Sign in to follow this  
RedMaine

520 XI decision..

RedMaine

Hi everyone! I am new to this site, and have been doing research on the WH 520h and XI. I have a local dealer that I like, that has a 500 hr 520 H with a blower and a 44 in rear discharge mower. He was asking big money for it, but it got me thinking that WH is a great machine, and a definite keeper.

In doing my research, I located a 2003/4? XI that had been sold new 2 years ago. It is local, so I went to see it. It has the 2 stage blower, and a 44 rear

discharge deck, both brand new. It also has a cab that was new 2 years ago.

I have 7 acres, that is maybe 1.5 ac grass. It is hilly, and has lots of obstacles.. It slopes fairly steep to water and I have gotten stuck in my trusty Craftsman Tractor more than once.. I also have a 300 foot stone dust drive with 2 parking pads and some grade changes. I used a walk behind Toro that in wet snow was non effective (biggest one they make). Oh yeah, I live in Maine..

My question is, what would a fair price be for the 520XI, and is it going to tackle my snow issue, while being nimble enough for my mowing? I am very anal about my property, and machines, so I think I am in the right place.. Any input would be appreciated..

Also, any known issues with the XI that I should know about?

Thanks,

Mark

kpinnc

About all I can give you on this is my opinion... Hopefully an xi owner can step in here and provide more on one of them.

I've never owned any of the xi tractors, but I do know they are very nice, rugged machines. They appear to be a bit more modern, in terms of design (step-through to get on/ off, and a few more bells and whistles), but still use a similar Eaton transmission (shaft-driven) and equivalent horse power to the 520-H. They will also have a smaller turning radius. The down side to this machine is that there aren't many of them out there, so finding used attachments may be harder. Many of the attachments may still be available from Toro, but they tend to be quite proud of anything they have.

I can however tell you that a 520-H is also a very tough tractor, and there are literally thousands of them out there. It can also use most every other attachment as any B/C-series tractor, or any 300/400/500-series attachments, so finding a particular implement will be much easier, and quite a bit cheaper. The only problems you may find with any attachments is that the 520-H has a longer wheel base than the standard Wheel Horse, so things like the snow plow will require an extender kit. Of the "classic" series tractors, the 520-H is the top-of-the-line. It's a Cadillac. :thumbs2:

I'd love to have an xi, but if I had to choose one or the other it would be the 520-H without question. Just my $.02...

Good luck!

RedMaine

Hi kpinnc, Thanks for your insight. That is a valuable point on the availability of attachments. I guess the good news is that this one is coming with what I really need. It also has the foot pedal for forward and reverse, which I personally like.

I did test out a 520 H and it is a solid machine, no doubt, but my observation is it was not in top notch condition, and I think it is always better to get something that is unmolested versus well used. That being said, 500-600 hours on the H is not high by my observation.

So, a perfect 520 XI or a not so perfect 520-H for a marginal price difference..

Thanks for your reply..

wheelhorse656

:thumbs2:

rexman72

:thumbs2:

jimbo7921

The other point to add is parts for a XI compared to parts for a H, you will have an easier time finding parts for a H because of the availability of many more tractors (except for engine issues, hope you never run into those), XI parts are becoming just as scarce as attachments. Have fun choosing!!

wh500special

I've had both, and without ANY doubt in my mind I would pick the XI.

Yes, they are more modern and complex. But they are far more nimble than the older design, ride better, and are tough as nails.

The onan engine in the older tractor seems more powerful to me than those used in the 5xi's, but the kohl certainly isn't lacking.

Like Kevin said, the advantage of the 520 is attachment availability. But as the xi's age it seems like more things are popping up for them, but not necessarily in your area (or mine for that matter). And, you may find the "smart turn" auto slowdown system weird to use...until you use the cruise control feature. A kit to disable the system is available and member "awd" may still have his available in the classifieds for a good price.

I think most opinions you'll get on this forum will favor the older tractor, but if I had to get rid of all my stuff and keep ONE tractor to use every day, it would be the XI.

Steve

wh500special

I just realized I missed a few questions...

Yes, it will mow and clear snow equally well to anything on the market in the size class. However, rear discharge decks often don't provide a "great" cut if you're particularly fussy. They generally lack the vacuum action needed to pull grass upright before cutting. If you mow often and when it's dry enough you'll most likely be satisfied.

Also, RD decks tend to deposit a lot of Schmutz on the transaxle which you'll need to clean regularly for cooling.

I am NOT impressed with the 44" SD deck made for the xi. The RD on both should be the 42-inch by the way.

Price...

Seems like really nice old-style 520's trade hands regularly in the 1500 neighborhood with the 60 inch deck. Less for the rd deck. I don't have a clue what to add for the blower.

Xi's cost more. I would think 2500 for the package you describe would be a steal. If from a dealer, I would't be surprised to see even more.

Pricing/value are wildly subjective and are time and location dependent.

Your mileage may vary,

Steve

RedMaine

Hi Steve, Thanks for the encouragement.. Having had both, your opinion certainly is a good perspective for me.. The XI is basically brand new, it has 37 hrs.. I thought it had 60.. not that it is much different, and 26 of those were on it from the dealer.. It is a hard one to turn down..

cheesegrader

My 520h is a joy.

It mows a huge flat area in no time,

clears snow like a cannon,

maintains a couple hundred yards of gravel drive,

and pulls all kinds of occasional toys,

but...

It isn't nimble.

It takes wide turns, and doesn't handle steep slopes.

I can't speak for the XI. I don't know that it handles slopes any better,

but I wouldn't take my 520 anywhere near a steep grade next to open water.

wh500special

I forgot about the "over-running" nature of the 520's on downhill runs. I never cared much for that behavior either, but it is controllable with the hydro DCL (direction control lever) on the column.

The 5XI has a foot pedal which is easier to use and makes the tractor pretty intuitive to drive. I've never noticed any overrunning with mine, but truthfully I haven't used it on any steep grades. The both use an Eaton 11 transmission, so I'd expect behavior to be the same. The pedal has a spring return that puts it back in the neutral postion when you let up on it (unless the cruise is set) so it should slow down on it's own.

The transaxle in the 5xi is a two range unit with a real neutral position. And it is shaft driven with a shaft that looks robust enough to be the main screw on the Queen Mary (although realistically the belt drive WH used for 40 years is incredibly reliable). Low range is really slow and is probably best for tilling or snow blowing. Or steep hills. I'm not sure I've ever used low range for anything. The xi's at full blast are not as fast as 520's, so if you plan to use the tractor to run into town it wouldn't be your best choice...

Steve

RedMaine

Steve, Again, thanks for the details.. The grade is not too steep that it slides, it was just too steep for the other tractor to get grip. Much of that could just be weight, as I could put it in gear, put my hand on the seat, and push the thing back up. I think that with the weight of the WH (and hopefully decent grip), the wheels will not free wheel, and go nowhere. That is my issue..

No great need for speed.. although, it comes in handy here and there.. I drove it yesterday and like the pedal much better than the lever.. it was easy and modulated well. The machine is tight and deliberate.

Any idea if there are people out there that might take the 42 CD (never used) in exchange for a larger SD deck? Or is the CD universally disliked? I have a 42 now on what I use, and would much prefer to cut a little time off the runs.. I also think with a larger deck, it would trim better.

Mark

kpinnc

I think most opinions you'll get on this forum will favor the older tractor

That's a good point Steve. Most of us have "classic" styled tractors. I would have to say the xi is the only non "true" Wheel Horse that I would love to have myself. Of course I only mean it's a Toro- redesigned model. Not trying to open a can of worms there... :thumbs2:

Or is the CD universally disliked?

No, the rear discharge is a good mower. Because it's rear discharge, you can mow up close to obstacles on either side of the tractor. The problem is they don't have any lift (vacuum), and don't spread all the clippings evenly to one side like a side-discharge does.

Like Steve said- if you mow quite regularly, the rear discharge is fine. They are also good mulching mowers if the mulching kit is installed. But the side-discharge decks will spread your clippings better. I think with a lawn sweeper the rear discharge will work very well.

Good luck. Be sure to post pictures of the xi. We don't see many of those...

Kevin

RedMaine

Hi Kevin, thanks for the thought on a tow behind sweeper.. that is a great thought, as I was scratching my head on that one.. :thumbs2: I like to mow, and based on my first impressions, I will be mowing my neighbors lawns just to get the exercise..

Any recommendations on a sweeper? Also, is the mulching kit still available?

I absolutely will post pics when I get it!!

Mark

Jim_M

Buy the Xi, with only 37 hours on it, you're getting a new tractor.

wh500special

Buy the Xi, with only 37 hours on it, you're getting a new tractor.

Yep, I concur.

And with only 37 hours I think my guesstimate on value is out the window. :thumbs2:

Steve

shorts

I'm stuck on the older C series tractors, but if I wanted something just to mow & blow with, I'd go with the XI, easy parts availability, modern easy to operate, buy it for the finance director to use and then find an older tractor 8 speed to play with and use for all of your other chores load it up with a selection of reasonably priced attachments to work with, tiller, mulcher,trailer,dozer,bellyblade,plow,etc

RedMaine

Hey all! I am glad I came to this forum.. It not only gave me some confidence that I am headed in the right direction, I got a lot of good ideas to boot! :thumbs2:

I like the idea of using this for mowing and blowing and having something cool to do other things.. Putting my toe in the water on this one makes sense..

Thanks!

kpinnc

buy it for the finance director to use and then find an older tractor 8 speed to play with

Took me a second to realize who you were talking about... :thumbs2: Says lots about why my finance director is the finance director, huh?

Any recommendations on a sweeper? Also, is the mulching kit still available?

Mark I think most any of the "allied" sweepers would work, and there are several models still out there. You may even be able to find one at a big-box store like Lowes or something similar. They just hook up on most any lawnmower hitch, just like a small trailer. I don't have one, but several members here do and like them from some of the posts I've read.

I would think the mulching kits are still available. But, like any other new parts from Toro, they will be expensive. If you're using the sweeper, you may not really need one anyway.

Kevin

CRE1992

Here is my 416H with 42" RD and 42" craftsman lawn sweeper! I also have a 520H with a 60" deck, but it is a SD and is too bulky to pull the sweeper around! Great tractor also. The RD Leaf sweeper combination works great and there is a link below if you want some ideas :thumbs2:

Stuff005.jpg

Leaf sweeper

whlpny

Hi Mark- Steve has covered everything pretty thoroughly as usual on the 520xi"s. If you have found one with a blower then you are all set for hard to find attachments for it. All you need to do is add a slot hitch and linkeage hardware to the rear and you can use any rear ground engaging attachment built by Wheelhorse and it will be done with your hyd lift.

I did not comment on a recent post about 520H hype- I have owned 2 of each model-for me there is none- the H doesn't compare to the XI and never will.The column shift on a 520 H is the worst invention I have ever come across on a WH. The xis are an excellent machine - if you get one with power steering its a bonus! The foot control hydro, shaft drive and sharp turning radius make it a dream to use. The only people who will knock em are the ones who haven't tried or owned one. Also if you ever decide to add a loader- the PS is key to enjoyable use.

I have a 60 in SD deck under mine that cuts excellent. If you are mowing that big acreage it would be a good upgrade to consider. With the low hrs you are buying a an almost new machine and I would say go for it- you won't regret it!

whlpny

Sorry- forgot to add that I have NOT tried a rear tiller on an XI so I can't comment on how they operate or the comparison in drives on them- but the rest of rear attachments will be the same!!

RedMaine

Hey Bob, I totally agree on the stalk shifter.. not trying to offend any of the H people.. But it didn't feel easy or smooth.. I like the sweeper idea, and it is a much cheaper solution for most of my lawn. I would far prefer to pull that around, even if I can't get it all.. than blow the leaves, and tote them across the lawn. Did that already this year..

Again, thanks for the input!

I hope to be picking up the XI tomorrow.. Thanks for everyone's help!

Mark

RedMaine

Can't seem to upload any picts, saying "you cannot upload this type of file" It is a jpg?

dennist

Mark,

Glad to see you joined. It looks like the guys have given you some good advise and you are getting the XI. I have seen the pics of it and think you will have a keeper for a long long time. When you load pics you will have to use photobucket or something like that, copy the image and paste on your post. If you need any help just do a search on how to post pics and it will get you through easily. Early congrats -Dennis

WOW is this site slooooooooowwwww tonight!