Sign in to follow this  
jbumgarner

Welding Table

jbumgarner

I am getting ready to pick up a small mig welder and have never owned one. I can weld, but not the greatest. I'm planning to build a welding table to use as a work surface for welding, cutting and securing material to the table. I was thinking of something smaller (30"x40" space limitations) on casters and modular to allow the table to be used as a jig or fixture. The top is either going to be 1/2" plate with holes tapped on 2 or 4 inch centers, or bar grate. I like the bar grate idea better, still be able to secure using bolts and clamps, but will allow slag to fall through more easily. Anyone have any suggestions. What do you guys use or I would say "what would you do different" looking back at your current setup. Height is an issue and I think around 42" would be a good working height, but there again, what do you think. I guess I am hoping to finish the project and not have any thought of what I would do different. If anyone has a picture of what works well for them I would like to see them. Thanks in advance.

:thumbs2:

CasualObserver

Lots of good ideas over at the Garage Journal. in the General Forum, search for welding table.... lots of threads.

Here's one recent one. ----> http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118279

HorseFixer

Hey jbumgarner Doode

I have been welding for 35+ years not as a full time, however It was my first job out of high school. I am fixing to build a welding Table at work so when I do I will be building one like the one shown here in this video. Its the best looking design I have seen with all the tooling holes to make fixtures. I seen this awhile back so figure this is what you are looking for by your description. :banghead: I figure I can work all the bugs out at work So's when I build mine at home it will be even better. :thumbs2:

Martin

Hey jbumgarner Doode

I have been welding for 35+ years not as a full time, however It was my first job out of high school. I am fixing to build a welding Table at work so when I do I will be building one like the one shown here in this video. Its the best looking design I have seen with all the tooling holes to make fixtures. I seen this awhile back so figure this is what you are looking for by your description. :banghead: I figure I can work all the bugs out at work So's when I build mine at home it will be even better. :thumbs2:

thats a really nice setup there duke. lots of real nice and handy attachments as well. lots of good ideas to incorporate into a nice table. i think i will steal a few of them.....

heres a catalog on what these guys offer.....build pro catalog

looks like a really big investment though.... :banghead:

build pro welding table.

way outta my budget.....

HorseFixer

Martin, you got that right brother. Nope I can build one, may not be quite as Accurate as theirs but it will have the holes to bolt things down. I'm with ya I cant afford one either! :thumbs2:

~Duke

smoreau

Hey jbumgarner Doode

I have been welding for 35+ years not as a full time, however It was my first job out of high school. I am fixing to build a welding Table at work so when I do I will be building one like the one shown here in this video. Its the best looking design I have seen with all the tooling holes to make fixtures. I seen this awhile back so figure this is what you are looking for by your description. :banghead: I figure I can work all the bugs out at work So's when I build mine at home it will be even better. :banghead:

That is one nice table!! I want one! with all the clamps, strait edges, and stops. :thumbs2:

shorts

cool welding table, the fastening system with all of the holes looks like a takeoff on the oldfashion wood workers bench.

I'd worry about getting dingle berrys/spatter in the holes and then having a problem with the pins fitting when you were on a strain trying to mount something up or clamp it down.

I guess I'm old school but it's hard to beat a 1'' plate tabletop and just weld your fixtures on and grind them off when your done. the 1 thing that I've seen was to use the hydraulic base from a barbers chair to make a small table adjustable height for small projects.

dodge78

One thing I have wanted to do was use trailer jacks for legs with gears on top. Have a crank handle on a gear to adjust the height of the table with chain running to the jack gears. That way I could adjust table height for different size projects.