, I'll show you mine (and hope you show us yours.)

P1000934-PP.JPG

Are you sure that's an '85? Mine is and I don't recall it having an hour meter. I think that came later. Another way to tell is whether it has a K301 or the Magnum engine. The '85 has a K301. (The 314-H behind it in my picture has a Magnum.)

I can't add too much to the troubleshooting advice except to suggest to check fuel first as I believe it is the more likely possibility. There should be a filter in the pickup in the tank as well and if the fuel cap doesn't vent, it can also cause that problem.

Oh, yeah... Another possibility is valve lash adjustment (which would be covered in a proper tune up) or an exhaust valve that sticks when it gets hot.

Keep us posted on what you find.

shorts

:thumbs2: