Sign in to follow this  
bk-scouter

Fall gardening

bk-scouter

This was our second season of having a garden and it was a very good summer full of cukes, potatoes, corn, brocolli, tomatoes, peppers and the like. It's almost October and starting to think about getting the garden ready for the winter. I'm interested in planting winter rye after reading about the benefits it gives for spring time fertilizing and a 'green' method of weed control. I'm still 'green' :banghead: at this gardening stuff, so when should I plant the winter rye and should there be a certain type planted ? I'll assume that the plot should be tilled under before planting, but should I pull out all the veggie plants or cut them down and till them into the soil ? I have alot of weeds too, should I deal with these differently or just till them in? Last year I pulled out the plants and put them into my compost pile. I ran my push mower over the weeds, then tilled everything in before winter set in. My size of my garden is approx. 50' x 25'. Any advice from the seasoned veterans out there is truly appreciated. :thumbs2:

-BK

farmer

BK,

Good to hear you've enjoyed a bountiful summer, I have read about winter rye too but I think I'll stick with field beans as green cover... my winters are not as severe as yours. Good luck with the rye and remember :banghead: :thumbs2:

bk-scouter

Farmer, I saw in another post that you mowed your beans down for the season. Do you do that for all of your 'crops' in the fall ? Any advice is appreciated :thumbs2:

-BK

farmer

BK,

Broad beans, Runner beans and Peas are the only crops I 'mulch' up with the mower..for these reasons, their stems can be woody and quite tough to break down in the compost heap, and reason two is time. They finish early so I can take away there supports, cut them off at ground level, leave them till they've wilted down, then chop 'em up. Then I put a thick coat of FYM on and till it in.

Winter squash, Sweet corn, Tomatoes, Peppers etc are later for me.. so I can't mess around, after they've done I'll clear all plant material to the compost heap, till the area, and get the beans in on both plots. Weather permitting I'm done by Halloween.

Hope this makes sense. :thumbs2:

bk-scouter

Sure does, thanks. Anyone else care to put in their .02 cents also?

-BK

shorts

mostly flowers here, was talking with the neighbor last night and figure that we have 2 more grass cuts and then 2 or 3 leaf/mulch pickups/days. that means that the potting soil pile needs turned and moved, last years leaf/mulch pile needs turned/moved in prep for this years leaves, I need to glear the trees and brush off of the east fence and prep a bed for berries in the spring, prep another 4X50 flower bed for the finance director, remove half a dozen stray chinese elm trees ftom the arborvities and hibuscus beds out back and finissh building a jib crane to plant a slate sidewalk with and install some precast concrete curbs along the driveway before the snow flies. sure am glad the finance director has the next 2 weeks off for our anniversary so she can help with some of the big projects if the weatherman will cooperate.

MaineDad

BK,

I would recommend pulling all of the plant waste and composting it again. That way you can kill any diseases with the heat from the composting. After the trash is clear, you should till the entire garden.

I would immediately sow Winter Rye all across the garden and disc or rake it in. I found that discing or raking the Winter Rye in really gives it a great start. But remember, you will need to till the Winter Rye a minimum of three times three weeks before you plant your spring seeds. Winter Rye releases a chemical that will kill weed seeds and your plant seeds.

Your climate in Michigan is probably similar to mine in Maine, so I am positive Winter Rye will be your best friend in the fight against weeds! Hope this has helped...

mnWHfan

Do you still need to till it three times if you plow it under in the spring and then till it?

bk-scouter

BK,

I would recommend pulling all of the plant waste and composting it again. That way you can kill any diseases with the heat from the composting. After the trash is clear, you should till the entire garden.

I would immediately sow Winter Rye all across the garden and disc or rake it in. I found that discing or raking the Winter Rye in really gives it a great start. But remember, you will need to till the Winter Rye a minimum of three times three weeks before you plant your spring seeds. Winter Rye releases a chemical that will kill weed seeds and your plant seeds.

Your climate in Michigan is probably similar to mine in Maine, so I am positive Winter Rye will be your best friend in the fight against weeds! Hope this has helped...

Thanks Micah :thumbs2: Will the winter rye affect any established plants (raspberry bushes) in the spring when it dies off ? I have these planted at the end of the garden and hate to see them get hurt. (I'll never hear the end of it from the wife :banghead: )

I'll have to hand-rake in the seeds since I don't own a disc attachment. When you mentioned tilling 3 times in the spring time, how long should you wait in between tillings, a couple days, a week ??

Thanks .

-BK

MaineDad

I would till it once per week for 3 weeks even after it was plowed under. The roots of Winter Rye are very extensive and need to be broken up. As far as the raspberry bushes, they will be fine.

After a couple of years of doing this, you will be amazed at how few weeds you have and how much darker the soil will become. I would also lime the plot in the fall every other year to maintain the PH level. Don't lime in the spring.

Have fun!

6wheeler

BK, I don't have an answer for you on the rye. Never planted it. What I do here is mow everthing into the garden except the corn. Then I spread some of my special seasoning on it, ( a horse manure pile I have been growing all summer, courtesy of my neighbor). Then I plow it all in. It seems to work for me well. As a matter of fact, the small garden, 30'X50', got its seasoning today. Plowing tomorrow night after work :banghead::thumbs2::banghead: . Pat

bk-scouter

Great tips guys. :thumbs2: Redsquare comes through again for me. I'm sure this info will help more people out there as well. And since Farmer asked, I'll try to post a few pics of my progress... Thanks !

-BK

bk-scouter

I just wrapped up getting the garden all prepped for winter. Here are a few pics of the process.

Starting off with getting the necessary equipment in place... :thumbs2:

PA030076.jpg

I pulled out all the plantings and hauled them over to my compost pile

PA030078.jpg

I removed all the fencing for easier access for mowing the weeds down(uhgh!). Getting ready to do some tilling while my dog makes his final inpection... :banghead:

PA070079.jpg

I was home by myself so this is the only tilling "action" shot I have.

PA070081.jpg

Finally planted the winter rye seed. I hand raked it in and gave it a drink of water since it was pretty dry out there and rain isn't expected until next week sometime..

PA070084.jpg

I appreciate everyones helpful posts. Hopefully we'll be seeing some growth here soon. Lots of 70's and 80's over the next few days.

-BK :banghead:

farmer

Not too much trash to bury and the soil worked down well, bumper crops next year. :thumbs2: